2023 Sequoia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1/2 ton based full size SUV market is about to get pretty competitive in 2023. Updated 2022 Expedition, 2023 Toyota Sequoia, and the long wheel base Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneers.
Now if only Ford would build a new Excursion. I would love to have a high payload in a full size SUV.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another wonder. I guess either it's a supply issue, wanting to keep price down until redesign, or waiting for competition, who knows.
Seems like they'd have to have an access panel for the PowerBoost outlets on the passenger's side rear fender. Need to be able to let the vehicle idle with the rear hatch closed and still use the generator function. F150 doesn't have this issue with the bed configuration. Perhaps Ford will offer PowerBoost on the SuperDuty line as well.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 1/2 ton based full size SUV market is about to get pretty competitive in 2023. Updated 2022 Expedition, 2023 Toyota Sequoia, and the long wheel base Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneers.
I sat in the Wagoneer briefly at the Houston Auto Show. Very nice interior. The console storage and dash infomatics were huge. But I can't fathom paying the price they're asking for a Stellantis product given their reputation. It'll probably be half off as soon as vehicle production recovers. And the poor mpg, even when not towing, is a complete turn off.

I think the Expedition and Tahoe/Yukon are still the best offerings in the segment. The Tahoe independent rear finally brought the 3rd row up par with Minivan interiors, lol. People hate on minivans, but I'm all about functionality. Until I had a camper I had no issue driving minivans.
Seems like they'd have to have an access panel for the PowerBoost outlets on the passenger's side rear fender. Need to be able to let the vehicle idle with the rear hatch closed and still use the generator function. F150 doesn't have this issue with the bed configuration. Perhaps Ford will offer PowerBoost on the SuperDuty line as well.

That's a good point. A panel on the outside rear hatch would be complicated with all the wiring. Bumper mount is a recipe for damage. Interior would not work well if you're powering your house in an outage and want the truck secured. I think the driver rear quarter might be the best compromise.
Now if only Ford would build a new Excursion. I would love to have a high payload in a full size SUV.
I'm really surprised Ford hasn't done it with all the demand for trucks and campers. The 1/2 tons are really payload limited for towing large campers with families. MPG probably wouldn't be any worse than the existing Superduty. GM did 20 mpg years with the 6.0l Tahoe hybrid. If Ford could close to that on a 3/4-ton hybrid Excursion it would sell like hotcakes.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 Liter Tahoe Hybrid was wayyy ahead of its time. Got really good Mpg out of a mammoth V8 and had insane torque. At the time (2008) there was no demand for big truck hybrids and it wasn’t popular. The tech was seen as foreign and too new.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alex did a thorough walk through of the sequoia with a little more info than in press release material. I think I understand why the expy doesn't have the hybrid, and it's really pretty simple...no room for battery. The sequoia packaging is wholly dependent in the battery, so they jad to make concessions on space. Unlike ram with their etorque, Ford most likely didn't even build the powerboost with the expy in mind, so there's nowhere for the battery to fit. Makes sense, to me, the fuel tank is already smallish in the f150. Would people take the powerboost if the tank was made to be 16 gal instead of 23?

DTXDriver

Reaction score
I’m coming from a Tahoe and wanted a capable off road/ranch family hauler. I’ve been waiting on the debut of the sequoia TRD pro for months. I was gushing about my next car throughout the debut until I saw the lack of cargo with the 3rd row folded. Total deal breaker. I ordered an expy timberline 3 days later. Excited to join the dark side after 25 years of chevy.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m coming from a Tahoe and wanted a capable off road/ranch family hauler. I’ve been waiting on the debut of the sequoia TRD pro for months. I was gushing about my next car throughout the debut until I saw the lack of cargo with the 3rd row folded. Total deal breaker. I ordered an expy timberline 3 days later. Excited to join the dark side after 25 years of chevy.
Was the tahoe z71 or yukon at4 not an option?

DTXDriver

Reaction score
Yukon AT4 was the only other option I considered and I would have probably really liked it. But the HO 3.5 and the unique interior did it for me. I think both are plenty capable for ranch trips and road trips with the fam. Just had to finally make a decision.

maxlim2022

Full Access Members
Reaction score
welcome to the dark :eek: side:). awaiting our first Ford truck as well.

TsmH

Reaction score
Had my Sequoia almost 12 years waiting for an upgrade and body style change. The gas mileage was awful but we never had a single issue the entire time we owned it. Only regular maintenance. Our middle child went 7 hours away to college and I sold it for my Expedition. No way we would purchase this with that 3rd row. Our old Sequoia 2nd and 3rd rows were extremely comfortable. I’m so disappointed. Would have gotten a new one immediately but you’re right they missed the mark on this one. Ugh .