This forum is talking me out of buying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whereabouts? My cousins live in mill creek and further west. Some family still up there, my mom grew up in Erie. We go to Sara's on Presque Isle and my cousin told me about a couple other spots we have yet to try. Grew up in Pittsburgh, so, Lake Erie was our summertime destination. Boating, fishing, scuba diving, snorkeling, beach 11 lounging, lots of fun... We used to have fires with driftwood out on gull point, but no humans allowed anymore. I watched that lake go from murky to clearer than tropical in my lifetime. Good old invasive species! Awesome wreck diving...

Great town in the summer!

I grew up in the Millcreek area very near McDowell High School. We did a bunch of beach tent camping at Sara's before getting the camper. Good family owned business. We have not been there since getting the camper as we were always a little worried going over the mountains with my previous TV. Hoping to get there maybe this summer.

Another cool small world note... my dad grew up in Doylestown. His childhood home is now a strip mall. I still have cousins that live in Bucks County. Not sure where, don't hang out. Just facebook friends/family type folk.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More I read about trans issues, shocks, cam phasers, and the dvd being subpar, it just makes me not want to drop the coin on this. I already have a junky van people swore was good.

I don’t even know what I want now. GM stuff isn’t known for reliability and I’ve watched family get burned by them. The Toyota offering is outdated and doesn’t seem to have the space in back I want.
Just a frustrating situation.

Look, I can tell you this. I spent 9 months studying various products from various manufacturers and my budget was very diverse. Nothing is perfect right now, for example, I looked at the Seqouia, fully loaded, and the interior, dash, etc sucked. Yes, the drivetrain is reliable as hell but the 5.7L is nothing new, and not efficient (and at my elevation, the naturally aspirated stuff is just not great). I looked at the Land Cruiser, and while it has a much better interior and features, the 3rd row and rear sucked.

I've driven about 10 different GM Yukons, Suburbans, etc over the last couple years and while I like some features, I didn't like the ride, the roll, etc. I way more like the GM lane departure warning system, but other things sucked.
From a GM perspective, the only thing I didn't try was an Escalade and that's because I refuse to pay the 15K difference, same as the Lincoln to me.

I researched and drove the Nissan Armada and Infiniti variant, and they were okay. The nissan sucked feature/interior wise, the Infiniti was nicer but had the same 5.6L engine and wasn't as roomy or comfortable as the Expedition.

I've only ever owned Jeeps, and while they suffer from some issues, they were damn nice SUV's and they were unbelievably tough. It took a lot for me to buy my first Ford, and other than ****** service from Ford Motor Credit/Ford customer service related to FMC, I'm happy as hell. Doesn't mean I haven't found little things I don't like, but hell, I found a lot of things I hated in a $110K Tesla Model X. I'm picky as hell and so far, i'm happy with it. Of course, time will tell.

todadamson

Reaction score
Very happy with my Platinum....nothing to complain about except the dealer out here is disappointing. They didn't want to answer my question because I didn't buy the car from them. No problem. I bought the shop manual on eBay and I will use someone else.

johnmc

Reaction score
There is a reason that Ford lost $1.7B in 4th Qtr. Quality is suffering. Both design and parts quality. I wonder if a lot of OEM parts aren't coming out of China. I bet the Japanese and Koreans don't use many Chinese parts.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look, I can tell you this. I spent 9 months studying various products from various manufacturers and my budget was very diverse. Nothing is perfect right now, for example, I looked at the Seqouia, fully loaded, and the interior, dash, etc sucked. Yes, the drivetrain is reliable as hell but the 5.7L is nothing new, and not efficient (and at my elevation, the naturally aspirated stuff is just not great). I looked at the Land Cruiser, and while it has a much better interior and features, the 3rd row and rear sucked.

I've driven about 10 different GM Yukons, Suburbans, etc over the last couple years and while I like some features, I didn't like the ride, the roll, etc. I way more like the GM lane departure warning system, but other things sucked.
From a GM perspective, the only thing I didn't try was an Escalade and that's because I refuse to pay the 15K difference, same as the Lincoln to me.

I researched and drove the Nissan Armada and Infiniti variant, and they were okay. The nissan sucked feature/interior wise, the Infiniti was nicer but had the same 5.6L engine and wasn't as roomy or comfortable as the Expedition.

I've only ever owned Jeeps, and while they suffer from some issues, they were damn nice SUV's and they were unbelievably tough. It took a lot for me to buy my first Ford, and other than ****** service from Ford Motor Credit/Ford customer service related to FMC, I'm happy as hell. Doesn't mean I haven't found little things I don't like, but hell, I found a lot of things I hated in a $110K Tesla Model X. I'm picky as hell and so far, i'm happy with it. Of course, time will tell.

Ya I agree the N/A engines are pretty lackluster at higher altitudes
I personally would not by anything that is not turbocharged
Love having the same performance in Flagstaff that I have in the valley

Brent Harward

Reaction score
OK. Forced to write gud stuff. We've had 3 Expy's. 97 Eddy B. 2003 Ed B. and a 2013 Tex Ranch. All bought new. 97 n 03 had 140+K at trade in. Current 13 has 105 and I'm expecting 4-5 mo years before trading. 03 had a bearing go covered by new car warranty. Keep'm serviced and enjoy. ALL American car dealers suck tho. Only Lexus or Mazda/Toyota treat ya right in my opinion. Just Sayin'

johnmc

Reaction score
tourbo's might be great for power and meeting EPA metrics. Can't every see how they would be great for reliability. I am a retired engr and I raced cars for almost decade. Don't won't tourbo's on my passenger car. Lot of heat and pressure. Not good for reliability. Not a fan of the EPA sponsored "Stall/start" systems either. Give me an expedition with a normally aspirated V8 and no Stall/Start. and also an ABS that can't fail all brakes at once. The ABS HCU should have two hydraulic compartments just like the master cylinder. That's the way I would have designed it to avoid the "no brakes" problem that we solved in the late 60s.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tourbo's might be great for power and meeting EPA metrics. Can't every see how they would be great for reliability. I am a retired engr and I raced cars for almost decade. Don't won't tourbo's on my passenger car. Lot of heat and pressure. Not good for reliability. Not a fan of the EPA sponsored "Stall/start" systems either. Give me an expedition with a normally aspirated V8 and no Stall/Start. and also an ABS that can't fail all brakes at once. The ABS HCU should have two hydraulic compartments just like the master cylinder. That's the way I would have designed it to avoid the "no brakes" problem that we solved in the late 60s.

I guess all the semi truck diesel manufacturers need to hire you to help them figure out how to make their trucks more reliable cause we all know those things are highly unreliable. Maybe it is the tourbo's that are unreliable and not the turbo's though? I was always under the impression that engines designed to have forced induction did just fine, the problem was putting forced induction on engines not designed for it. Either way, I would take the ecoboost over the hemi I had before this. Maybe if I towed everyday I would feel different but for the dozen trips a year I pull the trailer I am happy as a clam with the ecoboost.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a reason that Ford lost $1.7B in 4th Qtr. Quality is suffering. Both design and parts quality. I wonder if a lot of OEM parts aren't coming out of China. I bet the Japanese and Koreans don't use many Chinese parts.
Same can be said for every auto maker. They all source parts from the same sources. Having said that auto makers the larger ones have more pull to get better quality stuff. Just ask a current Subaru owner or Volvo, Jag owner. Its not pretty

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score

At work we have a 2015 F-150 with the EcoBoost that has over 180k on the odometer with zero turbo or engine problems. Runs parts to crews all over the state. One of our foreman has a 15 EcoBoost with over 200K and has only had the oil pan re sealed. Pretty reliable if you ask me. It’s not 1970 anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk