Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I might be having a similar issue as the original poster. I just bought a CPO expedition and it’s made this noise on cold start from the day I received the car 7 days ago.

Can anyone give some advice here? Is this possibly the waste gate flapping or maybe they didn't screw in an oil pan or something? I'm not really one to work on my car other than changing a filter here and there so either way I'd probably have to bring it in, just hoping to know in advance what I'm getting myself in to so they don't claim it's nothing and cause further damage

28,000 miles on the car. I have the CPO warranty plus bumper to bumper 125k and lifetime powertrain so plenty of time to fix it!

TheNuke

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I might be having a similar issue as the original poster. I just bought a CPO expedition and it’s made this noise on cold start from the day I received the car 7 days ago.

Can anyone give some advice here? Is this possibly the waste gate flapping or maybe they didn't screw in an oil pan or something? I'm not really one to work on my car other than changing a filter here and there so either way I'd probably have to bring it in, just hoping to know in advance what I'm getting myself in to so they don't claim it's nothing and cause further damage

28,000 miles on the car. I have the CPO warranty plus bumper to bumper 125k and lifetime powertrain so plenty of time to fix it!

I feel like I could be standing next to my own truck listening to that video. I'm newer to the forum, so I'll let the expert speak, but that sounds like the wastegate/wastegate actuator rattle to me.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel like I could be standing next to my own truck listening to that video. I'm newer to the forum, so I'll let the expert speak, but that sounds like the wastegate/wastegate actuator rattle to me.

Mine sounds the same way. I also have a knock at idle like someone else earlier in this thread. I'm taking it in Monday to have it checked out.

TheNuke

Reaction score
Mine sounds the same way. I also have a knock at idle like someone else earlier in this thread. I'm taking it in Monday to have it checked out.

So here's my understanding - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

The rattle in the video is wastegate/wastegate actuator rattle. It happens for a sustained period of time (not just a few seconds after startup) and can be demonstrated at idle or by blipping the throttle a bit. Knocking, ticking, and the 2-5 second rattle upon startup (that stops/goes away quickly) from the top of the engine bay is the VCT/cam phaser issue.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So here's my understanding - and someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

The rattle in the video is wastegate/wastegate actuator rattle. It happens for a sustained period of time (not just a few seconds after startup) and can be demonstrated at idle or by blipping the throttle a bit. Knocking, ticking, and the 2-5 second rattle upon startup (that stops/goes away quickly) from the top of the engine bay is the VCT/cam phaser issue.

Can anyone else chime in regarding my video? I’m bringing the car in next week and don’t want them to tell me it’s nothing because a car should make those noises.

thanks!

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like a ford Pinto.
I was lucky enough to get a new turbo.
I hear some dealer will not replace if there is no code in the computer.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess if my local dealer tells me they won't fix it I'll just force the dealer I bought it from to fix it!

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Thats a bad waste gate!

"**Post Ford service appt: They are replacing my driver-side turbo. I was with the mechanic while he assessed the issue. Showed him the video. He said it is normal for it to make a clicking noise for 3 seconds at cold startup but not for 5 seconds or more & that he would replace it under warranty. He also listened to the passenger-side turbo which had no clicking/rattling noise.
I also asked him what common issues the 4th Gens have & he said cam phasers. That this issue normally presents its self at 12k-15k OD. Also turbos with waste-gate flapper valve issues."

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both turbos have been super quite since the one was replaced even during cold startup to date.