Transmission Failing timeline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NTY18

Reaction score
My wife's 2021 Expedition XLT FX4 with 37k is starting to have transmission issues. Slipping on the HWY preceded and followed by rattling noises and a burning-ish smell. Seems consistent with everything I've read on this thread. Brought it to the dealership we purchased it from, and they said there is nothing wrong because they cannot replicate the issue. Cool. While on a trip, I videoed the truck in the act, dash with tach spinning up along with noises. Stopped by another dealer in the area, showed them the video and I'm not convinced they care. Stated they must be able to replicate the issue IOT repair and the video is basically a non-factor. Kinda pissed me off frankly. I'm going to bring it in and hope for the best. In the interim, I'm researching Lemon Laws here in Alabama. I'll post updates as they come.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
someone just posted a TSB that came out about the transmission. That should help you with getting help on the transmission issue.

Nate78

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues with their transmission not finding a gear on downshifts? We have a 2018 Limited and this week driving some back roads, I hit the throttle to pass a few cars in front of me. When I hit the accelerator to pass, the trans started clanking around hunting for a gear and never found it. The truck was basically in neutral so I had to back off the gas and fall back in line until it slid its way into gear. I haven't noticed issues with our trans at all until this point. Anyone else had this issue? I searched the site and didn't find anything on it.
Had the same thing happen in my 2020 XLT MAX. Called to set up an appt to get checked and the dealership said they would have to put me on a callback list for July since they are having so many transmission issues. This will be my 3rd visit for hard downshifting and now the same thing you described. I only have 43k miles.

Arthur Doumas

Reaction score
I took my 2019 in just last week because of the downshift/hesitation issue and just received word that it's the valve body problem. The dealer told me the parts are already on back order and the truck won't get repaired until sometime in July.
Update: Scanned codes returned P0752 and P0756. Dealer performed TSB 22-2428 and all is clear. Funny how things change when you ask the right questions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnjohn205