Tow package for extra 4x4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s fine, but it’s power that isn’t translated to acceleration without that heavy towing lugging around that heavy graphite-iron block ;), a 7.3 will still leave you at a stop light. My Uncle has an F-450 King Ranch with the 6.7L, my dad has an F-250 Lariat Ultimate with the 6.2 gasser. They ran neck and neck when we played around with them. Now tune the diesel and game over!!! Hopefully the new 6.7 dominates when it’s pitted against the others towing.

Last edited:

GC2019

Reaction score
Sounds like you are entirely confused on the reason people buy an HD. Who buys a HD truck to drag race?
1/4 mile time slips?
Economy?
Cost?
Is red light racing an actual selling point on an 8,500 lb truck? But since you brought it up, I think you will see the stock 2020 psd 10 speed will probably be the quickest and fastest of the entire bunch.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think I’m the confused one here. You said you never tow over 10k pounds, don’t plow, and use it as a grocery getter....you say you like the most power. I rebutted showing that power doesn’t show up materially without towing because of extra curb weight and showed the pluses of the new gas big block. Who buys a truck that size for racing? Probably the same people who don’t tow and use it as a daily driver to tow their boat once a year. You don’t need to prove anything, especially to me. I’m just a young college age guy who drives an Expedition Max around with a V8 and 4x4 because I like to. It’s capable and pulls my boat. I could drive a Honda Civic but choose not to. Just like people buy HD trucks and choose to red light race them lol. The diesel has its place, I like em but many are under-utilized and the gains aren’t realized.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have certainly gone off the rails with this thread.

Hopefully @carymccarr isn't too offended.

Lol. I’ve been interneting for a long time. Never put anyone one ignore, never lost sleep and have never been offended. It’s the interwebs.

Derail away!! It’s all good.

GC2019

Reaction score
If everyone bought for strictly their needs, there would be no Mustangs, Corvettes, challengers, Jeeps, lambos etc. They may only be college age kids driving older Expeditions...
Some people choose to have 1,050 lbs of torque available at 1,600 RPM. Because they can...

BTW, my last Powerstroke couldn’t get out of its own way in stock form.. a little tuning..it would turn a sub 12 second 1/4 mile.. :)Just imagine what’s left in the new 2020 6.7L....
So yes, there are people out there who may take it to the next level because it’s fun.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO (aren't almost ALL posts simply "opinions" ?) ...

4x4 and even AWD are not worth the "price of admission" let alone the decrease in fuel economy for almost all vehicles ! The exception is "work trucks". Trucks that get driven off of hard pavement at least 33% of the time.

The average driver living in snowy areas would be better served by 4 winter tires and the electronic differential lock. Winter tires are specifically design for hard packed snow and ice which is what drive encounter most often,

I like the HD Tow Package. At least in the past, it included a HD radiator and an auxiliary transmission cooler, both nice to have even when NOT towing.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO (aren't almost ALL posts simply "opinions" ?) ...

4x4 and even AWD are not worth the "price of admission" let alone the decrease in fuel economy for almost all vehicles ! The exception is "work trucks". Trucks that get driven off of hard pavement at least 33% of the time.

The average driver living in snowy areas would be better served by 4 winter tires and the electronic differential lock. Winter tires are specifically design for hard packed snow and ice which is what drive encounter most often,

I like the HD Tow Package. At least in the past, it included a HD radiator and an auxiliary transmission cooler, both nice to have even when NOT towing.

We have enough steep hills in my area that just snow tires and 2WD won't allow you to climb the hills when the roads are snowy. I still install snow tires on my Expy since 4x4 doesn't help you stop any better in snow. In flatter terrain, just snow tires would be fine I'm sure. Locking the rear diff in snow is the fastest way to end up with the rear end of the vehicle in the ditch on a steep hill since the crown of the road causes the rear end to slide towards the ditch with the rear diff locked (ask me how I know :))

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We lived in the Rockies, 9000' and five miles and a thousand feet of rocky road above the highway for nearly 20 years. We had 4WD in four Expeditions and two pickups and engaged 4WD frequently. I don't recall ever using low range except to play a time or two.

Manual locking front hubs on my F-350 and my '87 Bronco were engaged sometimes to get me out of situations I'm guessing you might think low range would be needed. It wasn't.

A tow package with a 4WD vehicle is always a good idea IMO.