Expedition Max vs standard size

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I am kind or late to the thread. I have a 2001 XLT. What year did the "shorties" appear? Are they shorter than my 2001?
The "shorty" was first introduced in 1997 (standard length) ... first year of Expy.
The EL (extended length, 15 inches longer) was introduced in 2007. Later called MAX

Alwaysthinkin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Enjoying this thread. I'm really happy that I purchased a Max. I'm even happier it has the 360 camera view going for it. That has been such a wonderful feature that eliminates the first few months of jumping out to see how far I am from whatever. Eliminates leaving the rear end out in the path of others in the parking lot and so on. I'd say, if you are on the fence on which to buy, and it will fit in the garage, then go for the Max if possible.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t understand why they don’t just sell the Max and the Max alone. To me the shorty is pointless. With the 3rd row in use on a shorty there is no space for…anything. Just get a 3 row crossover. We have 2 kids and 2 dogs. No way would I ever want anything but the Max. In fact I wish they made it even bigger. I could have
Enjoying this thread. I'm really happy that I purchased a Max. I'm even happier it has the 360 camera view going for it. That has been such a wonderful feature that eliminates the first few months of jumping out to see how far I am from whatever. Eliminates leaving the rear end out in the path of others in the parking lot and so on. I'd say, if you are on the fence on which to buy, and it will fit in the garage, then go for the Max if possible.

I always told myself, why on earth would someone get a Tahoe or short Expeditiin, then a few years later I did that! Hah. No regrets going short for now with the option to upgrade as we have never once needed more room, yet!

360 camera a must IMO. And yea I’d love the max for more room pending garage for which would be tight.

My wife tried to tell me I’m parking my car outside from now on to make room for more kids “junk” but I told her not a chance, she can park her leased XC90 out there if that’s what she decides but my “shorty” is not ever going to be parked outside.

I guess I have to move to a house with a bigger garage to get in the Max bandwagon eh?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to think the long ones looked weird before I owned an EL, now the shortues look weird. It’s just whatever you look at everyday looks normal.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes but at the expense of towing stability (wheelbase) and range (fuel capacity). May have been tongue in cheek so YMMV.