Do 22's suck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like the look of large wheels. I also have a dedicated set of 18 inch steelies for winter. The 22's are heavier (obv) than the 18s so fuel mileage takes a brief nose dive around town. On the highway its better.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've always felt 20" wheels are a nice middle ground as long as you're running like a 31"+ tall tire.

Saltwater Soul

Reaction score
I get out in the soft sand all the time and I hate how the 22's load up. My wheels are all out of balance until I can get to a water hose and wash all the sand out.

Jamaican Cruiser

Reaction score
I do mostly highway driving and I was fine with the 22's on my '19 Platinum until I drove my brother's that he went to 18's on. The difference was not subtle in terms of ride comfort and if you have the right tires the reduction in road noise. I am pretty much all on going to a smaller wheel, just have not decided if I am going all the way to 18s, or to 20s. This is a no-brainer.

CecilTheMagician

Reaction score
There are lots of options for 22" A/T tires. 285/45R22 is the stock size. Firestone Destination AT2 is a good one. So are the Continental Terrain Contact AT's.
I had the Terrain Contacts on my Yukon in 285/45r22 and loved them

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the Terrain Contacts on my Yukon in 285/45r22 and loved them

I want to get the Conti's right now for our 21 but the wife is saying to wait till the factory Pirelli's wear out. I think she'll change her mind this winter..

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get a set of Ford Raptor wheels for about $400 (+/-) to use as your off-road wheels. Many of them look pretty good too.
I have stock 20's and Raptor 17's for off-roading after I cracked a set of aftermarket 20's while stupidly off-roading with them. :(

Augster

Reaction score
I didn't have problems running 22's in the middle of winter and slick roads (other than slipping that all non-chained/non-snow tires suffered from), and the corrosion of the aluminum valve stem caps that stuck them onto the valve stems that they stems had to be destroyed to remove it all...

Attachments

• IMG_0831.JPG.jpeg
    IMG_0831.JPG.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 13

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 22's are good for highway driving and cornering. They're not good over rough roads or off roading with the CCD suspension. I'll probably get some 18's if I decide to keep the truck for a few more years. If I never went off roading or lived somewhere with good roads I would stick with the 22's. Hellwig sway bars will help out a lot regardless of the wheel and tire combination.