3.73 limited slip differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
GB19XLT

GB19XLT

Reaction score
Same GVWR as mine. I'm laying in it right now. We're 12 hours from home in Northern New Mexico. Towed it out here with no issues.

what kinda trailer do you got? We are looking around at different ones. The one we like is the Alpha Wolf 26-DBH-l

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"We have the 2020 Expy Plat 4x4 w/ Tow Pkg and are kicking ourselves for not getting the extended wheelbase MAX. 5 more gallons of fuel and a foot longer wheelbase....which might make a difference with 32ft 6400lb trailer."

Not from personal experience mind you, but from what I know--that longer wheelbase will definitely make for a better tow vehicle when the weight gets up there. And one of the things with manufacturers tow ratings--there is no standard of measurement (same reason some tires, despite having the same number on sidewall, are taller or wider etc.)

I really believe there is a niche for an F250 styled frame, full 6.7 diesel Expy (albeit a small one), most especially if they TREMOR'ed it. YMMV...

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what kinda trailer do you got? We are looking around at different ones. The one we like is the Alpha Wolf 26-DBH-l

Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL. Lightweight West Coast bunkhouse model. Works great for our family, we normally have 4 or 5 traveling. Not sure what the difference is between the west coast non-west coast model. We're camping in New Mexico right now.

OP
OP
GB19XLT

GB19XLT

Reaction score
Salem Cruise Light T282QBXL. Lightweight West Coast bunkhouse model. Works great for our family, we normally have 4 or 5 traveling. Not sure what the difference is between the west coast non-west coast model. We're camping in New Mexico right now.

Just looked it up. its nice and has a ton of beds! Shows 7750 GVWR. You have no issues towing? And you tow it in your '17 EXPY? Which I believe says a 6,600 tow cap.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just looked it up. its nice and has a ton of beds! Shows 7750 GVWR. You have no issues towing? And you tow it in your '17 EXPY? Which I believe says a 6,600 tow cap.

Max tow with HD tow package is 9200 with weight distribution hitch. Pulls great traveling between 60 and 70. I'm a bad boy because my trailer tires are rated to 65 MPH. But there's a difference traveling 65 in 100 degrees and 70 in 60 degrees. I take the risk when I feel it is appropriate. If it gets windy, or hot, I slow down. The payload runs out before getting anywhere near the 9,200 tow rating.

Chris Alcala

Reaction score
I really believe there is a niche for an F250 styled frame, full 6.7 diesel Expy (albeit a small one), most especially if they TREMOR'ed it. YMMV...

Yes, as evidenced by the Excursion market that is still very alive. I would go with a 3/4 ton variant in a heartbeat. Honestly, if they would just go with some heavier components they could just beef everything up a little and probably get the tow rating closer to the 12000lbs range which would accomplish what 90% of that niche wants. Hell, the transits with the 3.5EB and DRW are beasts. Rather than make a standalone vehicle they could just take the MAX and beef it up. Although, people would have to realize they wouldn’t be getting that Cadillac smooth ride with stiffer springs.

I know you used to be able to get a suburban in 2500. Wonder what Ford can do in this arena now that they dont have to take all the heat for the “gas guzzling” excursion.

Chris Alcala

Reaction score
Max tow with HD tow package is 9200 with weight distribution hitch. Pulls great traveling between 60 and 70. I'm a bad boy because my trailer tires are rated to 65 MPH. But there's a difference traveling 65 in 100 degrees and 70 in 60 degrees. I take the risk when I feel it is appropriate. If it gets windy, or hot, I slow down. The payload runs out before getting anywhere near the 9,200 tow rating.

Best thing I have done is upgrade my TT tires to ones that are rated at 86mph. Even in my 2015 with the 1st gen EB I can maintain 75mph with a ~7500lbs load. I just pulled for the first time with the Bilstein 5100’s installed and it was even better than stock as far as sway and stability, although that was with an empty car and no extras in the trailer, so I would say closer to 6800lbs on the trailer and missing 4 people in the Expy.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best thing I have done is upgrade my TT tires to ones that are rated at 86mph. Even in my 2015 with the 1st gen EB I can maintain 75mph with a ~7500lbs load. I just pulled for the first time with the Bilstein 5100’s installed and it was even better than stock as far as sway and stability, although that was with an empty car and no extras in the trailer, so I would say closer to 6800lbs on the trailer and missing 4 people in the Expy.

I've contemplated making the jump to load range "E" tires, but for me the higher speed rating isn't much of a benefit. MPG drops precipitously as you go past 60mph, so I generally stay around 65. I've heard the "E" trailer tires also make the trailer ride bouncy and stiff. My tow vehicle is also a daily driver, so I'm sensitive to mpg and ride quality. The one thing that does appeal is the improved durability of the tire. But I'm waiting on my next set of tires to make a decision since I still have tread left.

Chris Alcala

Reaction score
I've contemplated making the jump to load range "E" tires, but for me the higher speed rating isn't much of a benefit. MPG drops precipitously as you go past 60mph, so I generally stay around 65. I've heard the "E" trailer tires also make the trailer ride bouncy and stiff. My tow vehicle is also a daily driver, so I'm sensitive to mpg and ride quality. The one thing that does appeal is the improved durability of the tire. But I'm waiting on my next set of tires to make a decision since I still have tread left.

I get you with the MPG thing. I really stay between 70-75 when pulling. The difference is 2 MPG at most so 9.5mpg for strict not above 65 vs 7.5mpg maintain 70-75 as best I can. Thats not really that much of a trade off to stay at the lower speeds for me, especially given its a difference in 10 or 12 MPG from daily driving. Being on any interstate in Texas and trying to keep it under 65 usually means you are stuck in the middle or right lane, and will constantly be slowing down depending on traffic. I would argue that you end up using more gas trying to get back up to speed anytime you have to slow down. I tend to stick to the middle, keep my speed where I want it, and preemptively use the left lane to maintain that speed.

b17drvr

Reaction score
The limiting factor is payload. Average excursion payload is around 1500 pounds. Take the 800 pounds of tongue weight out of that and that is not much payload to play with.