How to tell if a cam phaser has had the lock up mod done to it.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07navi

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The whole " lockout " option has me confused. Im at 130,000 on my 2007 . Change oil regularly etc. "If" my phasers go *****, would she go another 300,000 instead of another 130,000+ .?

If my phasers went tommorow, id probably replace all timing stuff. If that buys me another 130,000, I would be happy.

Im just not sure what financial gain is made with lockouts, because, there is a performance loss guaranteed.
5 star doesnt carry a lockout kit, but, they are focused on improving performance not degrading it.
I agree with that and I would never do a quick fix on something as innovative and special as the Variable Cam Timer (VTC). I went into my Excursion V-10 at 200,000 miles to change the chain tensioners only to discover the chain and guides were like new so the new guides are just sitting in the garage. No guarantee on what anything will buy you but don't do a quick cheap fix on the VCTs. It reminds me of the guys that put manual hubs on their F-250 Superdutys etc so they don't have to fix the auto control from inside the cab. I fixed mine and glad I did.