For Those Who Don't Think a Catch Can is Needed on Gen 4 s...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got an email that the JLT won’t ship til mid October... Any other can to check out?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got an email that the JLT won’t ship til mid October... Any other can to check out?

I think the correct JLT part number is 3016P. It wasn’t intuitive to find on their website at the time. It has the bracket that mounts the can near the battery. Mine listed a September 18th ship date.

jparadee

Reaction score
I purchase a UPR Dual Valve catch can from my '17 Expy. My son also purchased the same one for his 2014 F150. Easy install. I get lots of liquid out of my every other week when i drive it lots. I usually drain it when I get gas.

Only mod I made was a valve on the bottom and a plastic hose to get the drain out of the engine bay.

Thejkwest

Reaction score
I wish I took a picture or video but I emptied the catch can and it had about a full shot glasses worth of oil in it. So I fully believe that having a catch can is a need.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish I took a picture or video but I emptied the catch can and it had about a full shot glasses worth of oil in it. So I fully believe that having a catch can is a need.

Most of it is moisture and fuel.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I own a 2007 Expedition Limited and I put the JLT catch can on it. Haven't emptied it yet because I just put it on. I am fixing to do a oil change soon. So I'll post a pic after.

The JKWest, which brand / model # did you use for your 2007 Expy? I have a 2008 Expy with 91k miles and I would love to put one on her too.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I own a 2007 Expedition Limited and I put the JLT catch can on it. Haven't emptied it yet because I just put it on. I am fixing to do a oil change soon. So I'll post a pic after. I am in the process of start a youtube channel which will start with me working on the Expedition. It was mistreated and I want to bring it back to it's former glory.

What brand / model # are you using on your 07 Expy? I want to add one to my 08 Expy.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After much study, I decided to go with the JLT for my 2018. She only has 7500 miles, so hopefully I caught it early enough. She will be in our family until she crumbles into dust, so my rationale is that at worst I will keep my intake cleaner for no reason. At best I could save a couple of head replacements or cleanings and have a better running engine long term. Total was under $200 with the can extension. When installed I couldn’t get the engine cover to sit right with the hose routed from the PCV toward the passenger side. There just isn’t room for that hose. Then I noticed on the bottom of the engine cover there was an “imprint“ of the PCV connector and hose going toward the front of the engine. This is how the original hose is routed, toward the intake. So I tried routing the JLT hose forward, and I found the clearance I needed to properly seat the engine cover. I made a small half moon cut on the front of the engine cover to accommodate the hose. The rest of the install was very easy. I then did a 250 mile trip towing a 2000 pound covered trailer. With a drumroll and an audience I pulled the catch can and... not a drop! I verified the hoses were routed the correct way, then felt the screen of the oil separator and I did get a haze of oil on my finger. I won’t check it again for at least 1k !!
Big thanks to all the recommendations and input on this topic. And a shout out to JLT. I was very impressed with the manufacturing quality of this item, and their outstanding communication.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After much study, I decided to go with the JLT for my 2018. She only has 7500 miles, so hopefully I caught it early enough. She will be in our family until she crumbles into dust, so my rationale is that at worst I will keep my intake cleaner for no reason. At best I could save a couple of head replacements or cleanings and have a better running engine long term. Total was under $200 with the can extension. When installed I couldn’t get the engine cover to sit right with the hose routed from the PCV toward the passenger side. There just isn’t room for that hose. Then I noticed on the bottom of the engine cover there was an “imprint“ of the PCV connector and hose going toward the front of the engine. This is how the original hose is routed, toward the intake. So I tried routing the JLT hose forward, and I found the clearance I needed to properly seat the engine cover. I made a small half moon cut on the front of the engine cover to accommodate the hose. The rest of the install was very easy. I then did a 250 mile trip towing a 2000 pound covered trailer. With a drumroll and an audience I pulled the catch can and... not a drop! I verified the hoses were routed the correct way, then felt the screen of the oil separator and I did get a haze of oil on my finger. I won’t check it again for at least 1k !!
Big thanks to all the recommendations and input on this topic. And a shout out to JLT. I was very impressed with the manufacturing quality of this item, and their outstanding communication.
I think I did the same modification. Do the pictures look similar?AC9ECD50-89D2-4F72-9ADA-D5096FE86CBD.jpeg99F0F6BD-FE0D-4773-8043-2CD06727FB1C.jpeg

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not very familiar with turbocharged engines. One thing I noticed was the passenger side PCV system dumps directly into the intake manifold. The intake manifold is pressurized when boosting. I think this means that the passenger side is only effective when the turbos are not boosting.

It looked like there may be another PCV system on the drivers side. It connects on the intake side of the turbo, thus it would always have some vacuum. I also noticed an electrical connector on the hose. Does this open up a valve when there is boost being developed to allow crankcase pressure to be vented?

The one on the passenger side should be able to develop more vacuum when not boosting due to it being after the throttle plate.

Does this sound correct? If so then it seems like somebody who is mostly cruising (not boosting) will collect the most from the passenger side. Those towing (constantly boosting) may collect more from a catch can on the drivers side. 184F500D-C1E0-455F-941E-A305155122FC.jpeg Drivers side PCV?