Dealer says “shifts are normal”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overtow

Reaction score

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have come to the point that when im dropping off my car at a dealer about a noise or performance issue ( with no check engine lights) and im asked by the service advisor randomly if I have warranty as im giving him my keys I will make sure i say NO. When they think u have no ESP warranty they have no problem actually looking into and or diagnosing and telling the $1,768,887 cost to fix and what you need or should be replaced. But if they already know u have an ESP warranty they will denie fixing things or really look into without check engine light cause they dont want to deal with Ford and do the work on a discount. I can literally bring my vehicle to ford with a rattling and they will say "oh thats normal" after knowing u have warranty or ESP. But of coarse they prolly find out u have an ESP anyways by running your VIN so atleast I tried ...

When the transmission failed in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, the technician spoke to me directly and told me that the dealership would have to install a new transmission (not sure if he meant new or Ford remanufactured). I gave him the okay. Ironically, the transmission failed during his test drive and went into limp mode, after I brought I took it in for a transmission issue.

Later, when the service advisor realized I had a Ford Premium ESP (purchased from his dealership) - because I was an established customer and "in their system), I was told Ford required the transmission be torn-down and rebuilt. That took MONTHS, as transmission parts were on national back-order from Ford.

If I had no warranty or ESP, the dealership (Ford's authorized representative) was ready to charge me for a new transmission. When the learned I had an ESP - it had to be rebuilt, with months of delay. No amount of arguing would change Ford's position.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the transmission failed in my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, the technician spoke to me directly and told me that the dealership would have to install a new transmission (not sure if he meant new or Ford remanufactured). I gave him the okay. Ironically, the transmission failed during his test drive and went into limp mode, after I brought I took it in for a transmission issue.

Later, when the service advisor realized I had a Ford Premium ESP (purchased from his dealership) - because I was an established customer and "in their system), I was told Ford required the transmission be torn-down and rebuilt. That took MONTHS, as transmission parts were on national back-order from Ford.

If I had no warranty or ESP, the dealership (Ford's authorized representative) was ready to charge me for a new transmission. When the learned I had an ESP - it had to be rebuilt, with months of delay. No amount of arguing would change Ford's position.
Exactly ! They (Ford) will do everything in their power to save money and make the customer wait if they are paying the bill. But if the $$$ is all on the customer they are Quick to say " aw man, you need a new tranny and this one cant be salvaged" and the. charge you billions of dollars for it without hesitation. Haha

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exactly ! They (Ford) will do everything in their power to save money and make the customer wait if they are paying the bill. But if the $$$ is all on the customer they are Quick to say " aw man, you need a new tranny and this one cant be salvaged" and the. charge you billions of dollars for it without hesitation. Haha
Yup, they only pay for the $20 failed part, then pay the dealer for 50% of the time needed for the overhaul forcing the technician to essentially work for free. This puts pressure on the technicians and they rush to get the work completed!

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Conversely, I have a 3rd party extended warranty that I bought through my credit union for dirt cheap. When I had roller-follower issues a while ago, the Ford dealership went out of their way to find every little bolt they could fix and replace "while they were in there." I think the bill was almost $6k by the end. The repair was done very well and I haven't had any issues since.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2023 has about 1500 miles on it now and it shifts great.

I think the idea of not telling them you have a warranty could backfire. Let’s say the dealer does the work then you tell them. Then the warranty company says they will only cover 80% of the bill and that it was not pre approved. Then what? The fine print when you drop the vehicle off and you sign the agreement to have the work done says you are responsible.

Maybe it’s a longshot that happens, and maybe not. But you have given up all your leverage if you told the dealer you don’t have an extended warranty but when you pick it up your lie is exposed.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2021 Explorer and 2019 Expedition were shifting rough. I took them both to the dealer and had them update to the latest firmware shift program. Now they both shift smooth. Now the 2021 Explorer starts with the emergency brake on and we have to disengage it every time we want to move it out of park. the Expedition started with the brake on, but once I shut it off, it now lets me either have it automatically come on or never come on.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2023 has about 1500 miles on it now and it shifts great.

I think the idea of not telling them you have a warranty could backfire. Let’s say the dealer does the work then you tell them. Then the warranty company says they will only cover 80% of the bill and that it was not pre approved. Then what? The fine print when you drop the vehicle off and you sign the agreement to have the work done says you are responsible.

Maybe it’s a longshot that happens, and maybe not. But you have given up all your leverage if you told the dealer you don’t have an extended warranty but when you pick it up your lie is exposed.
If it is the ford dealer, they know about warranties as soon as they enter the VIN into their system.