2018 Engine Replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, all vehicles have problems. the question is: how do maintenance and repair costs compare? I don't believe a bar chart that shows historically POS brands doing better than historically high quality brands. I'd have to see more about how jeep, et al, turned their historically bad quality around in a couple of years before I believe it.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd have to see more about how jeep, et al, turned their historically bad quality around in a couple of years before I believe it.

This is an easy one. They stopped making their own vehicles... We can thank Mercedes for the uptick in quality. It's also why they are getting long in the tooth. They are too afraid to change them! Ha...

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes, all vehicles have problems. the question is: how do maintenance and repair costs compare? I don't believe a bar chart that shows historically POS brands doing better than historically high quality brands. I'd have to see more about how jeep, et al, turned their historically bad quality around in a couple of years before I believe it.
I wouldn’t touch a Dodge, or Heep... I mean Jeep. Nope, nope nope.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it's quality control and inconsistent parts/assembly. Ford has a ton of these vehicles on the road, and they seem to be hit or miss in reliability. My blower motor is burning up its connector and my driver side seat control housing has seperated from the seat. None of my Hondas had these types of issues, just routine maintenance till 150k and no issues with interior trim. I wouldn't want to own one of these vehicles without an extended warranty. If Toyota ever released an extended wheelbase Sequoia with a modern power train, I would jump ship.

I can’t believe some of these engines crap out so soon. Wonder if it’s cause of the turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t believe some of these engines crap out so soon. Wonder if it’s cause of the turbos.

I don't think so. There are many examples of Ecoboost engines with well over 150k. Now people are complaining that the Coyote 5.0 is burning oil because of the cylinder lining. I think it's something about Ford's design philosophy... perhaps too much penny pinching in certain areas. Given the volume of vehicles, small savings add up. But some of the savings are likely at the cost of durability.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is an easy one. They stopped making their own vehicles... We can thank Mercedes for the uptick in quality. It's also why they are getting long in the tooth. They are too afraid to change them! Ha...

mercedes is a brand with historically high quality that has gone into the crapper in the last few years. they might be doing better, but not consistently.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

add on turbos, even OEM turbos that are added to engines that were not originally designed with turbos, can quickly wear out an engine. there's a reason diesel engines seem to be relatively unaffected by turbos.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
add on turbos, even OEM turbos that are added to engines that were not originally designed with turbos, can quickly wear out an engine. there's a reason diesel engines seem to be relatively unaffected by turbos.
The Ecoboost was designed for turbos.

Barry Smith

Reaction score
Problems reported by owners in the first 90 days, yes.

I have read some speculation that it skews the data because someone laying money out for a Tesla or a Rover (for instance) are going to be much more likely to go over the vehicle checking for defects and problems whereas a Dodge buyer is less likely to do so. (The Dodge buyer is still just excited he got approved for financing. BOOM, got you good Dodge drivers. I’m kidding, it’s a joke.)
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Kia owners would be more impressed with a new vehicle than say a Mercedes owner.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking exactly the same thing. Kia owners would be more impressed with a new vehicle than say a Mercedes owner.
And more likely to let things slide. To be perfectly honest, I have come across several things in my Expi that are not as they should be, certainly not at the Platinum price point. But I usually just shrug my shoulders and say "eh, it's a Ford." I would not do the same if it were from a manufacturer that you're supposedly paying up for quality, i.e. the Germans.

(I acknowledge many might not share my laissez-faire attitude about an $80k vehicle, but I guess I care more about my blood pressure than a stitch or a panel gap, haha.)