2018 Expedition HD Tow pkg potential upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stay AWAY from SSI! They may have the fastest but at the risk of serious damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes I've heard the horror stories, it's why I mentioned 5* if I get to that point.
I may never get there though, as I noticed an odd sound accelerating onto Chippenham Pkwy, this morning, at half throttle, sounded expensive...

OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2nd that SSI has popped many motors all over the ecoboost forums, Stay away!!!!!

As I replied above, I have no desire to. In beating their time, with stock ecu, I had considered sending them a note mentioning, they should reconsider advertising that they're home to fastest Expeditions.
As well as the fact my engine has not let go, but I may have been too optimistic...

Last edited:
OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bt dubs, I've officially been published at dragtimes dot com, as the quickest 2018 Expedition, via their records.
Linky....http://dragtimes.com/Ford--Expedition-Drag-Racing.html
My "end game" is to log a couple of <13.25 E.T. passes on a stock ECU strategy '18 Expedition, and dennnn, get a 5 star flash, and lower it to less than 13 seconds.

I've yet, to do a proper burnout, (couple dryhops, but that's it) and me thinks that's worth 2/10's in and of itself. So 13.55-.2=13.35, plus reduction in heatsoak+a proper tune=12.9999999

A fella can dream, right? No matter how misguided?

I couldn't resist, going one last time this year at the dragstrip closest to me. It also happens to be one of two that I had been able to clock a 13.5 pass. The unfortunate part of going here, is there is zero room to avoid the "waterbox". Today with the temps in high 40's to low 50's the "officials" went a bit over generous with the amount of supplied water in the burnout area. Numerous folks mentioned their disdain for what seemed like a complete lack of surface preparation. Plenty of much faster streetcars (12 second latest Gen Mustangs) saying they were anywhere from 2-5 tenths slower, ET.

Now that all of my pisspoor excuses (accurate nonetheless).

I have never once had trouble with traction when at any of the three I had been to with this truck, including this track - until today!!!

Regardless of that one "new" experience, I still managed to click off a [email protected].
Iffffffff the general consensus was accurate from those I spoke with, I'm convinced, had traction not been an issue, I'd have been right about where I thought I could get...~13.25.

I have look back at my prior timeslips, but I think I also posted a new high mph for my truck too.

The Garrett CAC enabled consistency, especially if the first run is "thrown out" I forgot to turn advancetrac off.

It is damn difficult to perform a proper burnout with this thing, even with advancetrac "off" it is obvious there is something "in" the stock tune harpooning the objective. 13.47 was after a somewhat decent burnout, but could have been better still. After doing burnouts, I STILL had mad traction issues until about 100' - 330'. Again, I have never had the issue before today. I don't believe the truck was making significantly more power than prior trips, just that the track surface truly sucked mule deer balls!

IMG_20181117_175151808.jpg

IMG_20181107_184735166.jpg

2Scoops

Reaction score
Just read this entire thread. Crazy that you guys are beating on these boats but I love it. Good luck getting to the 12's. Looks like you are making real progress.

Randy_270

Reaction score
That's an impressive run for stock. Is that run with the boost max? Other then that you just have a Garrett CAC, correct? Also, have you figured out the exact weight of you Expedition yet? If not, its pretty easy. Look at your door stickers. One will have a "max payload" in yellow and then minus that from you gvwr on the other sticker.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
You're making good times, so why not just start looking to cut weight?

Also don't waist your time or money on a 5* tune. Your close to cutting a 12.99 with nearly 800+ lbs more weight than their extended cab f150 had cutting a 12.

A true tune and a boost fooler net similar benefits unless the injectors are made bigger, or cats are removed.

Based on the math of the F150 being 5,000lbs tops (and that's being generous) running a 12.02 puts it at only 470hp at the rear and 512hp at the crank and not 560 as advertised.

Now your weight I think we agreed is around 5,900lbs, so being your running a 13.45 you're basically 440hp at the flywheel and 400 at the wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes Boostmax @100% ~ +2psi Boost
Pedalmax 100% not really any power gain, but reduces response time.

As far as weight goes, I weighed the thing on the scale at work, with the catback (lighter than stock) Pushbar mounted (negates weight savings of catback) full tank of fuel and me in it, not sure the last time it was caliberated but it showed 6120lbs.
I'm right at 235-245lbs
5875-5885lbs

So "as run" weight with me and half of 23 gallons @6.3lbs ~6050lbs

I try not to show up at the dragstrip with any more than half the 23gallons, certainly no less than 1/3. I once did a practice launch with about an eighth of a tank, it was brutal, there was not enough fuel present in the tank, and the truck limped out quickly, as it starved for fuel, which ran away from the sending unit. Threw a few codes, never had this happen again, after ensuring adequate supply of fuel onboard.

The reason I want the Gearhead Tune is mainly for the transmission tuning. "Manually shifting" isn't as direct as I would prefer, via the buttons, there is some delay, I do not care to anticipate push the button at "x" rpm in order for it to actually notch up at "y" rpm.

Plus even with Advancetrac switched off (holding tc button for 8 seconds) and traction control off, there is still some ******** management present, as evidenced by a clip I posted a while ago showing everything "off" but intervention shown in the dash, during the run. No doubt Ford leaves a bit in reserve for those who or their families who would file suit for negligence allowing for some attempts at defying the laws of physics.

Let's be honest, I am one of the few loons who would attempt to make a high center of gravity, heavy vehicle, a "decent" quarter mile funwagon. Certainly a lot cheaper to buy a Mustang GT with Hellion GT twin turbo package (sub $40000 total) with +750hp, than a $58000 brick. Though it would still be fun, it wouldn't be as satisfying as it is, when it flat leaves people wondering WTF? Total sleeper, it's fun in it's own way. Which is funny, because there are so many diesel 4x4 crewcabs running a lot quicker, as well as regular cab, supercab, crewcabs gas trucks, also running a lot quicker, but they all have telltale signs, that perhaps they're not stock. Further perplexing to people, who've inquired, is the big ass pushbumper on the front. It screams "slow" as one person told me. Nobody (at the dragstrip) seems to have much first hand information on the Expedition.

VA Motorsports Park is having a Test n Tune I think the first or second week of December, I plan to go for the final time in 2018. I noticed when I swapped out the intercooler, quite a bit of blow-by was present. I'm going to take the time to clean the cold charge air pipe, throttle body if necessary, and possibly either vent to atomosphere, or put catchcan on, before attending. Just for my own peace of mind, that would eliminate thoughts of "maybe I should have" like I'm thinking today - about yesterday.