Cold start rattle in the turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both turbos have been super quite since the one was replaced even during cold startup to date.

Thank you for the info! I mentioned the waste gate when I scheduled the appt for Monday and the scheduler thought I was crazy for saying that with only 27k miles on my 2019 but apparently it’s not so crazy!

Pretty interesting that this car was a certified preowned and I get the car with this potential issue... not so cool.

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me & many others. Seems to be common with the 4th Gens. My was CPO with 31k Miles. On the 3D day of ownership I found it had this issue. Warranty is what stop me from returning it. These rides cost so damn much for this b.s. Now that mine is running like new I love driving it daily!

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me & many others. Seems to be common with the 4th Gens. My was CPO with 31k Miles. On the 3D day of ownership I found it had this issue. Warranty is what stop me from returning it. These rides cost so damn much for this b.s. Now that mine is running like new I love driving it daily!

Good to hear a similar story with a happy ending!

Its just a bummer though that I spent a lot of time finding a car that didn’t have mechanical issues and went CPO to get the Ford stamp of approval on the car only to most probably see my resale value fall since it’s perfect track record will now likely be tarnished on the Carfax assuming it needs a repair.

Anyone ever try to get some $$ back from the dealer in situations like this?

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my Ford dealership gave me a carfax after each of the 2 repairs were done. It just says warranty work on it. Also same thing on the Ford Pass app

OP
OP
DWs-TTEB

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice! What were the two repairs you needed?

That’s great. What were the two separate repairs you needed in that short timeframe?

Both on driver side, wheel hub and turbo replacement

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brought my expedition in today for the rattle. The service advisor was very familiar with this issue but claimed it’s not very common (yea right). He warned me it might be a little while until I get it back but hopefully that means they actually fix it!

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Brought my expedition in today for the rattle. The service advisor was very familiar with this issue but claimed it’s not very common (yea right). He warned me it might be a little while until I get it back but hopefully that means they actually fix it!

I took mine in today too. They said the rattle is the cam phasers and the knocking sound I have is the fuel pump (not a problem). They ordered the parts for the cam phasers, so we'll see if that fixes everything.