Another retrofit started. RX350!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Nice to see you doing some new retrofits, pretty solid combo you have going there. Output should be incredible.
Are the Hella ballasts 35W? And what made you choose the CBB over the CBI?
Yes the Hella ballast are 35 watt and I have Parts here to boost them but I haven't decided if I'm going to do that yet or not.

I went with the CBB because I like the pure white color. The CBI still have some yellow to them and the CBB actually got better numbers on the lux meter.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Both projectors are fully recessed and solenoid is through. Time to clean up the holes, set permanent alignment on the car and JB weld the gaps/mounting hardware.

20180214_182728.jpg

20180214_182712.jpg

20180214_182706.jpg

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is negligent at best!! Opening yourself up to litigation. Hope you don’t ever get in an accident and your insurance company finds out you have Frankenstein’d headlights!!! Better yet you better hope the other party doesn’t find out!!!!!! Murphy’s Law, if it can happen, it will.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Wow, what is with the immature comments from people lately? Sorry gixer. I had to deal with a guy in another thread who is convinced it’s illegal to go 5mph under the posted speed limit in the U.S. You can’t make this stuff up. Dizzle, I would stop now before you make yourself look even more clueless. You have absolutely no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. His headlamps will be fully legal and actually a proper projector HID setup is safer than a normal incandescent reflector setup because the cutoff is much cleaner thus preventing blinding oncoming drivers. I can’t believe the ignorance I’ve seen the past two days on this forum. Makes me want to go back to my toyota forum. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do my best to ignore the ignorant comments and this case unfortunately he is technically correct but that's not based on the performance Factor it's just that I've altered OEM equipment. However if you actually read dot Rules technically LEDs in any exterior light that was not originally equipped is considered illegal, adding a brush guard to the front of your car is technically illegal because it Alters how the vehicle handles a crash and I can continue for days. He needs to keep in mind that the people that set these rules and regulations are the same people that allow these manufacturers to equip vehicles with lighting that pretty much do nothing at night and make drivers more susceptible to crashes.

For the record this is my second retrofit on this truck and forth retrofit I've ever done . two of the three vehicles had an inspection done at my local state police barracks and passed with the retrofit installed. It was mandatory that they went to the state police barracks because the Expedition failed for an e brake twice because the inspection station was trying to hold it at 3500 RPMs instead of 1300 because he was confused about the new inspection law. So the vehicle was looked at by a DOT officer at the barracks and there were no issues.

I also add all of my retrofitting Parts into my insurance. I give my agent a complete breakdown and he compiles them as if they were one housing to figure cost.

I appreciate his concern but I will no longer deal with crappy OEM lighting and put myself at risk!

FYI this was done with voice to text so if it's a little scattered I apologized. I'm at work and don't really have the time to proofread

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So on our land cruiser forum, the guys that retrofit are split down the middle between blackout reflectors or leaving them mirrored. My opinion (which doesn’t count for much as of late on here) is that leaving them mirrored does make it look much more stock. See mine for example:

9feb6ac95bc36b6ff367c46273f81644.jpg

Blacking then out looks custom and could be awesome if you’re going for the murdered look which BTW some f150s come stock with this look:
7b57adc3078052195eb55fd3618bfd89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro