2019 Fx4 - Correct towing Capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mswanson25

Reaction score
Hi, I know that a Heavy Tow Package (536) on 2019 will achieve maximum tow. When I read the online towing sheet:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../guides/19Towing_Ford_Expedition_r1_Dec21.pdf

I notice that the 3.73 axle ratio determines the towing capacity. The FX4 package also has a 3.73 ratio.

So my question is, what is the proper towing capacity for a 2019 equiped with the FX4 package, but WITHOUT the 536 package?

6000 or 9200lbs?

Thanks much!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming you add a trailer brake controller it should be 9200lbs. I am not aware of them adding anything else to the drivetrain with the tow package. I believe they all have the same transmission and engine cooling equipment.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What duneslider said. If you get the FX4 package, the max tow package only gets you two things: the trailer brake controller and the trailer backup assist software. If you don't want/need the trailer backup assist software, the trailer brake controller is available as a dealer installed option...

*Getting the FX4 package does net a small discount on the price of the max tow package .

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heavy duty tow package also adds a radiator upgrade and the two speed 4wd function (4-low), in addition to the 3.73 axle ratio.
Maybe the FX4 package adds the 2 speed 4wd, but what about the upgraded radiator?

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heavy duty tow package also adds a radiator upgrade and the two speed 4wd function (4-low), in addition to the 3.73 axle ratio.
Maybe the FX4 package adds the 2 speed 4wd, but what about the upgraded radiator?

Does it really add an upgraded radiator? I haven't been able to find proof that it does. The parts guy at the local ford dealer told me there is only one part # for the radiator on the expedition. Do you have some better info? This was my first time in to this ford dealer and I don't know if he really knows what he is talking about.

FX4 adds all the 4 wheel drive stuff as it is the offroad package.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just checked online - FX4 package also has the 2 speed 4wd transfer case and a heavy duty radiator. Looks like the "pro trailer backup assist" and trailer brake controller are the only things missing from the 9200 lb HD tow package.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it really add an upgraded radiator? I haven't been able to find proof that it does. The parts guy at the local ford dealer told me there is only one part # for the radiator on the expedition. Do you have some better info? This was my first time in to this ford dealer and I don't know if he really knows what he is talking about.

FX4 adds all the 4 wheel drive stuff as it is the offroad package.
Not only was I told verbally that the HD tow package includes an upgraded radiator, but the PDF ordering guides and features lists online show an upgraded radiator included with heavy duty tow package.

I'm no parts expert though.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
parts.ford.com shows two radiators for the Expedition: RAD130 for standard duty radiator and RAD152 for the heavy duty radiator. If I search my VIN, only the RAD152 (heavy duty) is available.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been said that Ford massively underrates towing capacity, probably for upselling options and superduties

There's hotshot trucker guys running around towing 25 - 30k lbs commercial freight all day every day with dually pickups... apparently it's even 100% legal, fully insured and aboveboard. yeah they're SOMEWHAT better equipped for towing, but hardly 5X better

Tripinbillie

Reaction score
Note towing capacity is not the first thing you run out of, its payload. You need to figure on how much weight you’d be adding to the vehicle with people, gear, etc + the tongue weight of the thing your towing..