What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYFarmin

Reaction score
According to the 2017 brochure, 3.73 Limited-Slip axle is standard on EL models. Heavy-duty trailer tow is standard on all models except XLT (and, likely, SSV or XL base models). Heavy-duty trailer tow is part of the 202A package on XLT which also includes heated and cooled front seats, memory seats, power tilt-and-telescoping steering column, 8-inch display with SYNC 3, dual-zone climate control, ambient lighting, power liftgate, and power-fold 3rd row seats.

That helps a lot. Odd how most salesmen don’t know their products that well even at the brand dealers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
Several blower motor resistors (finally had attach a heat sink to it with some modification).
Transmission bulkhead connector seal.
Leaking power steering cooler (cooler is incorporated into a/c condenser)

fe731as

Reaction score
Reading throught this thread, it doesn't seem like too many terrible problems for this Gen Expy.
*We are going to look at an '07 EL 4x4 w/ 134k miles. Desert southwest, so should be rust-free.
Known issues: Trans replaced (under fact warranty?) a few years back. Engine was just replaced, w/ a host of new accessory parts(valve & head gasket issue w/ the original engine?). *New engine has 3yr - unlimited mile warranty. Asking price seems fair. *It's for sale at my local garage, where I take my cars for service(s) I can't/don't want to perform.
Still have my '03 Expy E.B. 4x4 w/ 217k miles...just not sure how much longer I can expect it to be reliable...

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Reading throught this thread, it doesn't seem like too many terrible problems for this Gen Expy.
*We are going to look at an '07 EL 4x4 w/ 134k miles. Desert southwest, so should be rust-free.
Known issues: Trans replaced (under fact warranty?) a few years back. Engine was just replaced, w/ a host of new accessory parts(valve & head gasket issue w/ the original engine?). *New engine has 3yr - unlimited mile warranty. Asking price seems fair. *It's for sale at my local garage, where I take my cars for service(s) I can't/don't want to perform.
Still have my '03 Expy E.B. 4x4 w/ 217k miles...just not sure how much longer I can expect it to be reliable...

What's this fair price?

COULD be a great deal with new engine and tranny... but then again, wth did they do to kill both of em in the first place???? They're pretty hardy units, and 134k is low mileage for a truck

Kinda makes you wonder how it got that abused

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Adieu on this one. Be careful, a new trans and motor at 137 k? Sounds like the past owner/owners were hard on the SUV. Is the selling garage offering any kind of warranty?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yeah, something else to consider: would an '07 even normally sell for enough to cover a new engine swap??

And if it's a second hand engine on top of a replaced tranny, avoid like the plague unless they want like $3000 for it... not much more if it is new, either

Also, when buying older Expeditions, check against Navigators.... except for the transfer case (RWD/4A/4H no 4L) the mechanicals are all the same so service costs are identical, which people don't seem to realize. For example there's a no-accident '08 Gator 4x4 with 150k mi selling in Los Angeles for the princely sum of $7500... clean and loaded interior, too

Last edited:

fe731as

Reaction score
This one is listed for $10k locally - Las Vegas. Going prices for Expy's in Vegas are higher than most other areas. The engine is "new" 3 yr, unlimited mileage warranty. I've been taking my other cars there for service.
This shop has a repair history on the '07 going back to 75k miles. The previous engine had plugs replaced @ 132k miles - *By the dealership. They broke off the plug tip and left it in the cylinder....100 miles down the road, the valves tried to eat the tip, unsuccessfully. The shop has had it sitting for 2 years, and just replaced the engine, mid-December '18. The shop is offering 1 year/12k miles on the engine, w/ 6months on the rest of the drivetrain. I'm expecting that should be enough to discover any 'bugs' not immediately noticeable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire