Best lube, IMO for Power running boards is...............

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I’ve tried to put my powerboards into the deployed position in my menu yet they don’t stay deployed. I’ll put it in the menu and they will deploy, then I’ll start driving and they will retract. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's the way they are supposed to work. When you put it in drive and start moving they stow.

Running boards.JPG

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy (& anyone else that's interested)

If you lay next to your truck while mama or one of the kids sits in the drivers seat and opens/closes the door, you'll easily be able to see where the pivot points are and all are within arms reach without needing to fit under the truck. I fully appreciate the long step without them! When I picked up my truck from the shop, they were terrified that they somehow broke the board on the driver's side....once I climbed in and showed the shop owner that someone had used his head and had disengaged them so they wouldn't get damaged, he was super relieved....but I felt that long step in my left knee...the knee with 15 Scope jobs and 2 ACL's...yeah, it's a LONG step!!

The fitting of bushings and zerk fittings obviously would be a better "build" & Ford prob neglected to do so in the interests of cost.

To the user who found his chain lube had been washed away by a single rain is prob an example of improperly applying it to his chain. I've seen guys spraying it on the rollers which is a no-no.....spray a chain along each side while it it is moving, AFTER a ride when the chain is warm.....I toss my bikes up on their centerstands, engage 1st gear and slowly let it rotate while spraying.....a little messy but it only needs to be done every 200-400 miles for each bike....with 15 at last count, I use a lot of lube!

jeff

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The fitting of bushings and zerk fittings obviously would be a better "build" & Ford prob neglected to do so in the interests of cost.
jeff

LOL. Most people don't even wash their vehicles when they should. You think they are actually going to crawl underneath and grease up the running boards? I have a garage full of tools and I'm not sure if I even own a grease gun anymore.

BTW, these are designed and manufactured by AMP Research. They don't put zerks on any of their products and only recommend washing and if washing doesn't resolve then silicone spray. Take it up with Horst Leitner. Surely you know of him.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If they had grease fittings, I’d just have my lube guy take care of it when he changes the oil. With my preggers wife this winter, I’ll have to use them. And if I can’t keep them deployed I’ll just have to keep them clean and lubed. BTW, I was on the interstate and an expedition flew by me at hwy speed with his powerboards deployed. So I honestly thought I could do it. Maybe his are broken in the deployed position. I suppose I could deploy them and then pull the power plug on them. But I’m afraid I’ll hit something and tear them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy (& anyone else that's interested)

If you lay next to your truck while mama or one of the kids sits in the drivers seat and opens/closes the door, you'll easily be able to see where the pivot points are and all are within arms reach without needing to fit under the truck. I fully appreciate the long step without them! When I picked up my truck from the shop, they were terrified that they somehow broke the board on the driver's side....once I climbed in and showed the shop owner that someone had used his head and had disengaged them so they wouldn't get damaged, he was super relieved....but I felt that long step in my left knee...the knee with 15 Scope jobs and 2 ACL's...yeah, it's a LONG step!!

To the user who found his chain lube had been washed away by a single rain is prob an example of improperly applying it to his chain. I've seen guys spraying it on the rollers which is a no-no.....spray a chain along each side while it it is moving, AFTER a ride when the chain is warm.....I toss my bikes up on their centerstands, engage 1st gear and slowly let it rotate while spraying.....a little messy but it only needs to be done every 200-400 miles for each bike....with 15 at last count, I use a lot of lube!

jeff
I lubed it yesterday. I didn't have anyone home to help me so I just knelt down to see the pivots. After looking at the PDF of from the other Ford site I could see where all the pivots are located. The only thing I couldn't see was how the shaft moved. I'll have to do it again when my wife or the girls are around and not busy.

OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats Muddy on the upcoming miracle!!

I admit, I had to google Horst Leitner....I owned a bicycle to ride with my kids when they were young but haven't ridden for pleasure since I could kick a motorcycle over at 16 & ride our nations highways to ANYWHERE!!

jeff