Tow package for extra 4x4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We lived in the Rockies, 9000' and five miles and a thousand feet of rocky road above the highway for nearly 20 years.
A tow package with a 4WD vehicle is always a good idea IMO.
For you, yes. For "Joe Average", it is a waste of money !

OP
OP
C

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO (aren't almost ALL posts simply "opinions" ?) ...

4x4 and even AWD are not worth the "price of admission" let alone the decrease in fuel economy for almost all vehicles ! The exception is "work trucks". Trucks that get driven off of hard pavement at least 33% of the time.

The average driver living in snowy areas would be better served by 4 winter tires and the electronic differential lock. Winter tires are specifically design for hard packed snow and ice which is what drive encounter most often,

I like the HD Tow Package. At least in the past, it included a HD radiator and an auxiliary transmission cooler, both nice to have even when NOT towing.

There is no way I’d have a rear wheel drive vehicle with in the winter. Driving through squalls, storms and up steep grades I watch AWD vehicles sliding off the road. Let alone a rear drive vehicle. I put snows on my 4x4 now and have had some pretty hairy situations.

Congage

Reaction score
It really depends on your use and most importantly your location. Your own situation will be what decides equipment. Without low I cant get up my driveway. Last week 6 inches snow on 12% grade. Good luck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was at the cabin and we got lost as a closed seasonal use road turned into a narrow muddy trail 4x4 Low kept my Expedition moving through the mud. There was no turning around too late. Without it I would have been sunk. 4A reacted, but too slow. 4H throttle inputs caused some spinning albeit better than 4A. 4L was just right and pushed the truck right on through until we came out to a street again. No way would I go without low range just for the few times it saves you.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same issue. My reasoning was

#1 Other than the out dated Sequoia which I was replacing and the too small 4runner there are very few truck based 4x4 wagons left. Most now are tall AWD cars and most have lousy transmissions or very very limited power split capability.

If I bought in the full sized bracket I wanted real 4x4 capability. In my old Sequoia I used the center locker many times mostly because I had no Rear locker.

I bought end of last month there were lots of 2019 higher end Expeditions left. Rough numbers show that Ford averages 1 a month per Dealer sold. Thats super low volume for Ford.

The upper trim versions are getting heavily discounted. I bought a Platinum at the price of a loaded Limited.

And yes I got the heavy tow package and the added proper 4x4 equipment.

I might tow something in the 5000lb range or less in the future but I don’t have any interest in towing big heavy trailers. My camping rig is a 4x6 1500lb packed trailer. It traverses the wests long fast 70-80mph highways without so much as a hiccup. I’m sticking with the light, compact tows at any sane speed trailers. LOL

Resale doesn’t matter to me I keep my rigs a long time. By the I sell them they aren’t worth much.

Scott Carden

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok here’s the deal. I have had 3 expeditions and one navigator. The 5.4 liter is best for towing. The preferred gear range is 3.73. Which did come stock on my 2014 EL king ranch. Tow package is definitely preferable as it has heavy duty sway bar, heavy rear shocks, trailer hitch with multi plug hookup and electric brake controller. Mine has 4x4 with a low range setting which is great for steep boat ramps or muddy camp grounds. Traction control is only a limited electronic helper that controls wheel spin. It is NOT a replacement for lock up or limited spin differential! For some reason for stopped putting in lock up rear ends in expedition. My 99, 2000, and 2001 all had it but my 2014 does not. However it can be added it. Ford makes the part or there is plenty of aftermarket products that are excellent. An electric lock up is preferable to me. Let’s look at what you really have without 4x4. You have only 2 traction wheels. If one looses grip then the computer cuts the engine power to eliminate the wheel spin. It does not apply power to the other wheel. So you really have one wheel drive.Anyone who has gotten stuck will tell you that to get the wheel to spin at all you have to turn off the traction control by the button on the dash. Traction control is designed to reign in the engine power on slippery roads so you don’t come around sideways by the rear end kicking out. Once you are sitting still and stuck it’s no help at all, actually it’s a hinderance and that’s why ford made a button to easily turn it off. It is in no way a replacement for 4x4 or a locking differential . Do yourself a big favor get a 4x4 expedition and have a locker put in the rear end. You will thank me for it, it’s a life saver.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum has the locker also. As far as I could tell the Limited with towing package or the special versions FX, Texas one, or Blacked out etc.

Given I didn’t want the silly special packages and discounted Platinums are plenty so thats why I went Platinum they get all the toys. You can always swap in proper wheels and dump the 22’s lol. I will probably do that when these tires need to be replaced

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Platinum has the locker also. As far as I could tell the Limited with towing package or the special versions FX, Texas one, or Blacked out etc.

Given I didn’t want the silly special packages and discounted Platinums are plenty so thats why I went Platinum they get all the toys. You can always swap in proper wheels and dump the 22’s lol. I will probably do that when these tires need to be replaced

The Platinum only has the locker if you select the HD Tow Package with 3:73 rear end.