Has anyone had FSA 21N08 reflash done yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure its not just relearning your driving style? 21N08 re flashes to factory as built.
No, its actually getting worse. Either the dealership didn't do the reflash (which is on my invoice) OR they just reflashed it incorrectly somehow... I don't understand how either of those things happens.

I have waited roughly 3 weeks now just for it to finish its relearn process, and it's absolutely doing it more frequently than ever this weekend. Calling them today.

I'm getting close to giving up on this damn thing. :(

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I felt the shudder . Was heavy loaded, in 6th gear, around 25 mph on a slight incline.

I am actually pretty annoyed. I have many other problems with this truck (front shocks, wheel bearings, front diff) that I am seriously thinking to get rid of it.
So ride quality and handling like Crownvic isn’t trucky enough. I got the HD version so I at least have the truck stuff. But long trips its nice not having the old truck ride and handling qualities

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, its actually getting worse. Either the dealership didn't do the reflash (which is on my invoice) OR they just reflashed it incorrectly somehow... I don't understand how either of those things happens.

I have waited roughly 3 weeks now just for it to finish its relearn process, and it's absolutely doing it more frequently than ever this weekend. Calling them today.

I'm getting close to giving up on this damn thing. :(
Maybe your next step is 21N03, cam phaser replacement. If you look at the video I posted in other treads the guy actually takes an expedition and shows how it is done. They use a laptop that shows the power balance while driving so they can see and log the shudder ( misfire ) as well as feel it. I just had the 21B10 done, I have noticed a longer crank on cold starts only and the transmission is shifting funny with no shudder. Not sure how long the reprogram is on the trans. I know it took a long time when I bought it, its not my daily driver and I don't put a lot of miles on it. I hope your dealer can figure it out.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe your next step is 21N03, cam phaser replacement. If you look at the video I posted in other treads the guy actually takes an expedition and shows how it is done. They use a laptop that shows the power balance while driving so they can see and log the shudder ( misfire ) as well as feel it. I just had the 21B10 done, I have noticed a longer crank on cold starts only and the transmission is shifting funny with no shudder. Not sure how long the reprogram is on the trans. I know it took a long time when I bought it, its not my daily driver and I don't put a lot of miles on it. I hope your dealer can figure it out.
I had my camphasers done 6000 miles ago do you think it's possible I need them again?

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got my letter. Explained it to my wife. She just shook her head in disbelief and said, "I guess you'll be getting rid of it". As I told her....we'll see.

Read the other thread about this letter titled "PCM software recall". The whole thing is disappointing.

mhExped

Reaction score
I interpret the whole prorated repair coverage thing as an admission Ford knows this issue will never go away. If Ford had a fix they truly had faith in, they could easily risk warrantying the repair work unconditionally (and earn a great deal of customer respect /loyalty in the process, I'd imagine).

But, to provide a "fix" they're not willing to stand behind with conviction is to say, "Yeah, we know you'll have ongoing issues with this and we're bailing on you! Tough luck sucka!!!"

That said, I don't really know if cam phasers have a typical anticipated lifespan in line with the prorated repair warranty??? I don't really even understand what all a cam phaser "repair" consists of.

I do know, however, I've had the cam phasers on my '18 Limited replaced once already and it's currently in the shop with talk of replacing them a 2nd time (less than 25k miles on it since leaving the dealer's lot).

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not to mention, that on the letter states the the cam phaser noise is just undesirable and doesn't affect the safety, performance, or emissions, but essentially to me that's their copout for not having to do an actual recall. However, that said, I've had the dealer and many folks on this forum state that not getting the phasers replaced when they start rattling will cause more damage over time. To me that's a bold faced lie.

So I too have received the notice and now need to waste my time at the dealer again, getting it reflashed, and potentially causing more issues. Sounds like fun.

I also very much like the part about, if you've already had your cam phasers repaired, please do all of this again to ensure "the correct parts were used". Hey, maybe since so few vehicles are be made right now, there are more than enough phaser parts laying around to get these done quickly, I waited something like 2.5 months for parts over a year ago.

Last edited:

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Dice Roll, @mhExped, @5280tunage........exactly my point! Nothing wrong with mine as far as I know, but now I have to schedule this and waste half a day at the dealer. IF I have a shutter, schedule another half day. If I get cam phaser issues, it better be before Jan 2023 or Ford won't cover it. If I do nothing, seems they won't cover it EVER.

But, according to the letter, it's just undesirable noise. No damage will result. Hmm, then why not cover it to 100K miles like others have said. And only cover it once? So, those who have had it done multiple times, what does that say about your "fix"? Nothing like washing your hands of it.

I'll get it the flash done, whether once or twice, but I'm done with this truck, and probably Ford. I had hoped to keep it for another two or three years, but I strongly doubt it at this point.

OP
OP
bill_b

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Dice Roll, @mhExped, @5280tunage........exactly my point! Nothing wrong with mine as far as I know, but now I have to schedule this and waste half a day at the dealer. IF I have a shutter, schedule another half day. If I get cam phaser issues, it better be before Jan 2023 or Ford won't cover it. If I do nothing, seems they won't cover it EVER.

But, according to the letter, it's just undesirable noise. No damage will result. Hmm, then why not cover it to 100K miles like others have said. And only cover it once? So, those who have had it done multiple times, what does that say about your "fix"? Nothing like washing your hands of it.

I'll get it the flash done, whether once or twice, but I'm done with this truck, and probably Ford. I had hoped to keep it for another two or three years, but I strongly doubt it at this point.
100% the same boat I am in right now. It sucks because because I love so much about it... the power, handling, and fuel economy for its size are so nice in a full size suv