I really like Expedition, but the terrible suspension is getting to me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's been 3 months and 10k miles, it wobbles and it crashes on uneven roads and it just vibrates throughout the cabin, it's getting annoying to me. Also it's so floaty...

ETA: damn can't edit the title and i have 22" and CCD

Last edited:

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I 100% agree on the float and side to side swaying. You will most likely need to buy a rear sway bar for it to stop this side to side movement. I've been complaining about this for months and guys think I'm crazy. Its annoying as hell on rough roads. Sure on the highway it fine, but even a beater car does fine on the highway.

I ordered a Hellwig rear sway bar. It is being built and will be delivered to be In the next few weeks. I'm confident this will cure the LEAN and SWAY this thing has. I mean its like theres a 100 Mph wind blowing it side to side on a calm day.
Aggressive lane changes on the highway are borderline scary in it.

I Clearly understand its a big tall vehicle, but this is absolutely unacceptable for a premium trim level.

The roughness you experience is from your large diameter wheels. Going to smaller wheels will help, but then it looks like a base model.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I 100% agree on the float and side to side swaying. You will most likely need to buy a rear sway bar for it to stop this side to side movement. I've been complaining about this for months and guys think I'm crazy. Its annoying as hell on rough roads. Sure on the highway it fine, but even a beater car does fine on the highway.

I ordered a Hellwig rear sway bar. It is being built and will be delivered to be In the next few weeks. I'm confident this will cure the LEAN and SWAY this thing has. I mean its like theres a 100 Mph wind blowing it side to side on a calm day.
Aggressive lane changes on the highway are borderline scary in it.

I Clearly understand its a big tall vehicle, but this is absolutely unacceptable for a premium trim level.

The roughness you experience is from your large diameter wheels. Going to smaller wheels will help, but then it looks like a base model.
Keep us updated on your sway bar and post a review

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do have the CCD suspension or the standard steel springs and shocks.

The Limited Stealth has the CCD suspension with 22 inch wheels.

I'm looking at a set of 20 inch wheels and 33 inch tires. It would add an additional 1.5 inches to the sidewall. Should add some comfiness to the rough ride with the 285/45 tires.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I feel the same way. I have the regular suspension and 20" wheels and while the front seat ride is tolerable, the ride in the rear seat is absolutely awful.

I like the looks of the 20s, but I want to go down to 17s with giant sidewalls so that I am actually comfortable. I was going to buy some takeoffs from an F150, but apparently the 17" F150 wheels don't fit properly.

If anyone can recommend a 17" wheel with no trimming/modding required, please let me know!!

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do have the CCD suspension or the standard steel springs and shocks.
CCD, doesn’t really make a big difference. The engineers didn’t tune the ride really well and when i loaded the 3 rd with 3 people it was so bumpy lol

Last edited:

Shaffer9

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I feel the same way. I have the regular suspension and 20" wheels and while the front seat ride is tolerable, the ride in the rear seat is absolutely awful.

I like the looks of the 20s, but I want to go down to 17s with giant sidewalls so that I am actually comfortable. I was going to buy some takeoffs from an F150, but apparently the 17" F150 wheels don't fit properly.

If anyone can recommend a 17" wheel with no trimming/modding required, please let me know!!

The 17" Raptor wheels will fit, the only "modding" is slight modifications to the center caps. You can't run the stock Raptor tires without trimming. You can find the non-beadlock version for pretty cheap if you look.

Or Methods.

FeO2

Reaction score
I've been looking at 22's for my 10 expy, I better think twice...
Have oem 20's and when I put on 18" blizzaks it was noticeably softer ride

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score

You may want to check your shocks to make sure they arent leaking or have blown a seal. I went in for a blown front shock, and the dealership found both back shocks were leaking too. After they replaced all 3 the vehicle rides so much better now. Note that this all happened at about the 10,000 mile mark, 2018 xlt max with the 20 inch tires