Ford quietly redesigned the thermostat in 2022...replace it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question for those that have swapped it out, how much coolant do I need to get? I guess you just have to drain the radiator? I got the new thermostat and gasket on the way, I’ll just need to stop by the dealership to pick up some coolant.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First towing trip with the new thermostat. About 100 miles round-trip. Going out, 58° outside, Transmission temp 201°. Coming back outside temp 90° transmission temp 216°. Mild rolling Hills. 7500 pound 28 foot trailer. 65 MPH.

Last edited:

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got the thermostat swapped out this morning. Took a little longer than I expected, got hung up on the bolt on the drivers side. Would have been easier if I would have taken all the intake piping out of the way and the hoses off the thermostat housing, but I didn’t feel like taking all that apart. I did end up taking the top hose off the housing. Then I had an issue with the vacuum coolant filler I have. It wouldn’t seal off the little vent chamber on the coolant bottle. But once I figured that out I got it filled back up with no problems. Used a little more than a gallon and a half of coolant.

So before with the cruise control set at 60mph I was reading 228 degrees and now it’s at 199 and only gets to about 205 when letting off. At idle it’s at 195. A damn near 30 degree drop should make the whole truck much more efficient I would think. It’s nice not to hear the fans screaming all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_3065.jpeg
    IMG_3065.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3067.jpeg
    IMG_3067.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 24

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These 2 statements are just plain wrong.

a - The Spark Plugs - The Motorcraft Sparkplugs currently being offered by ford are complete and total junk. PERIOD. NGK is the goto recommended by anybody that actually works on these EcoBoost Motors.

c - The Air Filter - Yes the stock paper filter, filters fine, but airflow through it is terrible. It also gets plugged VERY easily, and it VERY susceptible to moisture. Ford has redesigned the airbox in recent years to help with the water saturation issue, but still can be a problem. I don't recommend the oiled filters, because people over oil them when they clean them, and that causes issues. AFE, AEM, and I am sure other make dry cleanable cotton based filters that filter as good as stock, but allow more flow due to greater surface area, are less likely to get clogged again due to greater surface area. Then if we want to talk to the best filter out there, that would be Donaldson's powerCore. Amazing flow and filter.
What is the Donaldson part number for our trucks? Their site doesn’t list the 3.5, only a couple v8s.

CamMO

Reaction score
swapped my tstat out to the updated one on my 2019, temps are staying around 195-200 like it should now. if you're trying to do this job cleanly its a pain to use the rad drain, it is very slow and leaks out of the valve. takes a long time to drain 1-2 gallons so the level is below the thermostat. made a mess but glad to have it done.

I noticed that the degas bottle cap is a 21 psi. has anyone had issues with switching this to a 16 psi cap? i know on the 4th gen explorers, a common problem of leaky radiators can be prevented by going from 21 to 16 psi system. haven't heard of any radiator issues on expeditions but am considering it....

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is the Donaldson part number for our trucks? Their site doesn’t list the 3.5, only a couple v8s.
Sadly, you have to go to an aftermarket housing to use one on the Ford 3.5TT. It is a cylindrical shaped filter, and HUGE!

There is the complete setup with the PowerCore included for the 4th Gen Expedition. I am using a similar setup on my 2021 F150, and just the AFE Dry drop in on the Expedition.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got the thermostat swapped out this morning. Took a little longer than I expected, got hung up on the bolt on the drivers side. Would have been easier if I would have taken all the intake piping out of the way and the hoses off the thermostat housing, but I didn’t feel like taking all that apart. I did end up taking the top hose off the housing. Then I had an issue with the vacuum coolant filler I have. It wouldn’t seal off the little vent chamber on the coolant bottle. But once I figured that out I got it filled back up with no problems. Used a little more than a gallon and a half of coolant.

So before with the cruise control set at 60mph I was reading 228 degrees and now it’s at 199 and only gets to about 205 when letting off. At idle it’s at 195. A damn near 30 degree drop should make the whole truck much more efficient I would think. It’s nice not to hear the fans screaming all the time.
Nice, great data!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
swapped my tstat out to the updated one on my 2019, temps are staying around 195-200 like it should now. if you're trying to do this job cleanly its a pain to use the rad drain, it is very slow and leaks out of the valve. takes a long time to drain 1-2 gallons so the level is below the thermostat. made a mess but glad to have it done.

I noticed that the degas bottle cap is a 21 psi. has anyone had issues with switching this to a 16 psi cap? i know on the 4th gen explorers, a common problem of leaky radiators can be prevented by going from 21 to 16 psi system. haven't heard of any radiator issues on expeditions but am considering it....
I would not recommend it. It is not an issue on these.