This forum is talking me out of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agree with above but the Armada and Sequoia as with the current GMs is that they are all a generation (or two) behind. Ford is losing money because the entire industry is slowing (more reliable cars in general and a slowing economy for a majority of Americans). They also gave up on all their car sales due to them being stale compared to their competitors... These trucks are their bread and butter. Previous experience holds 0 bearing on an entirely new platform. Dealer experience however is a major factor. Its honestly more important than the vehicle itself. A buddy of mine bought the new RDX and had issues buying the thing. Now he is stuck with a horrid service department and is regretting the decision. Either way, good luck on your new purchase!

Sad but true. I have learned (over the course of many years and many vehicles) that dealerships are only good for covered warranty work. For everything else, either do it yourself or take it to a reputable local shop. Lincoln charged me $130 to plug a flat tire on a recent visit, while previously rotated and mounted a set of 4 tires for $90. I walked out of there fuming. Few days later the "manager" called me and said they'll make it right. Never got a refund on my credit card.

The funny thing is, if you go on Lincoln/Ford website and look at individual dealership, they are all (and I mean ALL) getting 4.5 star ratings and above. Strangely, Yelp and Google Maps reviews are just the opposite. Kind of makes you wonder who writes them.

Dealer model only exists for service purposes. If it wasn't a state law in many parts of the country, manufacturers would happily let you order online and ship direct like Carvana, etc. Dealing with ****** middlemen is an antiquated process.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sad but true. I have learned (over the course of many years and many vehicles) that dealerships are only good for covered warranty work. For everything else, either do it yourself or take it to a reputable local shop. Lincoln charged me $130 to plug a flat tire on a recent visit, while previously rotated and mounted a set of 4 tires for $90. I walked out of there fuming. Few days later the "manager" called me and said they'll make it right. Never got a refund on my credit card.

The funny thing is, if you go on Lincoln/Ford website and look at individual dealership, they are all (and I mean ALL) getting 4.5 star ratings and above. Strangely, Yelp and Google Maps reviews are just the opposite. Kind of makes you wonder who writes them.

Dealer model only exists for service purposes. If it wasn't a state law in many parts of the country, manufacturers would happily let you order online and ship direct like Carvana, etc. Dealing with ****** middlemen is an antiquated process.

Yup, its all brands... luxury or not. I have had the best overall luck with Infiniti but I know they are really hurting at the moment so no idea how long that will last. I used to drive over an hour each way to have my R32 serviced. Totally worth it, I went from being belittled for asking a question the service manager clearly didn't know the answer to, to "I can't wait to see a turbo on one of these things". I got spoiled with the local commercial ford truck shop connected to a Ford dealership. It has closed recently so I'm rolling the dice a bit with the Nav, but the dealer that I'm buying from has the most volume in the area so hopefully that will translate to good service. I briefly talked to the Lincoln "service manager" but he seemed a bit more of a buddy of the owner than actual service manager. The dealership has only been open two weeks so we shal see... Next time I'm in I'm going to try and find some techs...

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, its all brands... luxury or not. I have had the best overall luck with Infiniti but I know they are really hurting at the moment so no idea how long that will last. I used to drive over an hour each way to have my R32 serviced. Totally worth it, I went from being belittled for asking a question the service manager clearly didn't know the answer to, to "I can't wait to see a turbo on one of these things". I got spoiled with the local commercial ford truck shop connected to a Ford dealership. It has closed recently so I'm rolling the dice a bit with the Nav, but the dealer that I'm buying from has the most volume in the area so hopefully that will translate to good service. I briefly talked to the Lincoln "service manager" but he seemed a bit more of a buddy of the owner than actual service manager. The dealership has only been open two weeks so we shal see... Next time I'm in I'm going to try and find some techs...

Funny you should mention that. My local VW shop would quote me $400 for an oil change because my Jetta had a 5 cylinder engine (whereas an oil change for a 4 cylinder was $80- synthetic). The manager then stepped in (to close the deal) to inform me that it’s a “sealed unit” (whatever that meant). I told her the oil capacity is the same 6 quarts for 4 and 5 cylinder engines. She reiterated “yeah but 5 is a sealed unit, takes a lot more time”. I just said “I think I’ll go elsewhere”. After that they informed me of $100 fee to check out a vehicle without performing any work.

Honestly, the fact that most people who know nothing about cars get taken to the cleaners by these guys thinking they get quality dealer service because of leather couches, free WiFi and some cheap donuts is plain old thievery.

Its not called an R32 but simply a Golf R now. I own a 2017 model with Stage 2 mods. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Can’t ask for a more fun car to drive for the price. It I do all the work myself. VW warranty went out the window the moment I flashed the ECU.

9275A378-DD85-4275-84BA-32C6D764E8B6.jpeg

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am planning on replacing my 2008 Expedition (35K miles) with a Toyota Highlander or a Honda Pilot. ABS just went out going down the road. little to no brakes. We put in dual master cylinders in the late 60s to avoid this. Now Ford, the EPA, and the Gov have brought back total brake failure. For 67 yrs I have driven only Fords. Not anymore. I saw that Ford lost $1.7B last quarter. Decline in reliability, escalation in cost, and not giving the customers what they want (normally aspirated 5L Expedition). Whats wrong with these people.
Yeah Toyota V8 4runners run the same odd ball ABS system the SLK500 has both are well known for “surprise you have no brakes!” Moments. $3600-$4000 fix in the Yota.

AKentPhoto

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, the fact that most people who know nothing about cars get taken to the cleaners by these guys thinking they get quality dealer service because of leather couches, free WiFi and some cheap donuts is plain old thievery.

Its not called an R32 but simply a Golf R now. I own a 2017 model with Stage 2 mods. 0-60 in 3.6 seconds. Can’t ask for a more fun car to drive for the price. It I do all the work myself. VW warranty went out the window the moment I flashed the ECU.

Its so pathetic to see someone do the "never back down" shtick even when faced with facts. :deal:

Quite a build you have there, these 2.0Ts are quite something. I currently I'm sitting with all the bolt-ons on the intake side waiting to burn up at least 3/4 of the warranty before I tune it. Glad I waited on the tune because the wife will be DDing it when the Navi arrives. When she graduates from med school she will be getting something else and I'm thinking the AR will become the weekend car and go crazy on it. :cheers: Hopefully some bigger turbos will be ready by then. APR is saying STG2 isn't worth a seperate tune on the B9s...

20190805_070658-01-X4.jpg

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Happy Camper here... [emoji41] 0bc271f00f27fed1d894ff8f628db75f.jpg

Nice set up byathread. I have a 27RBDS Winnie that I tow with my 2010 EB Expy. How's your Expy handling the payload/tow? I'm at my Expy's payload limit or over quite often unfortunately. I have been eyeing the new generation Expys as an upgrade soon. Any idea what your payload capacity sticker says?

What kind of WDH you using? I use an Equalizer WDH set up and it took a good year to finally get it dialed in to where I don't have white knuckle adventures on trips. Now it's pretty planted when driving, but I did have to apply an aggressive WDH setup.

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice set up byathread. I have a 27RBDS Winnie that I tow with my 2010 EB Expy. How's your Expy handling the payload/tow? I'm at my Expy's payload limit or over quite often unfortunately. I have been eyeing the new generation Expys as an upgrade soon. Any idea what your payload capacity sticker says?

What kind of WDH you using? I use an Equalizer WDH set up and it took a good year to finally get it dialed in to where I don't have white knuckle adventures on trips. Now it's pretty planted when driving, but I did have to apply an aggressive WDH setup.

Attached are my stickers...

Honestly, this thing pulls great and damn well should considering the price/advertised capability.

I don't travel with over a half tank of water ever and usually empty, just fill/hook up when I get there.

WDH is a Blue Ox sway pro w/1000# bars and about 2500 miles pulling with white lighting here so far.

The squat is definitely there, but tolerable. I was going to go up a notch on my receiver next chance I have to see if it helps that at all... So, I still think I can tune it in a bit better yet. I'm all ears for leveling options. Miss those ride rites on my old truck!

Used to pull this with a 2005 Tacoma with 5100s all around and ride rites, so, no squat. I drove by myself with wife/kids following in the minivan and it handled it fine, albeit at limits (my wife's nerves and the truck's ratings! [emoji1])

No white knuckles/ass puckering yet, but I'm a few feet shorter/lighter than your rig. x2 3500# axles on the 2455BHS. Max speed in ideal conditions is like 70-72, usually slower. 8.7 mpg average from Bucks County to Erie, 9.3 mpg average back - about what I expected. Boost boost boost boost!!! [emoji12][emoji23]

I was going to grab an old excursion, but, wanted "all the new shit"... So, got this instead.

Like I said before, happy camper! [emoji2]01d5bcdd159bb7b69d79babc13bb8cc7.jpg3f60c4ea90e1a40627888b2dd45464a0.jpg

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[...] Max speed in ideal conditions is like 70-72, usually slower. 8.7 mpg average from Bucks County to Erie, 9.3 mpg average back - about what I expected. [...]

Where do you guys camp in Erie? That is where I grew up. :)

sonofagun

Reaction score
More I read about trans issues, shocks, cam phasers, and the dvd being subpar, it just makes me not want to drop the coin on this. I already have a junky van people swore was good.

I don’t even know what I want now. GM stuff isn’t known for reliability and I’ve watched family get burned by them. The Toyota offering is outdated and doesn’t seem to have the space in back I want.
Just a frustrating situation.
I've had a '99, '09 and now drive the '09 and a '17 Expy and have never experienced any of these issues

byathread

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where do you guys camp in Erie? That is where I grew up. :)
Whereabouts? My cousins live in mill creek and further west. Some family still up there, my mom grew up in Erie. We go to Sara's on Presque Isle and my cousin told me about a couple other spots we have yet to try. Grew up in Pittsburgh, so, Lake Erie was our summertime destination. Boating, fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, beach 11 lounging, lots of fun... We used to have fires with driftwood out on gull point, but no humans allowed anymore. I watched that lake go from murky to clearer than tropical in my lifetime. Good old invasive species! Awesome wreck diving...

Great town in the summer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze