Auto Stop/Start intermittent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmmiller12

Reaction score
First post. Recently purchased a 2019 Expedition Max, 48k miles. Great vehicle so far, but several electrical gremlins. The auto stop/start feature intermittently works in conjunction with the rear overhead lights staying on. The two are directly related because whenever the stop/start is working, the lights in the rear turn off (specifically the two overhead lights over the second row). When the auto stop start is not working, the dash displays the "A" symbol so it thinks the feature is on. At the same time the rear lights stay on, and cannot be turned off by pressing them. A mechanic at the dealership said the car might think a door is open, but there is no indication on the dash that a door is ajar. Where should I start troubleshooting this problem?

Lawrence T-D

Reaction score
First post. Recently purchased a 2019 Expedition Max, 48k miles. Great vehicle so far, but several electrical gremlins. The auto stop/start feature intermittently works in conjunction with the rear overhead lights staying on. The two are directly related because whenever the stop/start is working, the lights in the rear turn off (specifically the two overhead lights over the second row). When the auto stop start is not working, the dash displays the "A" symbol so it thinks the feature is on. At the same time the rear lights stay on, and cannot be turned off by pressing them. A mechanic at the dealership said the car might think a door is open, but there is no indication on the dash that a door is ajar. Where should I start troubleshooting this problem?
It’s related to battery health. If the battery’s not at 100%, some systems are disabled including the start/stop feature. The most annoying feature that turns off is the touch entry for all doors except the driver’s one.

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
Do you like auto start stop? They make harnesses to disable it. I think it’s a PITA honestly. Disabled mine

rob4092xx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perfectly normal as battery ages. When the battery drops from 100% the auto start/stop shuts down. Doesn’t mean your battery is sick or failing. Just less than 100%. It will still last for many years under 100%.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The real issue is not the S/S but the light staying on. The S/S not working is just a symptom. If you scan for codes, do you or the dealership get any in any of the modules?

image98

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with my 2nd row overhead lighting staying on in my 2019 Expedition staying on. Annoying as I have yet to find a remedy.

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Fastcar ,here is a thread that should answer your questions: