Gravel/Mud on inside corner of rear doors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not just the doors, but wait until you wash your truck. There are POUNDS of dirt and pebbles lodged on the inside of your rear bumper. Very poor design choice. The lack of mud flaps, and the fact that the inside of rear bumper is fully open causes all of the dirt thrown off by the rear wheels to nicely deposit itself in there. Last time I washed my truck, the mud wouldn't stop dripping from there. And the annoying part is, the mud drips out on the outside of the bumper, where you can see it.

Yep. When I’m power washing mine I feel like mud comes out of the bumper seam for about 10 minutes!

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mud flaps up north rust out fenders because they trap moisture between he flap and the metal. I'm curious how Aluminum can handle that....

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, aluminum is non corrosive. So that answers that :)
Not technically true, but for all intents and purposes and I think the properties of aluminum allow the use of mudflaps. Anyone who has bubbling of paint on their aluminum tailgate/hood knows it can corrode...

https://www.totalmateria.com/page.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&LN=EN&site=ktn&NM=187

"Corrosion is the chemical reaction of a metal, in this case aluminum, with its environment, which leads to the deterioration of the properties of metals, aluminum in this case. Aluminum is a very reactive metal, but it is also a passive metal. This contradictory nature is explainable because nascent aluminum reacts with oxygen or water and forms a coherent surface oxide which impedes further reaction of aluminum with the environment."

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, aluminum is non corrosive. So that answers that :)

A local body shop was re-skinning Ford doors a couple years ago already because the aluminum oxidized so bad that the seams swelled up and needed to be repaired/replaced. That was on only 2-3 year old vehicles at the time....