Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took mine in today too. They said the rattle is the cam phasers and the knocking sound I have is the fuel pump (not a problem). They ordered the parts for the cam phasers, so we'll see if that fixes everything.

:confused:
:eek:

If you watch the video I started this thread with. If you remove the driver-side wheel well liner & do a cold start and observe the waste-gate actuator go through it's test cycle (40-53 seconds after engine starting) and hear the rattle its NOT the CAM phasers. My rattle went BYE BYE after a new turbo was installed. Sounds like your Ford service place is just going through the motions man.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having three same issue, but as I stated in another post, my dealer was apparently told by ford not to do any service for rattling or ticking until they do the phasers. So here I am, going back for who knows now's how long.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm having three same issue, but as I stated in another post, my dealer was apparently told by ford not to do any service for rattling or ticking until they do the phasers. So here I am, going back for who knows now's how long.

From my dealer this morning regarding the rattling...

“Yes sir that have found an issue with the vct and having to replace the timing chain and components that go with it and then will have to retest.”

Hopefully this is the fix!

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How prevalent are VCT and wastegates I wonder? Got 10,200 on my ‘19 Max Platinum and seems issues begin to crop up as early as where I’m at in miles...wondering if I’ll be taking it in for VCT and/or turbo in the not so distant future?

Why just the drivers side turbo??

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How prevalent are VCT and wastegates I wonder? Got 10,200 on my ‘19 Max Platinum and seems issues begin to crop up as early as where I’m at in miles...wondering if I’ll be taking it in for VCT and/or turbo in the not so distant future?

my passenger side has no rattle. Never did.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score

My turbo rattle started around 7k miles (both drivers and passengers).

I never really heard the VCT rattle but ford won't do the turbos till the phaser issue is done. DUMB.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My turbo rattle started around 7k miles (both drivers and passengers).

I never really heard the VCT rattle but ford won't do the turbos till the phaser issue is done. DUMB.

Yea and if your dealer is anything like mine it’s at least a week for the VCT fix...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea and if your dealer is anything like mine it’s at least a week for the VCT fix...

It was a full 4 days and they totally forgot to take care of a couple other items. Then it took me two hours to clean the oil off of the frame and everything else. I also feel like they don't measure the amount of antifreeze that drains out, so they just fill till the overflow reservoir is full, because it freakin spills out and burns the whole way home.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on my turbo rattle.

So today, took it back to the dealer, got to show the heavy line tech exactly what I was hearing, and so far the outcome is not so great. he did find an old TSB for 2017 F150's where there was actually a spring replacement for the wastegate actuator but found nothing for the newer models. He did however find a general service bulletin that states "rattling noises during light throttle are normal" and in a sense absolving Ford from having to fix this. He's submitted a tech line request for review but I'll likely have to fight Ford, on my less than 1yr old pretty expensive vehicle.

If it is normal, than why did it only start when I hit around 7K miles? Why wouldn't an expy sitting right next to it have the same noise? And who wants to pull up next to friends and family with a fairly new, pretty expensive vehicle with a rattle that sounds like a loose exhaust?

Sorry, just venting, I'm not super impressed right now...