Lug nut insanity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Id rather be dead than feel like I do right now. Terrible. My dads buddy is sick as well apparently. Definitely will be making a call to the place.
Back when we lived in Florida there was a web site from the state of Florida called, WHAT THE HEALTH-FL ,it is a smart phone app, down load it from your app store on your smart phone if you live in Florida, it list's every single restaurant's health dept score in a circle around the nearest cell tower that you phone is on at that time WITH THEIR VIOLATIONS from scoring a 0 % up to 100% ,THIS SHOULD BE REQUIRED NATIONWIDE IN EVERY STATE, a LOT of the violations were just common sense things like not storing uncooked meat over ready to eat items in the cooler,a lot of people might think they have the flu when in fact they have food poisoning, at the least it helps you know where to spend you food dollars, at the worst you might start eating more at home, hope you feel better quick, better keep an eye on your, dad, old folks like us, age 71 for me, don't do well with food poisoning.

poppie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back when we lived in Florida there was a web site from the state of Florida called, WHAT THE HEALTH-FL ,it is a smart phone app, down load it from your app store on your smart phone if you live in Florida, it list's every single restaurant's health dept score in a circle around the nearest cell tower that you phone is on at that time WITH THEIR VIOLATIONS from scoring a 0 % up to 100% ,THIS SHOULD BE REQUIRED NATIONWIDE IN EVERY STATE, a LOT of the violations were just common sense things like not storing uncooked meat over ready to eat items in the cooler,a lot of people might think they have the flu when in fact they have food poisoning, at the least it helps you know where to spend you food dollars, at the worst you might start eating more at home, hope you feel better quick, better keep an eye on your, dad, old folks like us, age 71 for me, don't do well with food poisoning.
GO HERE FOR AN EXAMPLE OF THAT LINK, https://whatthehealthapp.com/florida/ , might be the one's protesting AR 15's might want to look into this ,QUOTE, In the United States, food poisoning leads to the hospitalization of 300,000 AND KILLS 5,000 ANNUALLY , What's wrong with this picture, rant over, https://www.sharecare.com/health/food-poisoning/us-food-poisoning-hospitalize-kill

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my lug nuts on my 2009 Tacoma. Definitely not Ford problem, all are like that these days. On my Tacoma, I just pounded a smaller impact socket onto them until I could spin them off, except one where the jacket separated from the nut entirely, and just spun. I thought I had stripped a stud. :'( What I ended up doing was drilling into that one and pulling the foil off bit by bit to expose the actual nut underneath, and then I could spin it with the impact like normal. No busted stud. :D

On the Expedition, my tire shop swapped out 5 of mine when I got a rotation for C$6 each just last weekend. They're just the Dorman solid nuts from NAPA. I will probably get a set of 20 more from RockAuto for $50 (C$2.70 each lol) and swap them out before the next rotation.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I would be back at the shop, who worked on it last. I am guessing someone used a standard, on the metric lug. They do make plastic lined sockets to protect, this type of lugs.

UncleDJ

Reaction score
Had the same issue on the 2011 Ford Fusion I had before I bought the Expedition. I bought a set of "solid" chrome lug nuts off e-bay that looked great, but were severely rusted after only 3 months. It was Winter in Central OH, and that didn't help, but I was hoping to get a bit more time out of them before the brand new shiny chrome lugnuts turned brown.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like you replaced tin-shrouded American junk with Chinese pot-metal junk. I think the original ones were safer, though probably a pain, to say the least. Watch out for them, they tend to strip out easily. I had no idea Ford used this garbage on Expeditions.

Do they fall apart even if you use the correct metric socket, whatever the hell that is?

Boy, do I miss my Excursion.

Hope the wings are passing...
Based on the pics, those are Gorilla lug nuts. Gorilla makes a reliable quality product. I run their lug nuts on my Expedition and have done the same on my last 3 vehicles. Never had one rust or fail.

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Do any of the matte black Dorman lug nuts fit on our 3rd gens?

EDIT: JExpedition07, I see the ones you ordered are available in black. Will be very curious to hear your thoughts once you have them in hand.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
An Amazon comment on the chrome Chinese Gorilla lugs said they completely rusted in two months.
Ive had mine for about a month now and no issue. I had some of mine off today while doing a wheel bearing and no rust or imperfections at all. I also live in the northeast so they've seen a hard month with all the snow and rain we've had.