Power running boards - keep them in OUT position?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjjohnson

Reaction score
My driver side running board on my '19 w/ 1500 miles it intermittently working. I tried to just set them to the OUT position using the settings. Seems that any setting (OUT, OFF) is defaulted back to AUTO after driving a short time.

Anyone find a way to keep the running boards in the OUT position? Or OFF? My 2019 Limited resets to auto as well as the loaner 2019 Platinum I am using while they repair the running board. The settings are there but they keep defaulting once I start driving again.

Sowie1701

Reaction score
These running boards stick out farther than the non retractable running boards. If you could drive with them out you risk hitting a curb, etc....or leave them out while going through a car wash you could damage them. Please don’t ask how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well you can’t do that because if you open a door while moving the trans will shift to park and cause all sorts of damage, never open a door while moving......
Or just come to a stop, open the door, and then start moving again...it stays in D if you do it that way.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had issues recently. Took it to the Lincoln dealer and they cleaned sensors and updated the software and I haven’t had any issues.

I don’t take my Expedition to Ford dealers any more because they seem incompetent and never fix my issues.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t take my Expedition to Ford dealers any more because they seem incompetent and never fix my issues.

YES! I have come to the same conclusion and also only take mine the Lincoln dealer. Service there has always been excellent and they always have loaners.

I do wonder if you can have any Blue Oval serviced at a Lincoln dealership, or if it’s up to the Lincoln dealer’s discretion.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have mine set to off (in) and they have stayed that way. Not sure why the "out" position wouldn't work the same, but then we're talking Ford logic.