NEED PERFORMANCE UPGRADE ADVICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the adding CAI etc the gains are minimal to nonexistent with minor improvements. The manufacturer did set up up to be the most efficient and get whatever stable power they could out of the engine. In fact, some mods can give you a negative effect, though adding dual exhaust does make it sound better. From what I have seen the only way to get more power would be adding forced induction (blower - 20ish hp gain) or going all in and tearing into the engine (expensive) with the appropriate tuning.

As for suspension and the aftermarket they don't show 2nd gens much love so there is no engineered suspension packages that I am aware of albeit I looked deeply into it a couple of years back.

You did not mention what goal you had for your suspension so I will assume with wanting the stock ride height you want better handling. From what I have seen you can get better front and rear anti-sway bars, replace rubber bushing with urethane (from what I have seen there is no kit the best I have seen is some mix of F150 front end and a mix of universal fitting parts, but do your research) then upgraded shocks.

Ford for the most part did a good job on the suspension IMO and based on the weight, height and length of the expy handles pretty well. The suspension mods I mentioned will give you a firmer/harder ride so you will need to balance your needs.

OP
OP
Zach Dean

Zach Dean

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the adding CAI etc the gains are minimal to nonexistent with minor improvements. The manufacturer did set up up to be the most efficient and get whatever stable power they could out of the engine. In fact, some mods can give you a negative effect, though adding dual exhaust does make it sound better. From what I have seen the only way to get more power would be adding forced induction (blower - 20ish hp gain) or going all in and tearing into the engine (expensive) with the appropriate tuning.

As for suspension and the aftermarket they don't show 2nd gens much love so there is no engineered suspension packages that I am aware of albeit I looked deeply into it a couple of years back.

You did not mention what goal you had for your suspension so I will assume with wanting the stock ride height you want better handling. From what I have seen you can get better front and rear anti-sway bars, replace rubber bushing with urethane (from what I have seen there is no kit the best I have seen is some mix of F150 front end and a mix of universal fitting parts, but do your research) then upgraded shocks.

Ford for the most part did a good job on the suspension IMO and based on the weight, height and length of the expy handles pretty well. The suspension mods I mentioned will give you a firmer/harder ride so you will need to balance your needs.

Thank you! I didn't get any alerts from your guys! My goal it to have a streetable truck not really into the offroad, I want to increase power and handling my goal is to have it super charged in the future but not right now

OP
OP
Zach Dean

Zach Dean

Reaction score
I have an 03 XLT 4x4 and have tried the GOTT, K&N intake, and Gibson cat back and seen pretty much no improvement on an otherwise stock motor. The best mileage I ever saw was 20 on the road from Tucson to Deming in early September following a Uhaul running 60-70 mph over the hills. Getting into the Midwest with speed picking up to 70-75 got it down to 17. A few days later the #1 coil quit, and I decided to have the shop perform the long-put off tuneup. I haven’t been back on the road since, but mileage seems to be around 12 poking around town - pretty much where it always was since new. I have been able to get 18 when staying on 65 mph 2-lanes, but 17 seems as good as it gets on the interstates. I haven’t tried messing with the computer, but not sure it’s worth the expense. Anyway, a 5.4 2V pulling 6k pounds of vehicle with 3:73 gears is just not going to be that efficient but put it in context with a camper special from the 70s getting about half that mileage.... I also run synthetic oil at factory specs - more for longevity than anything else.

Not really looking for MPG gains I couldn't care less about gas, I just want more out of that 5.4 mine is a 3v and I just want more performance from my truck!

OP
OP
Zach Dean

Zach Dean

Reaction score
my 2cents:

I've seen little hard evidence that either the Gotts mod, a CAI or efans, pulleys, etc. make any significant difference. lots of stories, but no actual numbers.
These may be helpful as part of a completely integrated design, but I would not waste time with stand alone aftermarket add-ons.
Opening up the breathing, in and out, when properly done, should be helpful - remember your motor is just an air pump, after all. But, keep in mind, opening up the breathing will also pass more gas through it. it's next to impossible, and certainly not cheap, to get significant power and mileage gains at the same time.

Ford's done a pretty good job with the stock suspension. I'm not aware of any aftermarket component that will improve on it significantly without altering ride height. You can get better durability out of it, though.
It sounds like what you might be looking for is a long travel suspension. That would definitely improve suspension performance off road, but it would not be cheap - I'm not aware of any available kits in the aftermarket for the late model expedition. Doesn't mean it's impossible - there are some mechanical geniuses out there capable of simply building it from scratch, but they're not cheap.

circling back around, I've been looking for hard numbers for CAI, efans, etc. for a couple of years now. if anyone has done before and after dyno runs, I'd love to see them. I can't even get anyone to produce before and after intake temps for a CAI.
I do not care for the manufacturer's dyno runs in a pristine lab environment on an engine stand. The theory is correct, so it would be odd if they could not generate good numbers. But, it's the actual application on a specific truck that has yet to produce real worthwhile numbers.
I started this process (on my last few trucks) intending to do all of the above. Gotts, CAI, efans, pulleys, etc. I did the Gotts mod on an F150. the results were so disappointing I started to look past the anecdotes and obvious ********, looking for hard numbers. that was several years ago; I have yet to see real-world numbers worth the money.

My goal is definitely not MPG gains, I couldn't care less about gas mileage, I just want more performance out of my truck I know the 5.4 has potential but this is my first truck ever and I don't have experience with what could waken up the power train, also I am aware that for real gains Forced Induction will be the answer, but wondering if there has been anything you guys have done or seen that could help!

And yeah I am inexperienced with the suspension for trucks, but I don't want offroad just better handling for street

charrules

Reaction score
I am working on building power in a 2wd with the 4.6l I have gone through with cold air intake
Cleaning of throttle and intake manifold
Race grade plugs and coils can't recall the brands I used they work really well
Muffler delete custom pipe work done
And some other things my truck feels different from stock when it was all said and done its got more get up but I don't have any done spreads to show for it yet I want to supercharge the motor then get it tuned with a stand alone ecm this is my engine bay as of August 14th of last year haven't had time to do anything else yet

Attachments

• 20210814_125905.jpg
    20210814_125905.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 7

charrules

Reaction score
It bothered me not remembering the brands I got for my tune up here they are both fit the 5.4 and the 4.6

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220207-091302_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220207-091302_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220207-091416_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220207-091416_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For handling I replaced the sway bar bushings and end links with Moog parts and installed Rancho Quicklift struts. That certainly improved handling compared to the factory air suspension, but it sure didn't turn it into a sports car. The ride height remained identical to the air suspension, but I am able to adjust the compression/rebound of the struts and I prefer a slightly harsh ride. An increase in tire pressure will help, as would lower profile tires. Expeditions are very versatile and useful, but they are not performance vehicles. Getting real improvements in acceleration and handling is going to take massive amounts of time, money and work still with limited results compared to other platforms.

Actually if yours has AWD on dry pavement that will make a noticeable improvement in traction getting through turns. It'll cost you a bit in fuel and wear the transfer case clutches faster the more you use it, but it does help keep the front tires from slipping a bit.

Vincent Vega

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For handling I replaced the sway bar bushings and end links with Moog parts and installed Rancho Quicklift struts. That certainly improved handling compared to the factory air suspension, but it sure didn't turn it into a sports car. The ride height remained identical to the air suspension, but I am able to adjust the compression/rebound of the struts and I prefer a slightly harsh ride. An increase in tire pressure will help, as would lower profile tires. Expeditions are very versatile and useful, but they are not performance vehicles. Getting real improvements in acceleration and handling is going to take massive amounts of time, money and work still with limited results compared to other platforms.

Actually if yours has AWD on dry pavement that will make a noticeable improvement in traction getting through turns. It'll cost you a bit in fuel and wear the transfer case clutches faster the more you use it, but it does help keep the front tires from slipping a bit.
@whtbronco are the Rancho Quicklifts good offroad? How do they compare with the stock struts? Thanks

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. Life has gotten very interesting lately shall we say.

IMO the Expedition in anything like stock form is not an off-road vehicle. Sure it'll handle rough dirt roads, fields and such, but it won't handle the massive rocks, deep mud and steep hill climbs I used to do in my 78 Bronco. The wheel base is a bit long and it has to be lifted so much to put any decent tire size on it it's crazy. Anyway, I originally had the air suspension so I can't really compare the Rancho QuickStruts to the factory spring equipped struts. I can say that the adjustable suspension rebound/compression makes these incomparable to the air suspension. The only thing not improved is the auto leveling feature of the air suspension, obviously. There's no delay waiting for it pump up the air bags to prevent tire rubbing, it tracks flatter in turns and I like to push it as far as the tires will allow and sometimes a bit beyond that, road feel is improved, it's more consistent/predictable. Going down gravel roads and rough roads at up 50-55mph is much more confidence inspiring. Speed bumps up to 35mph are no concern. The QuickStruts offer a very smooth and supple ride up at setting 1 to a harsh ride nearing that of an empty bed pickup at setting 9 if you want. As you tighten the suspension it handles better, less body roll. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it really does seem that the feedback from the tires improves as the struts are tightened as well.

It is so nice not listening to that dang air compressor at every startup.

I wanted the XLT, my wife wanted the EB. Actually I wanted an XLT Excursion. Guess who won, :-(.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember this deal with CAI years ago. Some claimed crazy power increases. But they were unable to answer this ? How does a CAI do much of anything when the car/truck is not moving? Like on a dyno.