Ford, Are you Listening? 2018+ Change/Wish List

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DExpy17

Reaction score
Did you experience something bad during towing that makes you say this or is this just a general statement?

I had a 04 suburban EL and the handling while towing the same camper and WDH ( professionally installed on both) was much better. I get lot of wiggle in the Expedition. I never felt Unsafe in the Suburban. I have spent much more time white knuckled in the Expedition.Granted increasing tire pressure has helped, can now go 65MPH before only 55MPH. Most of the time with the Expedition, I know its back there, having to be ever aware of what is coming up on me and passing me. No one ever complained about the third row on several long trips in the sub, adults or teens. However, I do really love the power of the Expedition, It walks right up the small mountains around here. I am constantly passing other campers going up them. Great torque at low RPM. The Suburban would Whine (4500-4800RPM) and get much hotter going over the same mountains. So for me, Its a love hate relationship. I am coming to grips, with fact that on longer trips, I need to plan for the drive to take 10-15 minutes more per hour of driving. But that has reduced the distance I am willing to drive on a weekend trip. What use to take 2 1/2 hours now takes over 3 and our 6 1/2 hour trip to the beach will now take 8 1/2- 9 hours( now extra stops with baby so even maybe longer.) Having owned both, the Expedition may capable of towing more weight, but cant handle length.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
. . . Having owned both, the Expedition may capable of towing more weight, but cant handle length.

What length of trailer do you tow? We tow a 25' Airstream that weighs almost 7000 pounds travel weight and have experienced absolutely no sway or handling problems in several thousand miles of towing so far. This is with a Plat Max and using a Reese dual cam hitch system. Our experience has been so rock-solid, I have found myself wanting to tow too fast rather than the other way around. Not disputing what your experience has been at all, but curious as to why your situation is so much different than mine. Is it possible there is some other suspension problem at play with yours?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your expy a 17 or 18? The 18s have a firmer suspension so it squats but doesnt sway as much. On all the towing boards for 4th gen, noone rele complained or sway or uncrontrollability.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is your expy a 17 or 18? The 18s have a firmer suspension so it squats but doesnt sway as much. On all the towing boards for 4th gen, noone rele complained or sway or uncrontrollability.

Plat Max--2018. Didn't notice that DExpy17 has a '17. Mine doesn't exhibit a squat either, after dialing in the WDH at the CAT scales. I came from a 2008 EL LTD that was also very solid.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

normally reversed, firm suspension less squat, spongy more squat. Expeditions use coil over strut rears so naturally they squat a lot more than leaf springs. Both the 3rd & 4th gens squat a lot if you don’t have your weight distributed properly.

Sway doesn’t depend too much on suspension but also on hitch setup and driving conditions. He likely doesn’t have his trailer and hitch dialed in 100% yet.

Last edited:

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@DExpy17 apologies in advance, (I've not read entire thread), is your comparison between tow vehicles, based upon the exact same vehicle being towed?

I say exact same as a qualifier because, the same trailer (statistically speaking) can have "non square" mounted axles or different (shit quality) tires. On the surface, per specifications, there is zero differences, but in reality there are several.

DExpy17

Reaction score
What length of trailer do you tow?

Camper Is 33'6" @7400 lbs. 810lbs on tounge (actual). I am also using the Reese Dual cam system Installed by the same dealer that installed on and set up on the Suburban. Before everyone starts the its to long for wheel base, the Chevy handled it fine.

Is your expy a 17 or 18?

'17

@DExpy17 apologies in advance, (I've not read entire thread), is your comparison between tow vehicles, based upon the exact same vehicle being towed?

Its is the same camper being pulled by both. Not same model/ different year, same camper that was sitting in my yard that was being pulled by the Sub. I have lots of experience towing, I have towed cars on trailers, Backhoes, bobcats and campers. I now over all length plays into the loading as well as weight distribution and tongue weight. I've used F150, F250, Dodge 3500 w/cummins, Seirra 1500, Suburban EL 1500, and the expedition. In my opinion, the IRS has been a pain in the *ss in comparison to others.

doktoroktobor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So many good suggestions from everyone. I'm thrilled with this car so far, but I'm always thinking about how things can be better. So here's my wish list, mainly focusing on small tweaks that could make it better, nothing too crazy (like, I'm not asking for full autonomous Tesla driving, or soft-close doors like some luxury cars...), and I'm definitely repeating some comments others have made.

1 Puddle lights under running boards
2 Lights on running boards
3 Auto tilt-down mirrors on reverse
4 As a work-around to auto tilt-down mirrors, ability to select memory seat without putting car in Park
5 Ability to close sun-roof with remote (windows close if you long-press Lock button, but not sun-roof)
6 Wireless Android Auto
7 Park wiper at bottom on power off - sometimes it stops mid wipe
8 Fold-down arm-rest/cup holders in 2nd row bench
9 Approach lighting - my Kia Sorento had this. The puddle and handle lights illuminated when you approached the car with key fob in hand.
10 Ford Pass App - adjust more things remotely, like climate control
11 Ford Pass App - alert me if my alarm goes off
12 Ford Pass App - streaming video of cameras to app
13 Sentry mode, like Teslas, where the car records video through the cameras when it's messed with
14 Rear window shades
15 Blind spot indicator BEEP sounds
16 Activate cameras while moving
17 Allow text entry while moving
18 Advanced Cargo Management should have a floor when shelf is raised
19 Allow more digital gauges on instrument cluster, like Boost AND Speed, there's plenty of room
20 Ability to lock-out rear HVAC and audio controls, like by long-pressing the rear window lock-out button
21 Ability to control suspension and dampening independently of drive mode, e.g. normal drive mode with softer suspension
22 Ability to raise/lower vehicle (maybe only at very low speeds) to creep under low headroom areas.
23 Link interior lighting to ambient lighting color.
24 Rear license plate lights should be LED
25 Replace huge 12v outlet on dash with more useful option, like swappable phone holder mount, dual Quck-Charge USB, etc...
26 Better rear seat entertaiment options
27 Rear seat entertainment pre-wiring (lots of cars are offering this now, bring-your-own-device, but there's power and A/V prewired)
28 Aftermarket or factory integrated vacuum option like on Chrysler Pacifica, Honda Odyssey
29 Integrated compressor hookup for (manually) filling tires. There's compressors for the lumbar support/massage features (maybe also for the "airbag" shocks?), how about a hook-up on each side of the car so you can fill your tires? Compressors are small...
30 Auto brake hold
31 Auto engage parking brake on Park
32 Heads Up Display
33 Keep drive-mode on start.
34 DVR to turn integrated cameras into 360 dash-cam
35 Illuminated scuff plates. Not sure why, but I love those. I know they're tacky.
36 Switch the left and right steering mounted controls. Volume/media should be on the LEFT!!!
37 Long press the talk/voice-command button in Android Auto or Apple Car Play to access the Sync voice commands (I think Chrysler UConnect does this)
38 Shift lever! I can't get used to the knob!!!
39 Info banner on Android Auto and Apple Car Play
40 When you raise/lower the temperature, the on-screen wheel that appears should change from red to blue to more visually indicate temp
41 Physical controls on dash for rear HVAC zone
42 When you're running low on gas, it should prompt you to let nav find the nearest gas stations (my Kia Sorento did that, never used it, but it was clever)
43 Better "stitching" of camera images in the surround view
44 Bigger display/screen, more Navigator-like

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All excellent suggestions...even if some are preference items. A few quick points:

1, 2, 9, 32, 44 - Navi features....have to differentiate somehow to make @Artie feel good about spending more than the rest of us.
11. Mine already does this, you might check your notification settings to see why yours doesn't.
19. You can already put the boost gauge in the top right in lieu of the Trans temp.
22. Wouldn't this require air suspension?
31. It does auto engage when you're on a hill or not already at a complete stop. Not all the time, granted.
37. I agree! When not using CarPlay you can long-press to activate Siri over bluetooth, why can't you long-press to activate Sync when you are using CarPlay!
42. CarPlay does this.

Again, excellent list!