Another retrofit started. RX350!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Somebody please chime in and school "Muddy bean". Explain to him, going 5 under the speed limit on the highway is bad, can cause an accident and police "could" issue a ticket, for impeding traffic. Most drivers go 5 over. This guy is doing it to save gas.

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Somebody please chime in and school "Muddy bean". Explain to him, going 5 under the speed limit on the highway is bad, can cause an accident and police "could" issue a ticket, for impeding traffic. Most drivers go 5 over. This guy is doing it to save gas.

Most states have a minimum and max speed limit. Around here in a 60mph zone the minimum is 45mph. Thats 15mph below the limit all that's asked is that you stay in the slow lane. I'm sure muddy bean isn't in the high speed lane doing 5 under and not sure how this relates to a projector retrofit thread.

Muddy bean is contributing to the forum in a positive way and not sure why you have an issue with him traveling 5 under. Why does it matter so much to you?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here in Quebec we have signs at every freeway entrance, 100 MAX 60 MIN. (~62 max, ~37 min mph)

Most people do 120 (~75mph) and the cops don't bat an eye but you can bet they'll stop you doing 59 when traffic is moving freely.

No state has a law on the books to my knowledge that has 5 under the speed limit as "impeding traffic." Utah specifically (and other states, now) has been ticketing people for doing the speed limit in the left lane. The left lane is not the "fast lane," but is for passing only. Camp in the left lane in Utah, you'll likely get a ticket.

CJ0920

Reaction score
I bought a used set of headlights couple years ago as spares to do a retrofit on and have yet to do it. I wish I can buy these from you! How do you go about aligning them up?

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I bought a used set of headlights couple years ago as spares to do a retrofit on and have yet to do it. I wish I can buy these from you! How do you go about aligning them up?
I align them typically using the original beam pattern that I mark on my basement wall. I light them up with the original bulb in the reflector. I screw some wood strips down to a table so when I put the reflector down in it, the reflector is held in the same position every time. Then I'll mod the projector into the reflector and using the nuts/bolts I'll align them with the original beam pattern. Cut the bolts, jb weld the nuts and bolts to the back of the reflector bucket to lock it into place permanently. Then once the reflector is mounted into the housing you can use the original height adjuster to set the correct beam height.

Really not too difficult but I was away on vacation last week so I haven't got much work done on them.

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score

In California, even when the speed limit is 70 on some of the rural freeways, many vehicles are limited to 55. For example any vehicle with 3 or more axles, or any vehicle towing a trailer. So not everybody is supposed to be doing 75 on a 70 mph freeway.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dorzak this isn’t directed at you or anyone specific for that matter (well maybe one person) but it’s a little inconsiderate of us to drift this thread so far off topic when it’s a headlight HID projector retrofit thread. Sorry Gixer. Not sure how it happened but here’s to hoping we get it back on the rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Dorzak this isn’t directed at you or anyone specific for that matter (well maybe one person) but it’s a little inconsiderate of us to drift this thread so far off topic when it’s a headlight HID projector retrofit thread. Sorry Gixer. Not sure how it happened but here’s to hoping we get it back on the rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No need for apologies! Ive been known to railroad a thread or 2 in the past but I appreciate your help trying to get it back in gear.

That being said I made a little more progress today. Projector mounts are JB'd into place and both are mounted temporarily for testing on the truck. Alignment was already checked but just double checking that nothing moved during the JB work(shrouds are still loose). Once I know they are 100% the rear of the projector will be JB'd into the reflector and reflector will be painted. Most retrofitters prefer painting after the projector is mounted to lower the chance of the paint getting damaged.

I'm waiting on more retro rubber, silica packets, thread in breathers and some cable glands (to pass solenoid wiring through the housing) So the earliest these will be sealed up is mid next week. Have a couple nice days here but no chance to paint yet.

20180228_170937.jpg

20180228_170853.jpg

OP
OP
gixer2000

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
What I was hoping to be my final test just opened up more work. Unfortunately while getting my JB weld setup I managed to clock my passenger side slightly. As you can see it comes up over the drivers cutoff so I gotta get that twisted correctly and try again. Also I'm pointing down hill here so the lights look way low. shrouds aren't installed yet so there's a little scatter above the cutoff

20180228_200728.jpg

20180228_200716.jpg

20180228_195317.jpg