2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
Was
SO they obviously have new long block in it, they just swapped the PCM and had a Ford field service rep on site working on it to diagnose it. They STILL can't get it to stop cam phaser rattling. WTF?
They've swapped the wiring harnesses, swapped every sensor under the sun and NOW they THINK it might be a "timing" issue. So how does a new engine and new computer have a timing issue....?
My guess is that it's in the programming / tuning. The software on the computer not the actual hardware. I tuned mine in the first few weeks cause I was worried about the cam phasers, I figured it can't be any worse than OEM, and sometimes things are handled in the aftermarket the oems ignore.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SO they obviously have new long block in it, they just swapped the PCM and had a Ford field service rep on site working on it to diagnose it. They STILL can't get it to stop cam phaser rattling. WTF?
They've swapped the wiring harnesses, swapped every sensor under the sun and NOW they THINK it might be a "timing" issue. So how does a new engine and new computer have a timing issue....?

did the new engine. new everything else.

time for an replacement vehicle, or GTFOH it’s lawyer time.

seriously. this is NOT acceptable for a Ford, much less a lincoln that costs 50% more.

(edit to correct the percentage of cost increase.)

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it doing the cam rattle noise at every start or only cold start? What a complete sh*t show at this point. I know there are outliers to every situation but continued failures like this are laughable.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So is it doing the cam rattle noise at every start or only cold start? What a complete sh*t show at this point. I know there are outliers to every situation but continued failures like this are laughable.

I'm assuming yes but like usual they won't give too many details. They said it makes "a noise" on start up. Well, that screams cam phaser to me as its still throwing all the exact same cam phaser codes as it did BEFORE the engine swap and PCM swap. Like what else is in-between the computer and new engine that could cause phaser rattle when everything is brand new? lol. What a POS

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
This sounds like an engineering or manufacturing problem.

The railroad I worked for just ended their 70 year relationship with Ford after massive problems with new V-6 F150's and Expeditions. They are trying Tahoe police packages now.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got to tell you, this is a total bunch of BS. Maybe it won't matter, but when it's time to replace my Expy, I think it's time for a Genesis, Toyota or Lexus. As my father used to say, there are lemons every where, even Rolls Royce. But, I guess I'll play those odds. My wife has a RAV4, which to me is meh. But, going on 7 years old, ~66,000 miles. NOTHING!!!! Oil changes, one set of tires, and now she's getting close on brakes. Just have to find something I like!