2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wifes 2011 Hyundai has almost 200,000 miles on it, and its been nothing but tires, a set of struts, brake pads and oil changes....

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the field service rep is now in charge of this repair and the dealer mechanics aren't able to work on it unless he advises them on the next steps to look at.
They thought the factory long block may have been shipped with installation pins left in the cam phasers, so the dealer mechanics pulled the valve covers and found they DIDN'T leave any pins in them, so they are correctly installed. The tech is considering having the dealer mechanics put "ANOTHER set of cam phasers" in this BRAND NEW ENGINE. Like WTF? Its rattling cam phasers and throwing cam phaser codes still.. The dealer pulled the front covers off and verified that the timing is "physically" set correctly and all the timing marks are lined up properly as they should be. I just can't imagine what else is causing all this BS.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the field service rep is now in charge of this repair and the dealer mechanics aren't able to work on it unless he advises them on the next steps to look at.
They thought the factory long block may have been shipped with installation pins left in the cam phasers, so the dealer mechanics pulled the valve covers and found they DIDN'T leave any pins in them, so they are correctly installed. The tech is considering having the dealer mechanics put "ANOTHER set of cam phasers" in this BRAND NEW ENGINE. Like WTF? Its rattling cam phasers and throwing cam phaser codes still.. The dealer pulled the front covers off and verified that the timing is "physically" set correctly and all the timing marks are lined up properly as they should be. I just can't imagine what else is causing all this BS.
dude - this is painful to hear

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you feel like they are using your rig to test for future fixes, lol? Seriously, I feel for you. I know you don't necessarily need the rig, but I can assure all I likely won't keep mine if it needs a second set, (at least in the next couple of years).

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I just can't imagine what else is causing all this BS.
Internal casting defects, oil pressure problems caused by internal leakage elsewhere in the block?

If this is actually what is happening, that engine has to go back to Engineering QA at Ford. But I suspect this is a problem that someone in Engineering knows all about.

For all we know these returned blocks are stacked up like cord-wood in some Ford warehouse. It's all frankly a little hard to believe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lincoln Rep will call me back within a week to notify me of their decision if they will buy it back or not.......

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lincoln Rep will call me back within a week to notify me of their decision if they will buy it back or not.......
this is pretty nuts.

were you ever able to get info from them on what deep dark portion of the original engine was blocked with sealant from the factory build.... so those of us who have recurring issues can arm ourselves with that knowledge when dealing with our own lesser versions of your nightmare? any clues would be greatly appreciated / mine is acting all sorts of weird & the more info i have the more my dealer will help search for the root problem. theyre as fed up as we are & im sure getting pennies on the dollar for these warranty repairs.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this is pretty nuts.

were you ever able to get info from them on what deep dark portion of the original engine was blocked with sealant from the factory build.... so those of us who have recurring issues can arm ourselves with that knowledge when dealing with our own lesser versions of your nightmare? any clues would be greatly appreciated / mine is acting all sorts of weird & the more info i have the more my dealer will help search for the root problem. theyre as fed up as we are & im sure getting pennies on the dollar for these warranty repairs.
They didn't specifically say. Its now in the hands of the ford field rep, so the dealer doesn't even make the calls now at to what they can and can't try next. I just know it was an oil passage of some sort because the camshaft was scored.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They didn't specifically say. Its now in the hands of the ford field rep, so the dealer doesn't even make the calls now at to what they can and can't try next. I just know it was an oil passage of some sort because the camshaft was scored.
thanks, well at least we discovered as much as we did here.... i sincerely hope they pony up & treat you right on this considering everything. i also hope you get some decent “lincoln effect” love that us ford folks may not get a chance to experience.. i’m not getting my hopes up that there will be any large scale resolution to this issue for the masses. what a total s***show. keep us posted on the fireworks!