Where to get a very good deal on Extended Warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What I mean is what does ‘time and mileage’ mean.

Assuming it’s just time based...if you buy a plan when you get your car and get a 6 year plan for $1500 then cancel at the end of year 5 you’ll get $240 back after, effectively, one year of coverage.

The plans aren’t really ‘6 years’ or whatever. My navigator has a 4 year bumper to bumper and a 6 year powertrain. The ESP would only be effective in year 7 and beyond but I’d have to buy a 7+ year ESP for that to happen.

all of these plans begin at the original date of in service....even if you buy a used car thats 3 yrs old w/ 50k miles on it and add an extended warranty for 5 yr 100k (you're really only getting 2 yrs 50k).

Its always been a head shake for me....the vehicle is covered for 3/36 so its not like the underwriter really has to pay/cover anything until after that.

the RISK is low for the underwriter before 3/36 and I'm sure the actuaries have figured out when the risk increases and the likelihood of having to pay out over the next 2yrs / 64,000 mi - im sure the pro rata ramps up (or down depending on your point of view) as time goes on.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all of these plans begin at the original date of in service....even if you buy a used car thats 3 yrs old w/ 50k miles on it and add an extended warranty for 5 yr 100k (you're really only getting 2 yrs 50k).

Its always been a head shake for me....the vehicle is covered for 3/36 so its not like the underwriter really has to pay/cover anything until after that.

the RISK is low for the underwriter before 3/36 and I'm sure the actuaries have figured out when the risk increases and the likelihood of having to pay out over the next 2yrs / 64,000 mi - im sure the pro rata ramps up (or down depending on your point of view) as time goes on.

There is zero risk during bumper to bumper (4 years / 50k for navigator) goes up a little in year 5 (but powertrain is still good) and then only has ‘full risk’ in year 7 and beyond.

So a 4 year warranty is completely worthless, a 6 year is ~50% worthless. A 7 year gets you ONE year of a warranty out of the ‘7’.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are benefits to the ESPs (at least the PremiumCare) during the factory warranty, I’m thinking specifically a loaner/rental. There are others but I can’t think of them right now. That may be of less use for a Navi if Lincoln always provides loaners, but Ford does NOT.

So yes, the WARRANTY doesn’t kick in until the factory rolls off, but there are other benefits in the meantime.

Last edited:

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but they’re are other benefits in the meantime.

Really? If you’re in an accident then insurance would cover a rental and if there’s a warranty repair my dealer better damn well give me a loaner if it’s gonna be more than a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really? If you’re in an accident then insurance would cover a rental and if there’s a warranty repair my dealer better damn well give me a loaner if it’s gonna be more than a day or two.

I agree with you! But no, Ford does not generally provide a loaner for a warranty repair. Or an oil change. Or anything. It’s a dealer-by-dealer thing. But when I go in, for anything, warranty or otherwise, I say I need a loaner and I have PremiumCare. And they say “ok, because you have PremiumCare we can do that.”

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with you! But no, Ford does not generally provide a loaner for a warranty repair. Or an oil change. Or anything. It’s a dealer-by-dealer thing. But when I go in, for anything, warranty or otherwise, I say I need a loaner and I have PremiumCare. And they say “ok, because you have PremiumCare we can do that.”

That stinks.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can add vehicle rental to the extended warranty for a reasonable price.