How often do you swap out your brake rotors when doing pads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ideally, my pass will have some sort of built-in chirpers which not all do... And once they start chirping I will know I don't have much time left to replace them until a a pad backing plate hits the rotor. But if one does hit the rotor slightly and you take it straight home it's not too big of a deal.
I don't like using the vacuum pumps at all.
I would be okay with the speed bleeder idea but I haven't actually use them either.
I always have someone pump the brakes.
I rarely even bleed them when I replace pads but I will sometimes open the bleeder screw and pump the fluid that's in the caliper out when I press in the piston.
I just had a set on a very large Town Car but I could feel we're getting thin when I push the pedal. There was a slight little bit of pulsation because the rotors were quite old and had some miles on them but more than anything I could just feel a roughness from the thin pads. When I took them off, sure enough, they were down to awfully thin to where in few more days they would have probably been cracking and sliding off the backing plates.
Flushing the brake fluid is not something you need to do often (algae can actually grow in it) and I just flushed mine after 180k miles, also the little brake bleeder tool is very easy to use and is a one person job. With limos you probably need to be on top of the brake issues more than I am, I can see that.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Search caliper rebuild kit. I rebuilt the calipers on my BMW, had them bead blasted. I painted them and lubed everything and purchased new guide pins along w kit. They were like brand new for just a few bucks.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flushing the brake fluid is not something you need to do often (algae can actually grow in it) and I just flushed mine after 180k miles, also the little brake bleeder tool is very easy to use and is a one person job. With limos you probably need to be on top of the brake issues more than I am, I can see that.

Agreed. It would probably be a good idea to flush the brake fluid at least once in the life of a vehicle but people talk about doing it every three years or so, that's just Overkill.
Also, you will hear people talk about brake lines rusting from the inside out. I do not believe this. I have replaced more brake lines on vehicles than most human beings in the world.
Every rusted-out one I have ever taken off when you start to cut into it with a tubing cutter and get to the middle you find nice shiny bright white metal. They always rust from the outside in Rust Belt states.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed. It would probably be a good idea to flush the brake fluid at least once in the life of a vehicle but people talk about doing it every three years or so, that's just Overkill.
Also, you will hear people talk about brake lines rusting from the inside out. I do not believe this. I have replaced more brake lines on vehicles than most human beings in the world.
Every rusted-out one I have ever taken off when you start to cut into it with a tubing cutter and get to the middle you find nice shiny bright white metal. They always rust from the outside in Rust Belt states.
Luckily we don't have that problem here. Strangely they can grow algae inside and turn the fluid green if there is condensation in there.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Luckily we don't have that problem here. Strangely they can grow algae inside and turn the fluid green if there is condensation in there.
I'm on a mobile phone so I don't see where you're located over by your avatar. What area do you live in? You are correct that things can grow in there but normally it just slimes up and turns into something that looks like frog shit in the bottom.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm on a mobile phone so I don't see where you're located over by your avatar. What area do you live in? You are correct that things can grow in there but normally it just slimes up and turns into something that looks like frog shit in the bottom.
MT SHASTA CALIFORNIA

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I drop all fluids every 3 years which is around 30,000 mi for me.

All drive fluids including tranny, coolant, brake, ps, if it’s liquid it’s dropped.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about turning rotors vs. replacing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk