The "Auto Stop-Start" is so annoying!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ASS hasn’t shut my vehicle off in about 8 months. The reason given by the gauge cluster is “Engine on Due To Vehicle Charging.” Additionally, when I open my doors with the engine off (when I get home) the interior lights only stay on for about 10 seconds before they shut off and I get the “we had to turn everything off to save the battery” message.

Something is clearly wrong with either my battery (it’s not holding enough charge) or my alternator (it’s not charging the battery sufficiently). And, before someone suggests it’s because the vehicle isn’t on long enough to charge sufficiently, the length of drive doesn’t matter; I did a two hour drive the other day and when I reached my destination...same thing, interior lights all shut off within 15 seconds of opening door.

It’s headed to the dealer today and I’ll report back.
I can’t recall if you ever reported back about your battery and the trip to the dealer... what did they say? I’m having the same issues as you and they come and go.

ok, I found your reported back post. So I’ll ask a different question... is it still acting up since it’s been back for a week now?

MxRacer965

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First "mod" was the 4D Tech start/stop eliminator before I even had 1K on the ODO. If I wanted a fuel efficient vehicle I wouldn't have bought the largest one possible. If there was a larger vehicle "generally available" I would have bought it. So fuel efficiency was the furthest from my mind when buying a small bus. My 5.7 Hemi Grand Cherokee I had before this I tuned and turned off the stupid MDS feature as well. Just let the V8 sing all the time...

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can’t recall if you ever reported back about your battery and the trip to the dealer... what did they say? I’m having the same issues as you and they come and go.

ok, I found your reported back post. So I’ll ask a different question... is it still acting up since it’s been back for a week now?

It has been flawless since it came back. So apparently maybe that system needs to be kicked in the pants occasionally.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has been flawless since it came back. So apparently maybe that system needs to be kicked in the pants occasionally.
Today, of curiosity, I connected my battery to a battery charger/analyses and it showed my battery was 50-75% charged. I’m going to let it charge and see if the locks and such work. Most of my drives are short and I may go a day or two with no driving so I wouldn’t be shocked if the charging system is always playing catch up.

Plati

Reaction score
Today, of curiosity, I connected my battery to a battery charger/analyses and it showed my battery was 50-75% charged. I’m going to let it charge and see if the locks and such work. Most of my drives are short and I may go a day or two with no driving so I wouldn’t be shocked if the charging system is always playing catch up.
I had that … more than once. Once was after I bought a new battery but did not charge it up myself right away to absolute FULL. Another time was an older battery that had been run down a couple times and was compromised by that. Probably on other occasions the alternator wasn't charging it up because it was weak or I did a lot of short trips.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been telling people for years that AGM batteries are hard to top off with any vehicle. And I know my 19’ Expy can’t do it with short daily trips. It needs like a 8 hour drive or put the charger on it every so often. AGM compatible charger that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been telling people for years that AGM batteries are hard to top off with any vehicle. And I know my 19’ Expy can’t do it with short daily trips. It needs like a 8 hour drive or put the charger on it every so often. AGM compatible charger that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m using a optima AGM charger. I’m just curious if the low charge state is causing issues with my door locks.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m using a optima AGM charger. I’m just curious if the low charge state is causing issues with my door locks.
None of my touch locks were working (other than the driver's door) prior to having my ASS reset. Once they did that, all have been working flawlessly. So yes, I bet you have a low battery and the system is deprioritizing the always-on door sensors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger