Travel Trailer fishtailed - Hitch problem? - Any advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
PatW

PatW

Reaction score
PROBABLE ANSWERS AND AN EXPLANATION FOR OUR FISHTAILING -

THANKS, EVERYONE! You’ve all been wonderfully helpful in figuring out about our sway and fishtailing. With your help, we’ve learned a lot about out Expy, our Travel Trailer, and towing a Trailer. Our opinion now is that it was a “Perfect Storm” of things happening at the same time, including a primary problem regarding the Hitch as it was installed by the RV Dealer.

HITCH HEIGHT - We have come to the conclusion that the main reason for our Sway and Fishtailing problem was the Hitch as originally installed by the selling RV Dealer. That Hitch was set as if our TT’s hitch receiver was LOWER THAN THE BALL ON OUR EXPY’S HITCH. BUT a different Dealer’s more-experienced RV Mechanic has now re-measured, and shown us that the Hitch should have been set for the TT’s hitch receiver to be HIGHER THAN THE BALL ON OUR EXPY’S HITCH. Looking back at photos of our unloaded Trailer (which we had proudly taken for our photo album) we can now see that the Expy’s front was somewhat elevated, not level with the ground. (We have changed the photo of our Expy and Trailer for you to see this.)

LANCE TRAVEL TRAILER – We have enormous respect and appreciation for how seriously and thoroughly Lance Camper Mfg. Corp. analyzed our Trailer. Lance and BAL/Norco reps did a VERY extensive analysis of our frame. Each component part of the frame was checked, and it was found that everything was assembled correctly. There was NO indication that the frame components had been stressed beyond the design limitations. They test-towed it - initially with a truck, then later with an SUV (a Chevy Suburban ½-ton, to try to replicate our tow vehicle). It was test-towed across a wide range of road surfaces, at various speeds. They did not use an equalizer system or a sway bar. They concluded that our Lance TT is in proper towing condition and has no apparent defect.

FORD EXPEDITION – Our Expedition is an XLT Model, HD tow package, 5.4 L, V-8 engine, 4x2, 3.73 axle ratio, 119” wheelbase. Prodigy brake controller. We also respect and appreciate that our Ford Dealer has been great about checking our Expy over in every way and taking it out for test drives. It is also in excellent and proper towing condition.

SWAY – Looking back on the incidents, I believe that a semi had just passed us both times when we swayed and fishtailed. Our Travel Trailer is unusually lightweight for its overall size. It’s an “ultra-light.” We estimate it was about 4,000 lbs. fully loaded. (Gross dry weight of our TT is 3242 lbs., axle weight is 2886 lbs., GVWR is 5200 lbs. At the Lance factory when they recently checked it out, it weighed 3760 lbs., axle weight of 3360 lbs. This included A/C, 2 batteries, propane, about 20 gallons water. To try to figure it all out, I separately weighed everything we had taken with us, and it all came to about 300 lbs. So we estimate that our weight was 4,000 – 4,100 lbs. when we fishtailed. It is a 22’8” trailer, with a height of 107”.) We believe now that this extra-lightweight, non-aerodynamically-engineered “box on wheels” acted as a 9-foot-tall-by-nearly-23-foot-long fiberglass sail. I believe this destabilized our Expy, which was already having a problem because of the Hitch Height disparity. Our Expy came through for us, and we did not have an accident, but . . . .) Confirming this opinion, I read with GREAT interest the article mentioned by Toms89 on the 4/22/12 posting by JSzub67 (http://www.rvingmississippi.com/trailer_hitch.htm), “Hitch Your Trailer: How Trailer Length Affects Towing Stability,” and looked at YouTube videos of trucks swaying (unnerving to watch and remember!). Our ultra-light 23-foot trailer seemed to have tested the limits of our Expy’s 119-inch wheelbase, with the Hitch problem. This all seems to explain our swaying and fishtailing, although there may also have been some other minor issues (a “Perfect Storm”).

We feel VERY fortunate that we came through the sway and fishtailing experiences without having an accident. Experiences like that make a person appreciate every minute of every day!

THANKS to your comments/suggestions and our follow-up research, before we would ever travel again with our Expy and TT, we would also make other changes:

WEIGHT - We have located a local truck weigh scale that we can drive to without first going onto the Interstate. We would go there when fully loaded for travel, to confirm our weight is not excessive.

TONGUE WEIGHT - We would check this out, using the new Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale that we bought. We consider this purchase a wise investment in safety. (Thank you, everyone who questioned this and gave us information about TT tongue weight!)

HITCH/SWAY CONTROL/WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM - We discussed our problem with that very knowledgeable RV Mechanic at the new local RV Dealer. He recommended and installed a Blue Ox SwayPro Weight Distribution and Sway Control system (BXW0750, for up to 750 lbs. tongue weight). We hope that this will resolve our swaying problem, so that we can enjoy towing with our Expy, the way you do.SET-UP - That RV Mechanic has said that before we would travel, he’d check that we are set up correctly and would test-tow it, too, to reassure us and ensure that the contents are properly distributed.

So, WE THANK YOU ALL for helping unravel our mystery!!

Pat

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck with it on your next trip.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My family having two expeditions (2001 eddie bauer with towing package adn 2009 eddie bauer with towing package) for towing a camper similar to yours except slightly heavier we have a reese sway bar with two reese springs. The RV place should have sold you these before you left the lot. If you want a picture of our set up can get you them along with the parts needed. We even had a sway bar for a pop up camper.
http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Weight_Distribution_Hitchwith_Trunnion_Bars,7903

http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Friction_Sway_Control_Assembly_and_Fasteners,3400

Last edited:

Mml1025

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Expy Xlt 2wd, class 5 hitch, prodigy electric brake controller and curt industries 10k lb wd bars and a single sway control made by curt as well. I'm towing a 2011 Nomad 29ft (33ft) 7000# with 900# tongue weight.

Picked up RV on Friday 4 hours from our house and had the ride of our life on the way home, i4 and I95 in Florida. I lost steering a few brief times, the truck is squatting 2" with the 1000# bars, the trailer owned me...... I've towed a little over 15 years, several different travel trailers, only difference I've always had heavy duty 1 ton tow vehicles.

I wasn't swaying but steering wasn't all there, I know because Expy was squatting it raised the front and made it that much more difficult to keep on the road. I found no air suspension or coil upgraded for the 10 Expy?

Once we made it home I was able to adjust the wd bars and get the vehicle to squat only 1" from how she normally sits unloaded, but the bars opposed to being level where be bending upward on the chain end, is that ok? I'm thinking to much pressure on the bars?

When you get there, measure the total weight of the Expy and TT hooked up. Then unhook the TT, drive the Expy off the scales, and weigh again. That gives you the TT weight. Weigh your Expy alone. Then park the TT with the wheels NOT on the scales, and use the wood blocks to get the TT tongue reasonably level. Now weigh the TT--the weight will be the weight the TT puts on your hitch.

Now you have the data and can know what the problem is. My guess: not enough weight on the hitch.

I'm towing a 29' long Keystone Outback that weighs about 7200 pounds, with my '08 Expy EL. I use a Husky WDH and one sway bar. The rig is solid as a rock when that tractor trailer blows my doors off going 75 or 80. Your Expy and your TT seem to be well within the limits of what the Expy can handle, but check out that actual hitch weight.

Good luck![/QUOTE]