Clunking in front end . Rattle on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EcoBoostJim

Reaction score
When I go over a speed bump slow coming down the other side of the speed bump it makes a clunk and when I start it up it rattles sometimes does anybody else have this problem 2018 4000 miles XLT 4 X4

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rattling at startup is probably the cam phasers. You will want to take it in to the dealer and have it checked.

The clunk is probably something loose, or worn in the front suspension. I have seen that noise on other vehicles be loose or warn parts on sway bar or loose shock/strut. Have you replaced the struts or put a lift on?

OP
OP
E

EcoBoostJim

Reaction score
The rattling at startup is probably the cam phasers. You will want to take it in to the dealer and have it checked.

The clunk is probably something loose, or worn in the front suspension. I have seen that noise on other vehicles be loose or warn parts on sway bar or loose shock/strut. Have you replaced the struts or put a lift on?
It's brand new. Lol I just wanted to have an idea to point the service tech's in the right direction.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's brand new. Lol I just wanted to have an idea to point the service tech's in the right direction.

I think this got mentioned on another thread, but....

All (a lot? most? some?) of these engines rattle a little bit on cold startup. The cam phaser issue is absolutely a real thing, but that rattle is MUCH more pronounced and lasts about a second. The "normal" rattle lasts for 20-30 seconds and then goes away. It is normal (even though it sounds awful), although I don't know what causes it. Mine does it every morning when I leave for work and every evening when I leave the office for home. Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side and goes away shortly. It first started happening about 1000 miles in and scared me to death because I assumed something was wrong. But I have asked different dealers about it multiple times, they all say it's typical and nothing to be concerned about.

Again, I am not saying you don't have a cam phaser issue, but given how new your vehicle is, I would think it's much more likely to be the "normal" rattle.

(I will now prepare myself for everyone to yell at me that it's not normal and its the cam phasers and my vehicle is broken and I shouldn't listen to the stealership service tech and etc etc etc).

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^ Ours sounds the same way on cold start...
In the video that @Julio Walker posted, it's that first second or two that indicates a cam phaser issue. The general light rattling thereafter is just the "normal" rattle. To put it a different way, you need to be concerned about the loud, harsh rattle in the first second or so, but not a general lighter rattle that lasts for 60ish seconds thereafter.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 5.4 3V has started getting a rattle on startup that sounds like this:

Very annoying. Usually a hydraulic tensioner issue for us, not sure on the EcoBoost. I’m ordering new Ford chains, guides, tensioners, camphasers, and oil pump to do the timing job which solves this issue for 3rd geners.

Last edited:

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The injectors on the expedition are pretty loud and can sound like a clicking or rattle. Not sure if that is what you are hearing, they may or may not be louder when cold but I wouldn't think the sound would totally go away either but might get quieter. I drive a jeep so I have all sorts of clicks and rattles and clunks, the mud tires drown it all out though.

The expedition is so quiet it is easy for light noises to sound like a big deal.

My buddies f150 has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now while they try to fix his camphaser issue...hoping my ecoboost fairs better.

Hectorsvt

Reaction score
Mine ended up being one of the rock shields that come on the fx4 package where loose