2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand, seems to me that with the level of sophistication in these and the on board computers, how the diagnostics systems weren't able to find the strange sensor readings. Further more, in many "smart" systems these days, sensors are serialized in a way that should log the exact sensor type that sent a reading, which in this case would have instantly helped. Regardless, so glad it's working.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand, seems to me that with the level of sophistication in these and the on board computers, how the diagnostics systems weren't able to find the strange sensor readings. Further more, in many "smart" systems these days, sensors are serialized in a way that should log the exact sensor type that sent a reading, which in this case would have instantly helped. Regardless, so glad it's working.
Get this..... Said Ford field Service Rep brought in some "super computer" to diagnose this BS and even that POS couldn't find a wire swapped. So pathetic.

The dealer mechanics did well in my opinion. Obviously they swapped the wire on the install, but I feel this 'genius' sent in from Ford should of been able to find something so simple in an hour, not 2 weeks.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing, my Navigator lived its first 2 years in Arizona, so it never saw road salt and that's actually why I really liked it. Then last winter I coated the entire bottom in Fluid film, so its literally rust free underneath. If Lincoln gave me a different Navigator, it would likely be from Michigan and the frame and suspension and steel would be solid orange rust like all the other ones are around here. Their steel paint prep is total $hit in my opinion, I look at them all the time locally and they are all surface rust underneath and it makes me ill. For what it's worth.......I HATE rust,

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Deadman, I'm happy for you. Fingers crossed it's fixed. You truly are a better man than me. I understand and agree on everything you said.

This poop show just doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy. Ford should be embarrassed by this, but I'm sure, they don't care. I think this is exactly why I'm going Toyota/Lexus/Genesis next. Not that it can't happen to them, but......

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Deadman, I'm happy for you. Fingers crossed it's fixed. You truly are a better man than me. I understand and agree on everything you said.

This poop show just doesn't leave me with a warm fuzzy. Ford should be embarrassed by this, but I'm sure, they don't care. I think this is exactly why I'm going Toyota/Lexus/Genesis next. Not that it can't happen to them, but......

I just don't hear this BS with ALL my friends Toyotas and such. Fords not on my future purchase list, they're just lucky they offered a Giant SUV while everyone else backed away and built smaller ones.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another thing, my Navigator lived its first 2 years in Arizona, so it never saw road salt and that's actually why I really liked it. Then last winter I coated the entire bottom in Fluid film, so its literally rust free underneath. If Lincoln gave me a different Navigator, it would likely be from Michigan and the frame and suspension and steel would be solid orange rust like all the other ones are around here. Their steel paint prep is total $hit in my opinion, I look at them all the time locally and they are all surface rust underneath and it makes me ill. For what it's worth.......I HATE rust,
The surface rust thing is a big deal for me. Like you, I'm far to **** to ignore something like that. And they say it's just surface rust, but surface rust on bolts etc. Is no fun. Makes maintenance way harder and we all know, once rust starts, it spreads. To me it seems like they purposely skipped see chassis prep to cut corners, literally several previous generations had no issues. Then, I think about my Jeep that literally drive through rovers and never showed any signs of chassis rust after 120k miles and 8 years... Hum.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The surface rust thing is a big deal for me. Like you, I'm far to **** to ignore something like that. And they say it's just surface rust, but surface rust on bolts etc. Is no fun. Makes maintenance way harder and we all know, once rust starts, it spreads. To me it seems like they purposely skipped see chassis prep to cut corners, literally several previous generations had no issues. Then, I think about my Jeep that literally drive through rovers and never showed any signs of chassis rust after 120k miles and 8 years... Hum.
Not sure if Jeep changed something on the newer models but the old TJ Wranglers were known for the rear boxed frame rails rusting from inside out. I bought my 99 TJ used knowing that I had to do a frame repair on it. I bought it for a cheap price because of the frame condition and didn’t have to worry about inspection because I have no intentions of using it for on road. By the time you see the rust on the outside, it’s pretty much done. Here’s some pictures of before and after cleaning, sandblasting, and welding on a fabricated steel patches.

Attachments

• 64C1F6CA-EEBA-4557-860B-8468A60CE7EA.jpeg
    64C1F6CA-EEBA-4557-860B-8468A60CE7EA.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 88C1C82A-C6C8-4E08-9AA5-D983C0A20AD7.jpeg
    88C1C82A-C6C8-4E08-9AA5-D983C0A20AD7.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 7
  • F797BBF3-1B7A-4F63-BBCC-1C6B568E8D1F.jpeg
    F797BBF3-1B7A-4F63-BBCC-1C6B568E8D1F.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 7
  • FCE40268-63C4-4E7E-995F-A87FC5E6CA9D.jpeg
    FCE40268-63C4-4E7E-995F-A87FC5E6CA9D.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 12A9D2FF-EF00-4586-83E9-3CFF3FC38AB3.jpeg
    12A9D2FF-EF00-4586-83E9-3CFF3FC38AB3.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My 2018 Expedition was almost a year old hold over when I bought it new. When It got delivered to me (Dealer trade out of state), I couldn't believe that it was brand new and already had rust on nearly every part of the suspension. I mean it literally had like 80 miles on it when the dealer trade happened. It must have been run in some salt and left sit, because It was pathetic looking. I immediately fluid filmed it......

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if Jeep changed something on the newer models but the old TJ Wranglers were known for the rear tube frame rails rusting from inside out. I bought my 99 TJ used knowing that I had to do a frame repair on it. I bought it for a cheap price because of the frame condition and didn’t have to worry about inspection because I have no intentions of using it for on road. By the time you see the rust on the outside, it’s pretty much done. Here’s some pictures of before and after cleaning, sandblasting, and welding on a fabricated steel patches.
That wasn't one of the unibody versions. Since roughly 98' I believe, all of the unibody jeeps like the grand Cherokee had some awesome anodizing done. The only rust I ever had after 8yrs and 125k was on a winch mount (aftermarket) and near one of the roof rails. I believe most of the wranglers get the same process today.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We logged 400 miles on this Navigator since it's surgery.
Lets just say its got $hit tons more power than it ever had before and the trans is happier with the torque. It used to downshift on hills and stupid things, now it just grunts its way up in high gear. In the rain its pretty entertaining, its engaging the traction control until over 50 mph! lol. My expedition has NOTHING on this 3.5L ** now that it runs right!
The exhaust quieted down since it runs right, so the drone on the highway is manageable now. It drones too much, but its tolerable.

Anyway, I'm glad its running well...... It has a slight exhaust leak they can fix at the next oil change, but I fully expected some kind of leak after this major surgery.