Who had success with dealership dealing with turbo rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expy is in the shop for a wheel bearing and another set of cam phasers (sigh).

The turbos have been super rattly since the first set of phasers I had replaced and I told them back then and they ignored it and I was in a hurry and didn't feel like dealing with them. Now closer to the end of my warranty I want the turbo rattle fixed.

I was wondering who has success with the dealership getting this issue resolved? Is there something I can tell them to make them listen? Do I need to go over the dealers head? I just think an 80k vehicle should not sound like $h!t. Any advice would be appreciated.

blackedoutlimited

Reaction score
My Expy is in the shop for a wheel bearing and another set of cam phasers (sigh).

The turbos have been super rattly since the first set of phasers I had replaced and I told them back then and they ignored it and I was in a hurry and didn't feel like dealing with them. Now closer to the end of my warranty I want the turbo rattle fixed.

I was wondering who has success with the dealership getting this issue resolved? Is there something I can tell them to make them listen? Do I need to go over the dealers head? I just think an 80k vehicle should not sound like $h!t. Any advice would be appreciated.
Are you sure it’s turbo rattle and not the more common wastegate rattle? Hundreds of 2nd gen 3.5s are plagued by wastegate rattle tht dealerships fix

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I suppose you could say I had success.

I took it in for wastegate rattle about a 18 months ago.
I had the TSB in hand for the F150 wastegate rattle (same turbo)
I had a video recording of my engine making the noise.

The service ”advisor” said she wasn’t familiar with the problem.
Ya don’t say…
I asked to speak directly to the engine tech, and I showed him the video. He knew immediately what my concern was and knew of the TSB being performed on F150’s.

They had my Expy for about an hour, and then called me to say they were ordering two new turbos.

Success right? Both turbos were replaced, (also had the cam phaser job done) and when i got it back from them, the sound at cold start was a thing of beauty—no ticks, no rattles, just a nice smooth exhaust note and a little turbo whistle—exactly how it should be.

Within 2 months the turbos were rattling again like a heat shield on a Pinto exhaust.
And 15 months later, my cam phaser knocking was back.

It’s just a poorly designed wastegate. Cheap materials and loose tolerances. A new POS part, is still a POS part.
Ford won’t do anything about it unless/until the part has degraded to the point of impacting engine performance—and good luck proving that.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, I was crestfallen.
And then when the cam phaser knock came back, I just gave up.
If it were a $30,000 vehicle I would still be irritated, but a sticker of $82,000 ?…

Every time I get in and start it up, I am cringing at the sounds. Totally sucked the joy out of owning this awesome machine.
Ford should be ashamed.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford doesn't care! They don't care about the waste gate, they don't care about the cam phasers, they flat out don't care about you. They have your money. Have a Ford day!

Unless things have changed with the 2021, 2022's, I laugh at all these guys buying new ones. Guess they don't read these threads, or hope theirs will be better. I just SMH.....no offense.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I told my dealer about the rattle, they looked at it listened to it and asked if they could keep it a couple days while the turbo was shipped to them. A few days later I picked it up with a new turbo. Its quiet now. I'm only at 37,000 miles and my cm phasers have yet to ever rattle and mines an 18.

ygfvdrrtffy

Reaction score

check this video out. Guy added a pre-oiler to his 3.5L. problem solved with phasers.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took mine 2018 in for the wastegate rattle and they replaced both turbos. The writeup said there was too much play in the impeller or something along those lines, but I wonder if that was just the tech's way of getting them replaced.