General Grabber tires on brand new 22 Expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LIVIO

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Expedition Limited 304A with the original equipment General Grabber HTS 60 tires (285/45R22). I've had absolutely no issues with them at all and they've actually impressed me. The only issue is that they will be worn out before I reach 30,000 kms maximum on them. I will be replacing them before Winter of 2024 with the Continental TerrainContact H/T. I hope this helps others as I'm a tire guy and have researched all the options for a replacement tire.

Last edited:

khammer

Reaction score
I actually just mounted the General Grabber HTS 60 tires (285/45R22) this week on my 18.

I am a third generation customer at a 3rd generation tire shop here in town, and these were the tires he felt good about. I personally would trust any advice or input he recommends when it comes to tire options. It basically comes down to if he would use them on his car, I am fine with it too. We were originally looking for the Nitto Crosstek2 but they were tough to find without expensive freight cost so the Generals were the next option reasonably priced. Sure, he could sell me a $300-350 Mich or other highly regarded brand if he wanted to (and if he said I needed it I would happily purchase). I respect him that he is fine selling me the most expensive tire he has. I have over 110K on my exp so who knows if I will even be driving it still in 70k miles.

I like the HTS60 so far the couple days I have had them. They are good looking tires. TBD on how they hold up and do over the long haul. They are a huge improvement over the Goodyear Eagle Touring that came on it when we purchased it used.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I got my 19 Stealth in November, it had the 22's, I immediately swapped them for some "take off" 18's from a F150. I've been in Mexico since January, all over for 8000+ miles of the worst roads, and have been super happy. The 18's came with new Goodyear Wrangler AT OEM tires, I'll be replacing them with BFG ko2 as soon as they are half worn.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a Michelin guy because of the ride and longevity. The best tire I found for my Platinum is the Michelin Defender LTX/MS. The ride is really smooth for a 22" tire and the mileage range at 70,000 miles is great. I've tried many other brands on my Excursions, Expeditions and Explorers and the ride is always better using Michelin tires.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm a Michelin guy because of the ride and longevity. The best tire I found for my Platinum is the Michelin Defender LTX/MS. The ride is really smooth for a 22" tire and the mileage range at 70,000 miles is great. I've tried many other brands on my Excursions, Expeditions and Explorers and the ride is always better using Michelin tires.

I'm on my 2nd set w/ my EL and have been happy w/ them. I ran through 2 sets of Pirelli Scorpions before this for a total of < 60k - less than I got out of 1 set of the Michelins. The Pirellis were better in the snow, but that's the only thing they had going for them. If I make it to another set of tires on this truck, it will be the Michelins again.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't forget, every tire is a compromise. If you get longer life, you're giving up something else, like traction. A longer wearing compound just isn't going to grip like something softer. Figure out what works best for your specific use case.

zeecarr

Reaction score
I have always liked Michelin for highway use and have used Goodrich All Terrain TA on 4x4 that were going to do a lot of off road. No complains there but I have been won over by Pirelli Scorpions for big SUVs. I have a set right now on my beater car (2004 Yukon Denali) and they have 50,000 miles on them. They still ride smooth as silk, track great, dead silent and they have worn perfectly evenly. I've only rotated them twice in that time. When the time comes to replace the factory tires on my 2023 Expedition, Pirelli will be a the top of my shopping list.

Samantha1

Reaction score
My Expedition came with Toyo Open Country H/T 20" tires - I don't see many members saying theirs came with these, are they an oddball tire for Ford to use?
Samantha

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As has been concluded by many on here including myself, the General Grabbers are total garbage and Ford should be ashamed for taking a flagship vehicle with this price tag and ruining the way it rides by trying to save a few dollars and putting on cheap tires. Next trade I will insist that Michelins be put on at the dealer and worked in to the deal, I will not accept delivery with these tires.
Last time I traded an Expedition, I had the dealer swap crappy Hankook tires on the new vehicle for the Michelins on my trade in. They were happy to do it as they could then sell my trade in with brand new tires, which they obviously did not recognize as low quality.