This forum is talking me out of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhExped

Reaction score
There's a pretty popular car mechanic on Youtube "Scotty Kilmer" who has a video where he voices several concerns over the EcoBoost engine. Comes across as some scary stuff.

That said, I've had my Ford Flex w/ EcoBoost engine since around '09. Low miles (only around 75k, I think). Can't say I've had to do anything aside from routine maintenance to the engine proper.

So, maybe his concerns are ill-founded?

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first generation EBoosts can have buildup issues due to only having direct injection. That is where a catch can can really come in handy. These gen2 Eboosts have both intake and direct injection so the fuel coming through the intake will keep that clean. An engine designed for boost can be just as reliable as NA. How many 500kmi Mercedes 300D TDiesels do you think are out there? My 95 Volvo T5 was completely reliable for 143k before I sold it. Was also a bonus that I could embarrass any GT or Z28 with ease. The reason Ford bought Volvo is they wanted their engine designers to help them build the ecoboosts. Once you get used to the torque shove of turbos, its hard to go back...

The Raptor/Navi EBoosts have had valve/top end issues but hopefully that has been resolved...

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited Expedition Max 4x4 with 27,000 miles. We just got it back from having the cam phaser and suspension issue fixed. There have been a couple other smaller, easily correctable issues as well. That being said, I would buy it again. I have had Armadas and Tahoe's as rentals and they were terrible. No comparison at all to the Expedition. The whole family agrees!

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a pretty popular car mechanic on Youtube "Scotty Kilmer" who has a video where he voices several concerns over the EcoBoost engine. Comes across as some scary stuff.

That said, I've had my Ford Flex w/ EcoBoost engine since around '09. Low miles (only around 75k, I think). Can't say I've had to do anything aside from routine maintenance to the engine proper.

So, maybe his concerns are ill-founded?

Scotty seems to hate everything, IMO. :)

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
Good place to vent my frustrations. 2018 CPO Expedition with 61K (we bought with 39K):
1. Side mirrors are possessed, and the driver's side broke outright.
2. Lug nuts swelled. Really??? Even the lugs are bad?
3. Driver's side hub malfunctioned. Not covered under the CPO power train warranty, even though "hubs" are covered :(
4. Two shocks leaking and need replaced.
5. Rear brake pads worn.

I get that forums are a place where people complain. But a lot of folks are having troubles with even the simple things even on very new vehicles. I guess I'll just get used to working on this in my garage so it doesn't drain my bank account.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good place to vent my frustrations. 2018 CPO Expedition with 61K (we bought with 39K):
1. Side mirrors are possessed, and the driver's side broke outright.
2. Lug nuts swelled. Really??? Even the lugs are bad?
3. Driver's side hub malfunctioned. Not covered under the CPO power train warranty, even though "hubs" are covered :(
4. Two shocks leaking and need replaced.
5. Rear brake pads worn.

I get that forums are a place where people complain. But a lot of folks are having troubles with even the simple things even on very new vehicles. I guess I'll just get used to working on this in my garage so it doesn't drain my bank account.
1. There is a TSB on this and it is an easy software fix. Although I am sorry one broke, likely from the repeated bumping against its stop before being fixed.

2. There is a thread on here about this as well (https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/stupid-ford-lugnuts.42818/). I have driven Fords for about 300k miles now and have never experienced a problem, but some obviously have.

3. There is a TSB on this as well and I am one of the ones that suffered the issue. I am surprised it's not covered by warranty, but the fix is the replacement of a cheap $50 check valve. https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...wheel-during-after-turning.37417/#post-322325

4. Apparently the shocks on the non-CCD models are a nightmare and I am sorry you have that problem.

5. Is 61k not a pretty good run for brake pads? I have always used 40k-50k as a rule of thumb for those, but maybe I have previously been misled by hacks at Just Brakes.

Obviously everyone wants vehicle ownership to be flawless, but other than the terrible shocks, these all seem like they can be remedied fairly easily. I am really sorry you're having a lot of the problems we have identified all on one vehicle.

fatgroundhog

Reaction score
1. There is a TSB on this and it is an easy software fix. Although I am sorry one broke, likely from the repeated bumping against its stop before being fixed.

2. There is a thread on here about this as well (https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/stupid-ford-lugnuts.42818/). I have driven Fords for about 300k miles now and have never experienced a problem, but some obviously have.

3. There is a TSB on this as well and I am one of the ones that suffered the issue. I am surprised it's not covered by warranty, but the fix is the replacement of a cheap $50 check valve. https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...wheel-during-after-turning.37417/#post-322325

4. Apparently the shocks on the non-CCD models are a nightmare and I am sorry you have that problem.

5. Is 61k not a pretty good run for brake pads? I have always used 40k-50k as a rule of thumb for those, but maybe I have previously been misled by hacks at Just Brakes.

Obviously everyone wants vehicle ownership to be flawless, but other than the terrible shocks, these all seem like they can be remedied fairly easily. I am really sorry you're having a lot of the problems we have identified all on one vehicle.

I'm tracking on the TSBs, but thanks for the info. Agree the mirror popped for a while, which resulted in the break--sadly most of it happened before we bought the truck CPO. The hub is a $600 fix from Ford...I think it was chewed up from being engaged (I figured the CPO powertrain warranty mention of "hubs" meant it would be covered, but it's not somehow); if it wasn't our daily family hauler, I'd have fixed it myself. Yeah, and the pads complaint was just me whining...though I've not seen that rears wear out that quickly, though I'm not used to bigger vehicles.

That said, Hondas, Subarus, GMCs, VWs...and never has a vehicle with 61K miles had anywhere near this many issues, big or small. If my family could fit into something smaller (and Japanese made), I'd jump on it (assuming momma could part with the Ford she loves so much...when it's working). Maybe I'm just frustrated and feeling sorry for myself though :(

Edit: update--my wife managed to convince the dealership that the hub and IWE issue was covered under the CPO warranty, so we're only out $100. It's amazing how now I'm back to really enjoying the truck, even with the to-do list of brakes and shocks in the near term.

Last edited:

JP Dye

Reaction score
Any details you would like to share? And what you have had to pay for out-of-pocket that wasn't covered by warranty?

(If you have shared this info elsewhere and I have missed it, I apologize)

Sorry for my late response. I want say again I am a 4h gen ford person learned to drive in a 1964 F100 with 3 on the tree and have owned and driven only expeditions since 1999 logging opver 600k miles with 317K on the 2008 I replaced with this 2018 Limited. I do not care to start a war. Everyone is entitle to their opinion. But here is what I have experienced.

First, since the car is under warranty I have had no expenses. I did not mean to insinuate that I have spent money to this point. But the dealership has given me the standard response, cannot duplicate customer complaint. So they are not fixing it. The problem that I fear will be the most expensive will be the drive train.
I have 28k miles in 11 months. In the last 2000 miles the engine has started behaving more strange than normal. BIG lag time (WAY MORE THAN USUAL) when pulling out in traffic. The transmission that is normally poor has gotten much worse. It has started clunking really loud when putting in gear or taking off from a stop. And it cannot decide what gear to go into. The lag could be the transmission or the engine. It feels like it's starving for fuel. These are the things I cannot imagine being able to afford if I cannot get Ford to do something about it before the warranty runs out.

Now why I hate the vehicle and why is is the worst car I have ever owned are a different set of problems. And I will not blather one because this could go on without end. The over all design and execution is so poor I cannot believe this what you get for nearly $70,000. Here are a few of my biggest complaints in no certain order:

When driving in he wind at highway speeds is like trying to run across a high wire. it is exhausting. Also and I have read about this problem from others, the lateral movement is excessive and very odd. It feels like there is to much weight on the roof of the car. Like you are hauling something large, tall and heavy on the roof rack. I tell people i feel like a muppet bobbing back and forth.

The traction control does not operate they way I believe it should. It works when you are going under say 5 mph. But if not careful, with as peaky as the power is with the turbos if you give it too much gas on a wet highway the tire will break loose at 55 MPH! It will scare the S*&t out of you if not expecting it.
A 5000lb SUV should really never be able to break the tires loose in the rain at highway speeds.

The electric steering is numb and will not track. This was my first complaint. I took it back to the dealer and they said that is normal. I said it does not track at all
and they said nope they don't. And the fly by wire, electric gas pedal whatever you want to call it, is horrible.

The side mirrors will retract while driving (both hands on the wheel) So no I didn't hit the button by accident. The mirrors will not go back to running position
by pushing the bottom on the door. I have to stop the car get out lock it and unlock and the mirrors went back.

The rear hatch will close on you! I have resisted with my arm and it keeps closing. There is no safety feature to keep it from squashing you or your kids?

This is a new one, the running boards don't always open/unfold when you open the door. It was dark out and I didn't notice the first time and fell into the car and bashed my leg nicely.

Easy entry works some of the time when it doesn't work it retracts the steering wheel and put your seat as far back as it will go. You must reset the seat and steering wheel position.

The E Brake operates when it wants to. It sets itself but you cannot unset it without putting it in gear and giving it gas. (I have never driven with 2 feet but with this car you learn you need to)

Many times the light on the shift knob will just blink when you try to put it in gear. It flashes and the dash read out say no key detected. The car is running and the key is present.

Very newest issue. When trying to put the drivers window up it reverses when you reached the top of its travel and goes back down. Stop the car turned it off locked, unlocked an restarted and the problem went away, for now.

All safety feature are rudimentary compared to other manufactures. Lane keeping, brake assist etc. are useless and do not function well enough to be helpful.

I could go on but I won't.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hahahaa, I would think being able to break the tires free at 55 on a 5K+ SUV is a selling point. With 28k on the tires and poor tracking what’s the tread like. Mine tracks really good for an IRS and I love the light wheel that Ford uses. Get out of my Superduty and into a Ram and it feels like there is no power steering at all. I’m with you on the 10 speed. I don’t think it is everything it was supposed to be. Even the HD trucks are getting complaints about it. I feel for anyone that’s not happy with a new ride, no matter the brand. I hope they figure it out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Traditional

Reaction score
Had a 14 Ram Pickup and a 16 Ram Pickup And Dodge Journey had a ton of issues. Purchased Explorer as my 2nd vehicle and it was flawless . Sold the 16 Ram and Explorer for 18 Expy Platinum at best vehicle ever owned. Have 32000 miles on it.