what brands of oil ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ssbroly

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the royal purple goes, not convinced. I've read more bad things about it than I have good. Apparently, it's comparible to a beer with a label on it that was printed off someone's computer. Sure, it'll get the job done, but what's it going to be like later. Been runnin the valvoline max life 5w-30. No issues here. Some people say it's a waste of money, but protect your investment. I change my oil myself, I never lose any in-between changes, usually just do every three months or less.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so with me having 78k miles...would anyone advise for me to run synthetic? doing an oil change in a couple of weeks...read somewhere that someone changes oil after his 500 then run synthetic for the life of the vehicle. is this a good practice?

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run the Valvoline Maxlife 5w20 and a quart of the lucas full synthetic. Run it for 5k and change with new motorcraft filter. We run really hot dry days for most of the year around here and I do alot of interstate driving with a 20' car trailer, when I do change it the oil still looks almost new with no consumption between changes. Bought the expy with 82k on it and imediatly changed the oil noticed that the little bit of liffter tick it had during start up went away and also noticed that it runs a little cooler ( about 10 degrees ) the expy now has 105k on it and I have only had her for a year. My wife has a 01 Grand Prix that now has 190k on it have always used the same oil configuration but with fram filters and have never had a problem with it ( still gets 36mpg interstate driving at 80mph with a 3.1 v6 ). Just my .02 but have had great luck with this setup.

Attachments

• 0830101801.jpg
    0830101801.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 120

gazbold

Reaction score
Mobil full synth'

As soon as I bought my current ride in 2008 (it was at 22000 miles) I was talked into going synthetic since the mileage was so low.
The first time I did the change-over I let a local lube shop do it.. They charged me $94 for oil and filter ! After paying I drove away telling the truck "enjoy it honey cause we're not doing that again in a hurry". Well I have to confess, over that 3000 mile period I got a 1.7mpg raise (I think it was attributable to the oil, I did nothing else different) and after a little shopping around I found I could change my OWN stinkin' oil and filter in Mobil-1 for less than $35. God bless Walmart. I got into buying a years worth and holding it in the garage.. $140 and I'm done.

Like it, my truck likes it, used it faithfully every 3000m ever since (2 yrs)
Pick a dry weekend and half an hour later it's done.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run royal purple in mine, it's been great for years. Ran it in other custom trucks I've had also. I swear the expy gets better mileage than the regular stuff. Also run K&N oil filter.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im running castrol gtx high mileage and fram high mileage filter. i change them both every 3000 miles. some times 3500 if i dont keep reminding my dad to get the oil. i like to run 5-30 but my dad usually gets 10-30.

iredvette

Reaction score
Oil help

I just bought a 2005 Expy with 100,000 miles on it. I don't want to use a synth' at this stage of the game, cause I'll have leaks all over the place. Any recommendations as what brand and weight? Thanks

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 Expy with 100,000 miles on it. I don't want to use a synth' at this stage of the game, cause I'll have leaks all over the place. Any recommendations as what brand and weight? Thanks

just use what im using. gtx. works great. but i switched to high mileage just because i burn oil and i just hit 152,000. and a fram filter is great too. weight all depends on what you want. i like to run 5w30 cause i have engine knocks when its cold. valve sticking. if i run 5w30 it dosent knock but if i have 10w30 it dose. so i know its the oil. its always done that.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this might explain my oil leak

ok you guys may call me stupid but im still using full synth' im using pennzoil platinum synth' 5w-30,i have 113,000 on the truck now,i been running like this for a while now i know i should be using high mileage oil but to me and this is just MY opinion,the truck runs better on the plat,but if this may help stop the leak in which im sure it wont,should i switch to h.m.??

bring_em_on

Reaction score
I have an '05 XLT 5.4L with 118k on it. I do Mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic every 5k miles. I recently had my cam phasers replaced (known issue with phasers, not because of oil) and when the mechanics pulled my valve covers the insides were spotless. They also ran a compression test and said it was almost factory spec!

All the guys at this shop swear by Amsoil. Between the 5 mechanics, they have over 100 years experience with cars and trucks. I do the changes myself so it's not like they stood to gain anything by having me switch. Amsoil and Wix filters for me from now on.

Update on this. I put 7 qts of Amsoil 5W20 and a Wix filter in last week. Then, I took a 370 mile road trip. I used to go about 340 miles on the trip meter before the low fuel indicator would come on. At 370 miles I was low but had about a gallon left when I stopped in to gas up. She also seemed to have more power on high speed acceleration. I'm sold on this stuff now!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker