Sync 3 won't Connect to internet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fetasigma

Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot get sync 3 to connect to my home internet on my 2018 expedition, tried a master reset no luck. It does see the network, just won't connect. Tried using wps, no luck. Set up a guest network without a password and it hooked up right away but I am not going to to leave a open network open. Once I put a simple password on that it wouldn't connect to that either? What am I missing?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot get sync 3 to connect to my home internet on my 2018 expedition, tried a master reset no luck. It does see the network, just won't connect. Tried using wps, no luck. Set up a guest network without a password and it hooked up right away but I am not going to to leave a open network open. Once I put a simple password on that it wouldn't connect to that either? What am I missing?

What WPA revision are you using for the Password?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
F

fetasigma

Reaction score
I figured it out anyway, it didn't like the 802.11r band on my router, all fixed now that it's disabled, but stupid that it is affected by that

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I figured it out anyway, it didn't like the 802.11r band on my router, all fixed now that it's disabled, but stupid that it is affected by that

802.11r isn’t a band, it is fast roaming and should only be an issue if you have 2 or more Access points with the same SSID. I am guessing you have a mesh wifi network like Orbi or Velop?

OP
OP
F

fetasigma

Reaction score
Yep I have a deco mesh network, solved the issues, not sure adding the wifi did anything in the truck lol, may do the upgrade to 3.4 sync when I am out of warranty

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep I have a deco mesh network, solved the issues, not sure adding the wifi did anything in the truck lol, may do the upgrade to 3.4 sync when I am out of warranty

That explains it. Most likely, 2 of your mesh points were equal distance signal strength wise and it couldn’t make a decision. Sync 3 only operates on 2.4Ghz.

Just do 3.4 now. Won’t affect warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Really won't affect warranty? I am. Still under 30000

I have run Beta’s on my Sync Radio’s many times over the years. Just like anything else, they would need to prove it caused the problem.

If during the install, you bricked the unit. They could reload it at the dealer using their system. If you were honest about what you were doing it would be less than 1 hour of shop time that you would pay.

OP
OP
F

fetasigma

Reaction score
Updated it to the new version, cant wait to play with it on the road, install was easy with your instructions and link loki

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was the closest topic I could find so I figured I'd post here rather than create a new post. I have two questions and possibly complaints about getting Wifi setup on these. I have a 2019 expy with Sync3. Went to enable Wifi for updates and found that not only does it look like I cannot view the Wifi mac address, but there's no way to manually connect to a network. My SSID's aren't broadcast, and I enforce Mac address whitelists.

I also wish it had a diagnostic screen, that would at least show me easy details, like IP address once associated, and again MAC address. This stuff should be table stakes.

Has anyone found a way around this? Super annoying, at this point, that any manufacturer that includes WiFi in any system doesn't give an interface for things like this. I'm also not sure where the Wifi antenna might be in this rig, but it show's a pretty week signal, but yet if I take my laptop into the car, with a wifi analyzer, signal strength is actually still pretty good.