Auto stop benefit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nobrainer

Reaction score
I added a 'favorite' to see status of the start/stop. my A.Stop/Start (hehe... ASS) seems to work when it wants to... I understand when it's heating up or when I have the windshield defroster going it stays on. but just the other day, the engine/trans was warm, normal auto-heat was on, status showed something like "normal operation" - but it still didn't stop the engine at the lights or whatever. drove around for about 45min and it only started doing it the last 5 min or so of my trip. Weird. Since that day it was fine, but it's done things like that a few times in the months I've had mine.

A few years ago, I saw a YouTube video where they tested how much, if any, fuel saving was gained by turning off your engine. Again this was a few years ago in my mindless meandering on the internet, but they said, on their test car which was a 4 cyl, they found something along the lines of if the engine is off more than 7 seconds there was a fuel savings. I would imagine that would would vary depending on the engine, but still.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added a 'favorite' to see status of the start/stop. my A.Stop/Start (hehe... ASS) seems to work when it wants to... I understand when it's heating up or when I have the windshield defroster going it stays on. but just the other day, the engine/trans was warm, normal auto-heat was on, status showed something like "normal operation" - but it still didn't stop the engine at the lights or whatever. drove around for about 45min and it only started doing it the last 5 min or so of my trip. Weird. Since that day it was fine, but it's done things like that a few times in the months I've had mine.

A few years ago, I saw a YouTube video where they tested how much, if any, fuel saving was gained by turning off your engine. Again this was a few years ago in my mindless meandering on the internet, but they said, on their test car which was a 4 cyl, they found something along the lines of if the engine is off more than 7 seconds there was a fuel savings. I would imagine that would would vary depending on the engine, but still.

The feature is not about saving us, the individual drivers, any gas or money. All the ASS naysayers on here are absolutely correct: an individual driver will not see any material savings over the life of the vehicle as a result of this system. But...if Ford sells a million vehicles a year (I’m making up a number, I have no idea how many they sell) then the aggregate effect of all those engines shutting off WILL have an appreciable effect on the overall fuel consumption of the fleet. Folks make the mistake of thinking that a system like this or a 1mpg increase is an effort to save each individual driver money...newsflash: it ain’t. It’s a fleet-wide, scaled effort.

And the incentives the manufacturers get from the EPA to include this system MUST be more lucrative than the cost to replace a few starters and batteries under warranty, otherwise Ford (and every other automaker on earth) wouldn’t include it. They know how math works and can figure that out.

So no, the system is of really no benefit to you other than the warm glow of knowing you’re part of a much larger effort to reduce fuel consumption and emissions...an effort that does work when you scale it up. And the systems are robust enough that Ford is not worried the cost of replacing starter motors is going to be significant enough to hit their bottom line.

(And I know someone(s) is going to say “I don’t want some lib tree huggin’ propaganda messin with me and my ride...‘Murcia!” And that’s fine. This is Murcia so you have the right to feel that way and say so. And to install your AutoStop Eliminator and be happy.)

Rezolution

Reaction score
It's obvious that the benefit is for Ford and not for the customer based on the simple fact that you can't turn it off and LEAVE it off. The fact that it turns on by default and can't be disabled by the customer should be enough to throw up the red flag.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's obvious that the benefit is for Ford and not for the customer based on the simple fact that you can't turn it off and LEAVE it off. The fact that it turns on by default and can't be disabled by the customer should be enough to throw up the red flag.
Or that people don't like it, regardless of and perceived benefits or drawbacks. People are illogical and blithely do things against their best interests. Rather than argue the point, car manufacturers put the button in.

But as already noted, the AS/S is a net benefit for Ford (and other manufacturers) because Government.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

So by that logic traction control throws up a red flag?

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its all a numbers game to meet the EPA numbers they need to meet. They could care less if it costs any one of us thousands of dollars over the lifespan of the vehicle, because that repair is from our wallets not theirs. Things typically don't fail early on during warranty periods and that's why they offer warranty periods.
If they can gain .1Mpg on anything, its huge, because then that frees them up from making a different vehicle more efficient. Its all about how they can gain the best EPA numbers the cheapest.

haviland

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have this system on my '17 Limited but I think it's a good idea.

To me it's all about emissions and the future of this here planet. I feel guilty enough driving this behemoth so if I could reduce emissions it's fine with me.

According to the articles posted by Cary Mccarr (post 3 15), the takeaway I had was any increased engine wear was negligible.

I think my grandkids and beyond are worth it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have this system on my '17 Limited but I think it's a good idea.

To me it's all about emissions and the future of this here planet. I feel guilty enough driving this behemoth so if I could reduce emissions it's fine with me.

According to the articles posted by Cary Mccarr (post 3 15), the takeaway I had was any increased engine wear was negligible.

I think my grandkids and beyond are worth it.

You should consider a Prius.......

mrmachinist

Reaction score
You should consider a Prius.......

Then you have all the pollution from making and disposing of batteries.

If you truly want to be eco friendly. Get a junker out of the junkyard and resurrect it and run that forever. Way less pollution than making a new car.....

Personally I don’t like the ASS feature. This is my first vehicle that has it. I think it’s a dumb idea with no real benefit.

I’ll be getting an eliminator in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: