Oil catch can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They think thats what it is, throttle body, causing my wrench light but until it happens and they can capture a code they say the extended warranty will not pay for it. Of course it didn't store any code. I'm going to carry my scanner with so if it does happen again I can plug it in and capture the code and take a pic of it for them.

I didn't hear from shop today but last I knew they had not found the source of gas going in oil. It was noticeable on my last oil change. I drained about a half to 3/4 of a quart extra oil with a strong gas smell. Hope they find something.
Yeah gas in oil is never good. My dads old 77 F250 with a 351M had a mechanical fuel pump diaphragm leak into crankcase and it blew one of the valve covers off the engine because it had so much gas in oil and something ignited it. Those Cleveland heads on those Modifieds had 8 valve cover bolts also, they where still in the head.The Bolts ripped right through the sheet metal cover and it hit the hood. Needless to say I dropped a reman engine in at 70,000 mi because of wiped bearings from thin oil. Hope you get things resolved.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, that helps a lot, I appreciate it!! What does this sensor actually sense?
I am debating on the RXp or the UPR. I like that the UPR uses the Drivers side valve cover nipple instead of the oir filler but I have seen some posts with problems with UPR setting off the CEL though and it also is using 2 seperate cans, one for dirty side and one for clean side.
It’s called a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) it senses manifold pressures. These engines have quite a few of these sensors in different configurations and locations.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s called a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) it senses manifold pressures. These engines have quite a few of these sensors in different configurations and locations.
Ok I have an update on this sensor, it’s actually called a crankcase pressure sensor and I found this out when I got a CEL code PO51B after about 800 miles. When I pulled the hose off the sensor it had oil in the sensor hose. So I cleaned the hose and the sensor and reinstalled it with sensor hose routed up and over firewall to keep residual oil left in dirty side hose from draining back to sensor when engine is shut off. Had old ford tech buddy erase codes and so far so good... no more CEL in after about 300 miles or so. My cousins F150 hasn’t thrown a CEL in about 1,200 mi we think because his sensor has always been uphill from where we tee’d into the dirty hose because of the Different can location. Here is a new pic of the sensor hose rerouting .D69882AB-B6ED-4DE9-AF72-72781EB18B9E.jpeg

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update on hose rerouting ... so far so good and no more CEL . I’ve put about 1200 mi. on since rerouting crank pressure sensor hose so that seemed to be the problem. Here’s a pic of all can accumulation since install 2000 miles ago A769E934-CF7C-4D8F-B7AE-C5EF53FF752C.jpeg

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another update on total accumulation after 6,000 mi. after installation . I’m gathering about an ounce every 1,200 mi. and still no more CEL since the hose rerouting.6648232E-F744-4E06-B47B-E2400A479F8B.jpeg

Wody B

Reaction score
Hello to all from Orlando Florida.
I want to thank you all for this valuable info that you are sharing on this forum.
I have 2017 Expedition EL that I bought used from dealership. It had 60K miles on it.
I will be ordering a Catch Can today and will Post pix when I install it.
My question is : I am sure that after 60 K miles there is some carbon build up. How do I clean that?
Shall I just clean the sensors and leave the valves alone or shall I get the spray that cleans?
I hear that spray is not that good because it will burn and the flames and heat will travel down to the Turbos and damage them.
Thank you in advance for any input.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello to all from Orlando Florida.
I want to thank you all for this valuable info that you are sharing on this forum.
I have 2017 Expedition EL that I bought used from dealership. It had 60K miles on it.
I will be ordering a Catch Can today and will Post pix when I install it.
My question is : I am sure that after 60 K miles there is some carbon build up. How do I clean that?
Shall I just clean the sensors and leave the valves alone or shall I get the spray that cleans?
I hear that spray is not that good because it will burn and the flames and heat will travel down to the Turbos and damage them.
Thank you in advance for any input.
Clean the three sensors during your can install. As for the carbon build up, I run mine to 100+mph every so often to take care of that lol

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Some photos in this thread show hoses that are not on my '17 Expedition. Find the much newer thread on the literal plug-n-play JLT catch can.

The hardest part of the JLT install is getting the modesty cover back on the engine. The catch can mounts on an existing bolt on the firewall and the OE hoses snap off and the new hoses snap on. Mine picked up over half a can every month last winter. Barely a trace now that the weather is warmer. (Can only holds 3 ounces).

-- Chuck

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some photos in this thread show hoses that are not on my '17 Expedition. Find the much newer thread on the literal plug-n-play JLT catch can.

The hardest part of the JLT install is getting the modesty cover back on the engine. The catch can mounts on an existing bolt on the firewall and the OE hoses snap off and the new hoses snap on. Mine picked up over half a can every month last winter. Barely a trace now that the weather is warmer. (Can only holds 3 ounces).

-- Chuck
Anything other than jlt and you have to drill holes and add hoses for other catch cans

Wody B

Reaction score
Hello and thank you 16plati for the quick reply. I ended up ordering this>>>>
RX DUAL VALVE CATCH CAN FORD EXPEDITION 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 3.5 ECOBOOST
from Teamrxp.com.
its been over 15 days and did not receive it yet. Now I am planning to change all the shift diff fluids front and back. Any recommendations on where to get the fluids and what type?
thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986