Replacement brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I never had drilled or slotted rotors but I can't see why they do anything when there is less surface area on them to grab. Maybe the edges of the hole or slots "dig in" but why not just sandblast them? If that's the case it's just a tradeoff for eating away at the pads and wearing out sooner. It sounds like another another aftermarket gimmick to me to get your money. I will surely never buy them.
Also; I guess Yupster is right about the softest pads, I forgot about those "organic" pads where they throw a bunch of binders together and call them econo pads. As for more dust from semi-metallic; I used them for 8 years on my last truck and never saw any brake dust but I'm not a heavy continuous braker and only tow my snowmobile.

Last edited:

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually the cheapest no matter what brand you buy is the softest pad.
Organic brake pads (also known as NAO, or “non-asbestos organic”) are composed of various materials—like glass, fiber, rubber, carbon and Kevlar—mixed with binding resins that hold them together.

Semi-metallic adds a percentage of metal into that mix.

I'm guessing ceramic is self explanatory

The harder the pad the more heat generated when you apply the brakes. That is why if you drive hard on the gas hard on the brake the softest pad will generate the least heat. But it will need to be changed more often and it will create the most brake dust on wheels.

There is rotors with slots or holes in them some come in kits with the pads.(I have never used) But that is NOT A UPGRADE you will have the same as stock equipment stopping power it just helps disburse the heat better.

Please educaute me more about why you think you need upgraded brakes?
I bought my 2017 Expi new and have 38,000mi on it now. The brakes just don't feel like they have the same stopping power as when they were newer. Maybe upgrading was the wrong term to use. I don't mind changing pads more frequently so I'll check out the organic and metallic pads. Besides the pads I'm about due for new tires so I hope to see a noticeable difference when they both get done.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought my 2017 Expi new and have 38,000mi on it now. The brakes just don't feel like they have the same stopping power as when they were newer. Maybe upgrading was the wrong term to use. I don't mind changing pads more frequently so I'll check out the organic and metallic pads. Besides the pads I'm about due for new tires so I hope to see a noticeable difference when they both get done.
Are you having problems like This member? Check out this thread.

https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...otors-brake-pedal-sinking-to-floor-now.44648/

OGBobbyJohnson

Reaction score
I have the powerstop and drilled and slotted on the front on my 17 EL. I put them on at 59k when i bought the truck and now at 120k. The drilled and slotted help cool faster so the rotor doesnt warp and have a shutter. Key is if you hard stop, dont stay hard on the brake. slight roll a little so as to not create a hotspot in one place. I had put a set on my 04 and got almost 70k out of them before i sold the truck. I jackrabbit start and hard stop quite a bit. My rear need to be replaced now that i have been towing my RV for the last year and those will be upgraded as well. Ceramic all the way.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the powerstop and drilled and slotted on the front on my 17 EL. I put them on at 59k when i bought the truck and now at 120k. The drilled and slotted help cool faster so the rotor doesnt warp and have a shutter. Key is if you hard stop, dont stay hard on the brake. slight roll a little so as to not create a hotspot in one place. I had put a set on my 04 and got almost 70k out of them before i sold the truck. I jackrabbit start and hard stop quite a bit. My rear need to be replaced now that i have been towing my RV for the last year and those will be upgraded as well. Ceramic all the way.
Why don't you just get metallic with stock rotors so you don't have to worry about all that warping, shuttering, cooling, rolling a bit, etc etc ., plus it would stop better.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Key is if you hard stop, dont stay hard on the brake. slight roll a little so as to not create a hotspot in one place.
That is good advice no matter what brakes you have. Even if you hard stop to a complete stop let off brakes and roll a little.

Kind of like 2020 we came to a complete stop and we need to roll a little before hitting the gas again.