What do you pay for an oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
62011BD6-50F0-42B4-B6FB-514B9E11C716.jpeg
I just bought 12 in a case of the FL-820S For $42 and change ,and the FL-500S case of 12 for $44 and change from Amazon Prime.......thanks! Why didn’t I think to buy by the case before????
They came in and look like the real deal.

smith627

Reaction score
DIY for a little over $20.
From Walmart a Havoline 6qt. bulk oil in a box and $4 FL820 filter.
I save empty kitty litter plastic container for disposal of used oil.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
7 Quarts, that is what my 5.4L V8 takes (2011). Not sure why everyone is referring to 6 quarts. The dealer for $49 is the deal. Jiffylube quoted me $68. The dealer rotates the tires, does a multipoint check, and informs me if the headlights are out, or if the horn doesn't work, or if I am driving on 3 wheels. Plus I get to sit in a comfy lounge with wifi, to drink free latte's and eat popcorn. It is a pain to make an appointment 2 or 3 weeks out though. That's why I do it myself for about $30, but then I get the mess. Reaching the filter from the front and under is easy. Drain bolt, even easier. Storing the funnel and drain pan is the hard part.

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I pay anywhere from $28 to $35, depending on the oil brand, for the oil change special at Advance Auto Parts. I usually have a speed perks coupon which discounts it an additional $5 to $10. The special consist of a 5 quart jug of 5w30 high mileage synthetic oil and a filter. Return used oil there also. Funny how the price of gasoline or petro as you call it, fluctuates here but oil stays pretty steady.

Seeing as my three 5.4's capacities are 6 quarts or more I have to purchase 2 oil change specials every so often which is why I have no shortage of oil filters. The extra quarts are used for future changes and topping off, for sometimes I have to add a quart between changes. I change oil every 5000 miles with the synthetic. Takes me about 10 to 15 minutes, no jack needed, easy peazy. One thing I will not use is a Fram filter.
20200728_000722.jpg

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7 Quarts, that is what my 5.4L V8 takes (2011). Not sure why everyone is referring to 6 quarts. The dealer for $49 is the deal. Jiffylube quoted me $68. The dealer rotates the tires, does a multipoint check, and informs me if the headlights are out, or if the horn doesn't work, or if I am driving on 3 wheels. Plus I get to sit in a comfy lounge with wifi, to drink free latte's and eat popcorn. It is a pain to make an appointment 2 or 3 weeks out though. That's why I do it myself for about $30, but then I get the mess. Reaching the filter from the front and under is easy. Drain bolt, even easier. Storing the funnel and drain pan is the hard part.
You get a system down for doing the change yourself and it gets easier. My v-10 took 6 quarts but the 5.4 takes 7 which I really like (better for the engine).

zfifty

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7 Quarts, that is what my 5.4L V8 takes (2011). Not sure why everyone is referring to 6 quarts. .
Seems like I have used 6 quarts before and 7 quarts other times as I recall. Can't remember exactly as I just fill to the full mark from the 5 quart jugs. The book calls for 6 quarts capacity for the 5.4 with filter on my 98, 00 and 02. I have used two different size oil filters over the years. One is longer and adds extra capacity. Mobil 1 from my stock of filters M1-301A is longer than M1-210A is shorter.
20200728_014243.jpg

Last edited:

Jst ROM

Reaction score
Dam you blokes from across the pond, that's an expensive oil change. It's best to do it yourself, you'll save a lot money now and into the future. I have an 08 Expy with 210K miles on it, the only thing that's expensive is my oil filter (Bosch Distance Plus $10-$12). On Amazon/US you can get 5 quart jug of Castro 5w-20 Synthetic Blend for $16. If you're pencil thick you probable won't need a jack and stands to raise up the Expy for an oil change. Out here in Texas if I provide the filter and oil the labor cost me $25-$30.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use steel ramps to change mine and you can't pay me to have it done elsewhere. It gets easier every time you do it.
Yeah I’ve always been a blue collar worker and have always fixed everything I own from vehicles, houses, power equipment, guns, etc.... I just can’t imagine when the time comes that I let someone else change oil in my vehicles. I can tell you this, when that happens I’m not far from the grave. It’s just not in my DNA and it’s not because of the cost factor at all. I guess it’s the feeling that I’ve lost my man card and I’m all washed up and now conceding to the new and younger replacements of my duties. No dig intended on those who take there cars somewhere to get it done for them! I’m actually jealous that I can’t.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire