When did you do you the first oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redstripe19

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a new 2019 XLT recently and have about 1300 miles on it now. I used to have a Shelby and the guys on those forums were doing the first oil change at 500-1000 miles or earlier. Is this important to do with the Expedition and do you use full synthetic?

Sowie1701

Reaction score
I have 7000miles on mine and it says I still have30% left. We have free oil changes at dealer. Can change it at 20% or less they say. Synthetic is what they always put in our last explorer sport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In all my vehicles I will do the first at 2500 miles then the second at 5000 then every 5K after that. Any motor that has forced induction will always have contaminated oil before the oil breaks down so I spend my money on more oil changes than high end oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stricnine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I change my oil at 6k, simply because it keeps my tire rotations and oil changes in line. Hahahaha

F150 Pat

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First one at 5K and every 5K afterwards. I also send in a sample to Blackstone for an oil anaylsis. First sample at 5K had the usual break-in readings but they also commented the viscosity was slightly low for 5-30. Make me wonder about an oil that cant hold its viscosity for a lousy 5K miles. I run Mobil 1 now.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The longer you wait to change the oil, the sooner you will replace your cam phasers.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3,500 miles, but it was 6 months old at the time. Nice not having to negotiate commuter traffic any more. That would easily have been a month's mileage before i retired.

Sowie1701

Reaction score
So it seems like a lot of you are changing oil at 5k. Why so if your oil life indicator is still at 30-40%? Seems like a waste of money to change sooner than needed especially if using synthetic. I thought there was a sensor to detect contaminants in oil for the % readout. Anyone know for sure?

My dealer provides lifetime power train warranty on all its new vehicles so I’m not as concerned on potential wear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk