2018 Navigator getting 6th set of Cam Phasers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I refuse to dump this thing, I'm going to see too it that Ford gets it RIGHT! lol. They provided the warranty, so they can pony up until they get it fixed. I don't need it, I have other vehicles, but its getting annoying. I wrote them a check for it when I bought it, so I'm not paying any interest on it, but its been a long time in the shop!
Its got a 8 year 125K warranty on it, so Ford's got a lot of years to keep on this one! lol.
We’re in the same boat as far as ownership outlook lol I’ll be getting out if mine when that extended warranty is close to over.

Dclr

Reaction score
I’m in a similar position myself.

My 2019 has 22K on it and rattles like crazy on startup and got a ‘Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power’ error this morning. (2nd time I got the error recently) No boost at all and felt like it was in limp mode, w/ very little power.

Pulled off the interstate and turned it off for a few mins and the code cleared itself (still shows on the app fortunately). With a 1,500 mile road trip planned next month, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence even with a 7 yr/125K ext warranty.

It’s a challenging position to be in after owning many Toyota SUVs with zero issues at all; most of which were driven to 90K+ miles.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m in a similar position myself.

My 2019 has 22K on it and rattles like crazy on startup and got a ‘Powertrain Malfunction/ Reduced Power’ error this morning. (2nd time I got the error recently) No boost at all and felt like it was in limp mode, w/ very little power.

Pulled off the interstate and turned it off for a few mins and the code cleared itself (still shows on the app fortunately). With a 1,500 mile road trip planned next month, it doesn’t exactly inspire confidence even with a 7 yr/125K ext warranty.

It’s a challenging position to be in after owning many Toyota SUVs with zero issues at all; most of which were driven to 90K+ miles.

My Navigator can't get thru a tank of gas between shop visits. Its never traveled more than 40 miles from home, because we don't trust it would make it.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I refuse to dump this thing, I'm going to see too it that Ford gets it RIGHT! lol. They provided the warranty, so they can pony up until they get it fixed. I don't need it, I have other vehicles, but its getting annoying. I wrote them a check for it when I bought it, so I'm not paying any interest on it, but its been a long time in the shop!
Its got a 8 year 125K warranty on it, so Ford's got a lot of years to keep on this one! lol.
Have you looked into the lemon law in your state?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Deadman help a brother out...

is there any chance you can find out what specific area or port of the engine that was plugged up with sealant? like a name or description or or even an image to reference??-

a month after surgery mine is making noises again, that are not just at startup but absolutely sound timing related - & i am pretty sure it’s gonna get cracked open again & i don’t wanna rinse repeat.... especially not 5 more times before they actually get to the root.

just like you, i’m digging my heels in. I am not gonna dump this thing as i’ve got a 10yr/150k extended. I am also gonna make Ford see this through, if not for me, for the others here, so it may perhaps help some poor owner to avoid the rabbit hole of endless phaser surgeries & endless hours of crappy tiny loaner vehicles & wasted time & energy etc etc. i’ve got other vehicles to drive so it’s a matter of principal at this point TBH.

there is no way that you’re the only one with sealant in this port. i am 100% convinced i’ve got a similar situation with this engine.

sanman28

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow......are these vehicles being taken to Ford dealer for maintenance and repairs? I would be going for lemon law or getting an attorney involved asap. Zero point in keeping such a bad apple. Too bad there are not many new vehicles to buy right now.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Deadman help a brother out...

is there any chance you can find out what specific area or port of the engine that was plugged up with sealant? like a name or description or or even an image to reference??-

a month after surgery mine is making noises again, that are not just at startup but absolutely sound timing related - & i am pretty sure it’s gonna get cracked open again & i don’t wanna rinse repeat.... especially not 5 more times before they actually get to the root.

just like you, i’m digging my heels in. I am not gonna dump this thing as i’ve got a 10yr/150k extended. I am also gonna make Ford see this through, if not for me, for the others here, so it may perhaps help some poor owner to avoid the rabbit hole of endless phaser surgeries & endless hours of crappy tiny loaner vehicles & wasted time & energy etc etc. i’ve got other vehicles to drive so it’s a matter of principal at this point TBH.

there is no way that you’re the only one with sealant in this port. i am 100% convinced i’ve got a similar situation with this engine.

I'll ask them next week. Remember this is the HO from the Lincoln tho, so its quite different than the Expedition 3.5L.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow......are these vehicles being taken to Ford dealer for maintenance and repairs? I would be going for lemon law or getting an attorney involved asap. Zero point in keeping such a bad apple. Too bad there are not many new vehicles to buy right now.

I bought it with 15,000 miles so it wasn't new. $40K off new looked great at the time, but not now. lol